compression post problem

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Mac 25
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: compression post problem

Post by Mac 25 »

This is my first sailboat and the only one I have ever been on.
I got into sailing when most people my age are looking at cemetery plots.
I bought the boat to give me something to do, to stay out of the bars.
Now I think it would have been cheaper to go to the bar.
The only thing the PO did,was wear out all the running rigging and lines.
The compression post problem was there when I bought the boat, but
not as bad as it is now.
All mods were done by me with the help of a machinist friend of mine.
The shrouds and stays are snug, not tight. The MacGregor site said snug
not tight, what ever that means.I have a Loos gauge but have never found
a real number for my boat.
Would like to know how the compression post set up is on the 26s and 26m.
Getting information out of you guys is like pulling teeth.
RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RobertB »

I have been reading the posts to try to figure out exactly what you need. Since I cannot see any pictures of the actual bracket, the best I can figure out is that the angle bracket about a foot or so from the floor is bent. Since I own a :macm: , I do not know what the access to this bracket is. So, I will go on some assumptions:
I assume there is access to both the bracket and the fasteners that hold it. Is the bulkhead that it is connected to intact - not damaged? If both are true, then I would recommend removing the bracket and either having it straightened and add gussets to strengthen it or just replace with a heavier item.
I really do not think people are avoiding the issue, just without a clear picture of the problem, it is hard to offer advice.
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

RobertB wrote:I have been reading the posts to try to figure out exactly what you need. Since I cannot see any pictures of the actual bracket, the best I can figure out is that the angle bracket about a foot or so from the floor is bent. Since I own a :macm: , I do not know what the access to this bracket is. So, I will go on some assumptions:
I assume there is access to both the bracket and the fasteners that hold it. Is the bulkhead that it is connected to intact - not damaged? If both are true, then I would recommend removing the bracket and either having it straightened and add gussets to strengthen it or just replace with a heavier item.
I really do not think people are avoiding the issue, just without a clear picture of the problem, it is hard to offer advice.
Exactly, at this point not enough info. Can you take a picture or make a better isometric drawing. In the one drawing that shows the angle iron I'd also suggests gussets or possibly replace it with rectangular tubing with the long side vertical. Still we need some better views of the problem.

I was hoping someone else with a 25 would already of addressed this,

Sumner

============================
Our MacGregor 26-S

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Mac 25
Just Enlisted

Post by Mac 25 »

Sumner
I still can't download pictures.
If I can get you to up load the 2 photos and 1 new drawing I have in my MacGregor Owners album folder
they mite make more sense.
To Robert B.
I am new to sailing, but I have 40+yrs.of power boat ownership from 8ft. to 37ft.
Does that area have water damage to the core so the mast post went thru the roof
What year and model boat do you have, so others can help you out.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS »

This is not a common problem on the 25's. In fact I haven't heard of anyone else having it (not that I am the authority on Mac25's, but I have done an aweful lot of research on them). This seems to be a boat specific problem. Another possible cause could be that the mast is "pumping". This can happen if the rig is improperly tensioned. Not saying you have it wrong, but maybe the PO did and started the problem. That "brace" you are referring to has nothing to do with compression post. It is a lateral support for the keel trunk ( keeps the trunk from falling over from the weight of the keel laying on it under sail).
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

Mac 25 wrote:....If I can get you to up load the 2 photos and 1 new drawing I have in my MacGregor Owners album folder
they mite make more sense.....

Sounds like you might be getting help from the post above. I still can't see enough to really understand the problem. Sorry,

Sumner

============================
Our MacGregor 26-S

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RobertB »

Mac 25 wrote: I am new to sailing, but I have 40+yrs.of power boat ownership from 8ft. to 37ft.
Does that area have water damage to the core so the mast post went thru the roof
What year and model boat do you have, so others can help you out.
The boat is a 2012 :macm: .
Both the deck (white and broken) and the daggerboard trunk (below the deck) are solid fiberglass.
The problem is that the mast step (where it presses on the deck when the mast is pulled forward) does not sit evenly and on the right/starboard side has broken the deck away. Only on the left/starboard side is it adequately supported by the daggerboard trunk. Reference the rust spots to ID the contact area.
Reason for the problem: it appears my mast was installed off center of the daggerboard trunk.
Mac 25
Just Enlisted

Post by Mac 25 »

Thank You Sumner for your help again
I think I know how to fix my problem.
Would like to know what someone with a Loos Guage is setting there upper and lower shrouds at on
there Macgregor 25?

Robert B.
Since no one is coming to your rescue, I will give you my two cents
First I would go to the Garhauer website and look up MAST PLATES and find one larger then the damaged area.
Next I would frame the damaged area with masking tape to mark the real center for the mast base.
Next I would get a tube of West System Six 10 epoxy, this is thickened epoxy and it gives you around 5hrs before
it sets up hard. Cut strips of fiberglass to help fill in damage.You need a caulking gun with Six 10 which is self
mixing when it comes out of the tube.Add layer of epoxy then glass, use a small brush to work the epoxy into
the glass, repeat till damage is filled.Let dry and your done. Epoxy is water proof.
Center mast base to mast plate and mark your holes then drill. Set mast plate over damaged area and use your
center marks on the masking tape. Drill mounting holes in roof using mast plate holes as template. Seal bolt heads
and bolt everything back in place. This also gives you a place to add extra blocks.
When you are done it will look like a mod, not some hack job repair.
This was my two cents. Good Luck
THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Shroud tension 12 to 15 % of the breaking strength of the wire.
Mac 25
Just Enlisted

Post by Mac 25 »

The Cuscus
Thank you for your reply. I have one more question for you. I was looking at your photo album on the other site and you did
the keel mod. Was it worth the time and trouble? I'm not a racer, but would like to squeeze every bit
of speed out of this boat.
I don't want to build a platform like you did. I would rent a hi lo take the boat off the trailer
lower the boat 2 ft. off the ground, winch the keel to the ground take off the cable and lower
the whole boat on the ground remove the 3/4 bolt drop the keel put the boat back on the trailer sent the hi lo back
take the boat and trailer back to storage. So, is it worth it.
I will be getting this spring the Rudder Craft performance rudder.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Hmmmm.....worth the time an effort?? I wonder that with everything I do to the boat(s).......lol. There are plenty of 25's sailing around with the keel untouched, so one could say it doesn't need done. I did it more for the fact that I now know what I have and what condition it is in. My boat has been brought back to new or better than new condition. I like things to work and work properly, so I can go out sailing anywhere without experiencing mechanical failures. I think your idea to remove your keel will work, if you are comfortable being under the boat while suspended. You will a jack to put the keel back in, cause lining the pivot holes back up is alittle tricky. My full keel mod is on this site too.
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1483
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1484

I was going to get the Rudder Craft rudder, but got a bigger boat and now the Mac is sitting idle. From what I hear it makes a big difference.