Mast and Boom for Venture 222

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
gwjay
Just Enlisted

Mast and Boom for Venture 222

Post by gwjay »

I have a venture 222 and just yesterday went and pulled my boat from the marina I kept her in. Well sometime over the winter some one paddled out to the island the dock is on and stole the Mast, boom and rigging, oh and the mast step as well.

I was wondering if anyone had a good lead on a cheap repleacement. Wether from someone upgrading or if they know a good supplier. That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Geoffrey
mastreb
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Mast and Boom for Venture 222

Post by mastreb »

There's Dwyer Mast & Boom. They sell extrusions and almost certainly have the closest thing to stock for your boat. They sell goosenecks, hounds, etc. as well so if you can get another owner to measure out the holes for you it would be relatively easy to rebuild a mast.

You may have to fabricate your own mast step however.

http://www.dwyermast.com/
Judy B
First Officer
Sailboat: Other
Location: San Francisco Bay area and any where my hybrid SUV can tow my boat

Post by Judy B »

Sorry to hear your rigging was stolen! What kind of person would steal a mast and boom!?!? I hope it wasn't another sailor. maybe somebody sold them to a scrap metal dealer??

Where do you live? That will deterine which option is the cheapest for you. masts and booms are very expensive to shipThere are spar manufacturers on both coasts, and they deliver goods by truck. You want to piggyback on their scheduled deliveries to keep costs down if you have to buy a new mast. But I'd guess finding a used replacement near you is going to be the cheapest alternative.

Get in touch with Rig-Rite. They specialize in replacement rigging for classic plastic boats. They know more than anybody about replacement spars for old production boats like the Venture. (except maybe the MacGregor Factory)

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Rig-Rite_S ... Masts.html

Here's a list of spar manufacturers. Pick one nearest you.

http://www.soverel33.com/Quicklinks/Spars/Links.html

Other suggestions:

1. Find a used mast in a boatyard near you. A rigger can help you select one that's appropriate.
2. find the spar manufacturer who is closest to you.
3. Check with the MacGregor factory to see if they can supply a drawing of the mast.
4. Do you have any new boat dealers near you? Can you adapt a mast from one of their boats? When they get a boat delivered to them, the factory can ship you an additional mast at little to no cost for freight.

Hope these suggestions help you focus your search and save you some time and money.

Fair winds,
Judy B
Hyde Sails of Northern California
gwjay
Just Enlisted

Post by gwjay »

Thanks for the advice- I have been searching craigslist and ebay for things local. with the costs of mast I may beable to find a sailable project boat for the cost of new mast and rigging or even less. and since I have a trailer I can save a bit that way as well.

Any one know of anything cheap in the Maryland area??
Judy B
First Officer
Sailboat: Other
Location: San Francisco Bay area and any where my hybrid SUV can tow my boat

Post by Judy B »

Do you have any insurance on the boat? Homeowners or renters insurance? You may be covered.

In Maryland there are TONS of boatyards. Have you called rigging shops and boat yards for used masts. Much better source than craigslist or ebay. They've probably got a "project mast" that you can cut down and use. Move the spreaders and tangs to the right location.

I recommend SecoSouth.com for replacement stays and shrouds. they're excellent quality and sell to the public at almost wholesale prices.

Fair winds,
Judy B
Sailmaker
Hyde Sails of Northern CA.