Mac 25 Restoration

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Sisu
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: Mac 25 Restoration

Post by Sisu » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:55 pm

Freedom77 wrote:Sisu: LOOKS GREAT! I built a rudder out of teak. $$$$$. A lot of the stock Mac rudders were fiberglass over foam which tended to swell and crack. Ruddercraft builds an excellent product. Also check with Blue Water Yachts in Seattle. The specialize in Mac/Venture stuff. What did you use for interior paint? Also, check between mast step and keel trunk sometimes under mast post there is a gap which has to be shimmed up or the deck will pump and your mast might buckle. Not a good day at sea. :P Welcome to the Legion of the Damned! Keep us posted. Fair Winds and Full Sails...Old Salt.
Thanks! The paint is high-gloss exterior enamel, which we rolled/brushed on. Yeah, I looked at the ruddercraft replacement - We'll go with that if we have to but $480 would go a long way toward other stuff on the boat. "Fix it and Sail" had a design for a stitch and glue plywood rudder, does anyone know anyone who built something like that?

There's maybe a 1/8" or less gap under the post, which I plan to shim with a little HDPE sheeting.

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:12 pm

THE CUSCUS wrote:Sisu, your boat is looking good there. I do agree the Ventures had many good features. The ones towards the end on their run, especially. Mine is a 1979. I know having the jib track closer to centerline will allow you to point alittle better when using the jib as compared to having the track outboard, but when I'm racing I'm not using the jib :wink:
Add your location to your profile so we all can see where you are from.
I like your setup using J/24 sails. Maybe in a few seasons we'll look into that. I do think I found a good source for a spinnaker - if my estimates are correct the old E-Scow symmetrical rigs are about the right size. There are a bunch of E-Scows around here (Oshkosh, WI by the way), and all have converted to asyms, so there should be a bunch of old gear lying around we may be able to pick up. Rigging for symmetricals is a pain though. Mast tracks, topping lifts, foreguys, twings, and what not. Probably cheaper than a new kite though.

Thewrathofodysseus

Post by Thewrathofodysseus » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:32 am

You're making excellent progress! Did you cut the new bulkheads yourself? Additionally, if you don't mind me asking what did the new windows and tiller cost you? And lastly, have you had any luck finding some sort of guide for rewiring? I've scoured the Internet and can only find diagrams, but nothing very informative....

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:41 pm

The bulkheads are 1/2" Lauan exterior plywood (finished on both sides) with exterior paint. The rudder was $99 (unfinished), and the windows were $120 I believe, both from Ruddercraft. Windows are now installed, I'll have more photos soon.

Edit: Lauan, not Okoume (Okoume is a good marine plywood for structural work but it's $$$$).

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:10 pm

All,

2 questions regarding my bottom paint/keel - see these photos:

(Yes, there was some damage to the keel trunk caused by a grounding a few years back - fixed by previous owner)

1. The boat will be kept on a slip this season, and we have a lot more things to do to finish the restoration so it would be a big help not to have to jack it up right now for the bottom job. Can we paint what is visible (basically the hull, except where the bunks are, and everything visible on the keel) and haul it at the end of the season for a more complete bottom job and some extensive keel work?

2. See the keel wire attachment - does this look OK? It's metal to metal and there's no thimble. Based on what I could find this isn't stock, probably done by the previous owner. Obviously this is important to get right so we'll re-do it if we have to.

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:24 am

The original way to hold the keel cable to the keel is with a 3/8" stainless steel bolt going through a thimble. The bolt goes through from the port side and the thimble is on the starboard side. Use large flat washers to "space" the cable away from keel so it doesn't rub. I use a nylon locknut and then use a centerpunch to stake the nut to the bolt for added insurance.

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:46 pm

THE CUSCUS wrote:The original way to hold the keel cable to the keel is with a 3/8" stainless steel bolt going through a thimble. The bolt goes through from the port side and the thimble is on the starboard side. Use large flat washers to "space" the cable away from keel so it doesn't rub. I use a nylon locknut and then use a centerpunch to stake the nut to the bolt for added insurance.
Doesn't that put sideloading on the keel? Wouldn't some sort of strap (either wire or stainless) to center up the cable behind the keel be better, or do most people rig it the factory way?

THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:25 am

The starboard side of the keel has a relief cut into it so the cable actually is in the center of the weight. Hard to tell from your pictures if your keel has that relief area. It also looks like your cable hole is a lot further from the edge than it should be.

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:09 am

Yeah, ours looks nothing like that - there's a small "nibble" in the trailing edge of the keel sort of in line with the wire but none of those other divots. It looks like it would only be a matter of time before the wire chafes through in its current configuration. I'm guessing the best option with the hole we currently have is to run a bolt through there and rig up a wire "bridle" to both sides of the bolt, then fasten the wire from the winch to the bridle.

THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:18 am

That should probably work ok. A short bridle with a thimble on each end and a thimble on the cable end with the bridle running through it. Only problem I see is that you will still have the bridle "rubbing" on he sides of the keel. What year is your boat? My '79 has a keel trunk that is as long as the keel, so the cable bolt goes up in to the trunk. Maybe that's why mine has the indented area, to give the bolt clearance to the trunk. It would be good if someone with a boat that has the shorter trunk would respond and show you how their cable attaches.

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:02 pm

It's an '85. Looking at it again, one potential issue is that there is not much clearance between the trailing edge of the keel and the trunk. Obviously that's by design, but it may preclude the use of anything too elaborate in the way of a bridle. As it is, you can see the top ferrule is level with the hull.

TIMBOAT2
Chief Steward

Post by TIMBOAT2 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:26 pm

The cuscus,
Can you outline the process you used in removing your swing keel please.
Thanks,
T

THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS » Thu May 12, 2016 8:38 am

Ok Tim, first get the boat off the trailer http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1428

leave the keel cable attached. I used an automotive type floor jack, a 6"x6" block with a V-notch in it, to support the front of the keel. Remove the keel bolt. Lower the floor jack and keel winch as needed to drop the keel. I also stuck 2 lengths of 2x4 from the ground up into the keel trunk to keep the keel from falling over on the way down once it was out of the trunk. I made a "keel buggy" to drop it into and then roll where I needed it to go. I helps to have an engine lift crane also to pick the bugger up.

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Hello folks,

Well, in the last few months since my last post we have just about finished the boat, and she is in the water for the rest of the summer. Here are some highlights from the rest of the restoration:

We needed new hatch tracks, as the old ones were rotted out. Rather than order Ruddercraft ones, we bought some mahogany stock and made our own. First we nibbled a groove with a table saw.

Then we Dremeled off the strip on the end

After some planing and sanding, here is the finished product next to the old one

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:27 pm

...and painted and installed

The windows took a lot of work to prep and replace, but we got there, and they look a hull of a lot better than the old ones

Got a good deal on some Lewmar #6 winches and replaced the tiny factory ones