I took my daughter for a Halloween sail yesterday after not having been out for a few months. I've made several changes to the boat so this was a shake-down cruise. The jib furler worked flawlessly. I changed over to the regular jib and I'm glad I did. The bowsprit was a good addition but I didn't get to fly the spinnaker. My home-made kick-up rudder worked well also. The new tiller sticks up a little high but it worked well.
I installed a new, larger sail but the stock boom was too short, so I made a new boom out of a Hobie-14 mast. This will take some more tweaking before I go out again. I made it into a roller-furling boom that could be easier to roll up with some modifications. I really like the rolled up sail because it's easy to store and to set up. I had to install a chicken-head at the top of the mast and revise the halyard pulley so the sail would fit beneath the rear stay. The new sail is crisp so I can tighten up the outhaul for a flat sail and the boat doesn't lean so much like it did with the old, baggy sail. Here is a picture of the boat ready to go at the dock:
You can see the jib furler, new bowsprit, gas struts on the pop-top, rolled up main sail, and new tiller handle. All of these modifications have put the fun in sailing by removing some of the tedious chores like installing the jib hanks on the forestay, fighting with the pop-top, worrying about grounding the rudder and fighting with the sail when it is down.
Here's a picture of my little boat on the trailer after we finished sailing:
I have done a lot of work on the cabin as well but I don't get to see much of that when sailing. I plan to do some overnight trips in the coming months and maybe I'll get to enjoy the new interior then.
Aubrey Scott in Texas