Possibly buying a Mac 25 and looking for some advice

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Keel_Hauled
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Possibly buying a Mac 25 and looking for some advice

Post by Keel_Hauled » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Hey, you've been looking !!! :D :D :D

I gotta get that taken care of :?

Steve K
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Steve K » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi Zoneboy,

As promised, here are some more shots of the Catalina 22 restoration. There are a few of the almost completed boat and then several of fiberglassing, fairing and finishing the cast iron keel (which weighed in at around 550lbs, btw).

These pics are around 14 years old and digital cameras were not what they are now, but the pics aren't too bad. You can see the shine, shine, shiny in some of them. :wink:

http://www.box.com/s/e25891a375be219e88a7

Best Breezes,
SK

zoneboy
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 21

Post by zoneboy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Steve K wrote:Hi Zoneboy,

As promised, here are some more shots of the Catalina 22 restoration. There are a few of the almost completed boat and then several of fiberglassing, fairing and finishing the cast iron keel (which weighed in at around 550lbs, btw).

These pics are around 14 years old and digital cameras were not what they are now, but the pics aren't too bad. You can see the shine, shine, shiny in some of them. :wink:

http://www.box.com/s/e25891a375be219e88a7

Best Breezes,
SK
Now that is sharp, I'm looking at my sailboat sitting in my front yard right now and wondering how I could do anything as you did. Just having her sitting there, is enough to show me that you really have this stuff down to move boats around like you do. To be honest, I'm a bit intimidated lol. She is HUGE, nestled in my yard she makes my windstar look like a bug. I'll figure it out, right now I am just thinking how I am going to move her to my back yard. The lady that dropped her off, did so for free so I didn't even want to suggest we get her back there this late at night. I've got about ten feet between the end of my A/C and to the neighbor's fence, I wonder how much weight my riding lawn mower can pull 8)

My hats off to any of you that trailer these boats, and to think a lot of you have much larger sailboats.

zoneboy
Chief Steward

Post by zoneboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:10 am

Okay, I have had time to let it settle in now. I have a boat :) I can't express how great I feel right now. I suppose a dream coming to realization can seem pretty big at first, I honestly didn't think I would get one. The previous owner is a great person, she actually had it towed 70 miles to my location for free.. and this is for a $600 boat. I took a bit more time to inspect the boat, and she really looks great. There are a few cosmetic issues here and there, but I am getting used to her. I spent a few hours poking and prodding, and have come to appreciate how good of shape she actually is in. What I need to do now, is raise the mast and check out the standing rigging.

Right now, I'm just going to concentrate on getting her clean. To raise the mast, I'm going to have to move her away from the electric lines and also do a bit of research on how to do it first. A priority that I have come up with, after getting her clean is to remove the keel and have it sandblasted, and epoxied as Steve mentioned. I also want to get a new keel bolt, and the wire to raise and lower it. It is all working right now, but I would hate to have the keel fall at the bottom of the bay later on in the future. Then there is the electrical work, but I don't plan on having very much here. Just enough to power an anchor light, internal light, navigation lights, and a cig lighter to recharge my cellphone. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I hope with a bit of luck I may have her on water by August.

I'm wondering if my 3.8L Windstar can tow her back and fourth to the boat ramp though. I plan on adding a transmission cooler, a trailer hinge, and the drive is less than ten miles on flat ground. The public ramp is pretty decent and as far as I have seen doesn't accumulate gunk nor is it very steep. Or perhaps, I should just pay someone to tow her, once I have fixed her up, to tow her to a Marina to get a wet slip later on down the road. If I do tow her, I think I will do so around 4 am when the traffic in my area is at a minimum.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll keep you all updated with my progress and appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:10 am

Ten miles on flat ground you won't need a trans cooler and the Windstar will be fine.

Doug91mac26s
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Doug91mac26s » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:41 am

FWIW I found this posting;

All comments are not mine... just thought I would pass it on.

Question:
We have a 3.8L 98 Ford Windstar that does not have a towing package. If we install a class 3 trailer hitch with load equalizing bars and an aux. transmission fluid cooler, and a brake controller, would the Windstar be able to pull a 3,200 lb trailer?

Answer:
Not likely at all. The Windstar is really nothing but a Taurus with a van body on it. The brakes, transmission, suspension etc is not made for that kind of weight. That would be very dangerous. I don't believe you could even buy a class 3 hitch for that vehicle. There is no frame back there to even attach it to.

The standard towing capacity was 2000 lbs and suddenly in 98 they offered a 3500 lb option. Personally, I wouldn't tow 2000lbs with one. If your truck doesn't have that option, then you only have a 2000 lb capacity and without trailer brakes, I wouldn't want to be driving that truck with that amount of weight behind it. I routinely tow a 3500lb boat with a Blazer and even with ABS 4 wheel disc brakes, it doesn't stop well and can be very dangerous in the rain. I doubt the transmission will hold up either even with a cooler.

My expert opinion is that your vehicle would be dangerous to drive, hard to stop and abusive to the transmission with that much weight behind it. If you still want to try it, go right ahead.

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:11 pm

LOL...there is truth to both sides...if you look at the Windstar tow rating in the book and it seems to be okay, that's one thing. Doug's post also has some very serious points well made. BUT - 10 miles from Spring Hill to...Port Richey or New Port Richey maybe to launch - have you watched the original video's for the 26S or D?? They hauled that boat with a little toy import truck... (Besides what traffic are you talking about??? LOL...just stay off of 19!) :P

Anyway, my point is this - will you be able to tow your boat? Probably. Is it the best thing to do to your Windstar? Probably not. Does your wife need to use the Windstar every day? Maybe you should consider what you have to do for all parties involved and all of the factors...like what happens if you DO break down, what happens if you tear up the tranny, how old and how many miles are already on the van, etc.

We have a Ford Taurus station wagon - originally I thought it might work to tow our 26. Um...well...no. Will it actually tow it? I'm certain it will...the dumb car will hold 7 people and 150# of luggage, and still has a tow rating of 1000#. There are only two of us (and she's little)...I can do the math well enough to know that the car CAN do it, but I can't afford to destroy our main vehicle at this time, so we aren't even going to attempt it.

We are going to put the boat in a mast-up on-trailer storage and only use the vehicle to launch and retrieve - no over-the-road towing...in our case, the gas savings makes sense (we're an hour from Tampa Bay towing, longer to the intercoastal), so that's a $50 round trip each time we'd want to sail...not to mention the wear-and-tear on the car.

Oh, why am I rambling like this...there are tons of posts about tow vehicles in the forums...sorry 'bout that! :|

zoneboy
Chief Steward

Post by zoneboy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Good points all around. The Windstar is not our main vehicle, but my main concern is safety.

Right now I have other concerns though, it appears that while she was being towed the sailboat became off center and the old wooden support beam on the left side broke in 2 places. the starboard side has been sitting on the broken wooden beam. There are 2 indents now. Through some bruit force I was able to center the sailboat, and have also provided some additional support. The indents have shrunk a little but I am a bit worried that there maybe permanent damage. I've been researching on how to build a cradle to lift the both of the trailer.

Hopefully I come up with a solution soon, It is just a lot a boat lift up in the air.

As always thank you for all the of suggestions, I apologize if there are any typos I am writing on my android.

Steve K
Captain

Post by Steve K » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi Zoneboy,

They are big, but comparatively light for their size. My D boat weighs 1600lbs dry, with nothing in it. If you can find out the weight of your boat, it may surprise you. I think my X boat was 2300 and my Catalina 22 was around 1800, iron keel included.
All much lighter than you would expect.

I don't know if we talked about this or not... I did with someone several days ago. (memory is the second thing to go...... I forget what the first one was :wink: )
Anyway, you can lower the trailer jack all the way, then build a stand to go under the stern. Then, many times, by cranking the trailer jack back up you can lift the whole boat off the bunks enough to remove/replace them. If the trailer jack is too tired to do this, then a floor jack up under the front somewhere, with some blocking might do it.
You must build things so they are stable. Always block the trailer wheels so you're sure things won't roll when you don't want them to.
Grab some old carpet from the dumpster behind the carpet store, to use as padding where you need it. It helps if you ask the store first, of course :wink:.
Any stands or blocking you come up with should be reasonably shaped to fit the boat hull. This is usually just a V shape on the bottom of most Macs, so not too hard. Think 2X4s and bolts for your stand. Don't rely on just nailing or screwing things together. (you can screw it all together initially but thru-bolt those joints before you put weight on them).

Flat spots or indention on old trailer boat hulls is the norm. They all get them to some extent. I changed the 2x4 bunks on my trailer to 2x6 and it has helped on my D boat.
I also sprung for pressure treated lumber for the new bunks and the look really good, after six years. I just re-carpeted them a couple weeks ago.

Okay enough for now. Holler if you need help :wink:

Best Breezes
Steve K.
Mac 26D "Three Sheets"

zoneboy
Chief Steward

Post by zoneboy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks again Steve, btw I used soft scrub on the inside, and partially outside and it did clean a lot of the gunk off. Still a few stains here and there, but nothing that I can't live with. She was neglected for a while, from what the previous owner told me, the original owner bought her new and passed away a few years ago. So, I imagine she was sitting around for a long while before the owner before me bought her. I don't know if the owner before me sailed her any, but the boat really was dirty and has not been registered for a year.

Anyway, I was going to buy EZ-ON EZ-OFF as doug suggested but my wife had bought a lot of sno bol on clearance and I gave it a try. Check out the results.

I have a few more shots here:
http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r63 ... 0cleaning/

Just as a side note, I was careful not to allow it to drip on my trailer.. then just in case washed down the boat and trailer for a while to clear it all out. I've only done half of the boat so far, but it took out a lot of the mess. Unfortunately, there are a ton of blisters on her, with quite a few that have been broken open. Also, the roof of the cabin was never gelcoated, there is a ton of flaking paint I'm gonna have to deal with, but it isn't all so bad.

Steve K
Captain

Post by Steve K » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:52 pm

These things take time :wink: I have to say wow! You've been busy.

Not sure what you mean about the roof never being gel-coated. It would have to have been during the molding process. Are you sure there is not gel-coat under said flaking paint? If not, I would say someone sanded it down to bare fiberglass at some point. Refinishing fixes all that stuff though :wink:

The blisters are plentiful, but this too can be dealt with. Don't let them stop you from taking the boat out for a sail, but do check for seepage, when you do.

My main concern now from the pics is the dented place, from the broken bunk. I would relieve the stress on the hull in this spot, as soon as you can. It will reshape itself some, but not completely after you take the stress off.
Find this spot on the inside of the hull and check for splintered fiberglass. If there is, a repair will be in order, which can also be done from the inside with some added layers of fiberglass and epoxy, to strengthen it back up. When you get ready to do this (if you need to) holler at me and I'll walk you through the process, if you need it. :wink:

Best Breezes,
Steve K
Mac 26D "Three Sheets"

zoneboy
Chief Steward

Post by zoneboy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Steve K wrote:These things take time :wink: I have to say wow! You've been busy.

Not sure what you mean about the roof never being gel-coated. It would have to have been during the molding process. Are you sure there is not gel-coat under said flaking paint? If not, I would say someone sanded it down to bare fiberglass at some point. Refinishing fixes all that stuff though :wink:

The blisters are plentiful, but this too can be dealt with. Don't let them stop you from taking the boat out for a sail, but do check for seepage, when you do.

My main concern now from the pics is the dented place, from the broken bunk. I would relieve the stress on the hull in this spot, as soon as you can. It will reshape itself some, but not completely after you take the stress off.
Find this spot on the inside of the hull and check for splintered fiberglass. If there is, a repair will be in order, which can also be done from the inside with some added layers of fiberglass and epoxy, to strengthen it back up. When you get ready to do this (if you need to) holler at me and I'll walk you through the process, if you need it. :wink:

Best Breezes,
Steve K
Mac 26D "Three Sheets"
So far, I don't see any splintered fiberglass - but it is getting darker out so I'll have to take a better look tomorrow. Most of the stress has been taken off thankfully, when I centered the boat. My guess is that while my boat was being towed from Tampa, the board supporting my starboard side snapped and she slipped a bit. The keel was resting on the trailer instead of the wooden support beam designed for it.

I really hope there is no more damage, I'll have to take a better look tomorrow - but the problem is - the dent is located right where the dinette area is, and that area is sectioned off in such a way that it is hard to see what is going on under where the table is placed.

Inside of the cabin, the ceiling (not sure of nautical terms here :D ) just looks as though it came painted, under the flakes of paint I can seethe weave of fiberglass throughout the cabin. Someone did try to paint over the fakes though, which is pretty funny. I'll have to take a few pictures, it seems this is just the way they were built. The actual deck on the topside has a gelcoat though. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it all.

billstevens_1999
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by billstevens_1999 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:13 pm

I have a V25 with a trailer which I bought just off the Clearwater Causeway. I live in New Port Richey and have seen a number of Macs in the area. I pull mine with a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger just being careful when driving. I have also seen several Mac 25s for sale locally. My wife and I camp regularly during the summer on water, sometimes with grandchildren. The 25 is really comfortable. My advice is keep looking on craigslist and sailboat trader. Good luck.

zoneboy
Chief Steward

Post by zoneboy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Good news, my father came down for Easter and helped me put in a 13' 2 x 6 board to support the broken one. We made a temporary cradle to support the stern but couldn't get the bow to lift no matter what we did.. so instead we lowered the bunk placed the new board over the broken one, and raised the bunk. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to do any further than that but now my boat is sitting up straight and pretty. Best of all, I can not see the dents at all anymore, it is as though my boat were built from rubbermaid. I checked for any cracks, or fractures in the fiberglass and didn't see anything so perhaps I am just really lucky.

It is an Easter day miracle! :? Happy Easter everyone.

zoneboy
Chief Steward

Post by zoneboy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:30 pm

billstevens_1999 wrote:I have a V25 with a trailer which I bought just off the Clearwater Causeway. I live in New Port Richey and have seen a number of Macs in the area. I pull mine with a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger just being careful when driving. I have also seen several Mac 25s for sale locally. My wife and I camp regularly during the summer on water, sometimes with grandchildren. The 25 is really comfortable. My advice is keep looking on craigslist and sailboat trader. Good luck.
Thanks Bill, I really liked the V25 I looked at. It was much roomier than I thought it would be, and a very pretty boat. I went with the v23 though as the price was low, and it came with a nice trailer. I can tell the difference in size though - such as with sitting at the port settee - I can't lean back against the hull and I have to duck my head a bit because of the low head room. At least, I can sit at the dinette though with enough head room and back support. It is still big enough though, as a matter of fact a couple of nights ago I obliged my daughters request to camp out on the boat. They took the dinette bunk, and I slept on the port settee and we all watched netflix in relative comfort. I can see myself doing that for several days, except with them up in the forward berth and me on the dinette.