Hello All- New guy alert

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Tradrockrat
Sailboat: Venture 25

Hello All- New guy alert

Post by Tradrockrat » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:22 am

Hello everyone. Just bought a Venture 25 and am in the process of fixing up all the little things that have been neglected by the PO.

I've been lurking about and reading old posts and just generally trying to get handle on the common concerns, mods, and fixes of the boat. Lot's of good knowledge here!

Anyway,, just wanted to say hi before I start posting questions, etc. I'll be posting my first question right after this - Thanks in advance!

Freedom77
First Officer

Re: Hello All- New guy alert

Post by Freedom77 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Welcome to the Legion of the Damned :evil: Where do ya live? Do you know what year/sail#/hull#? Great advice on this site. Fair Winds and Full Sails...Old Salt. 1976 V-25 #928.

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Welcome. Did those old posts mention having to buy pizza for everyone? I like extra cheese. :)
Tradrockrat wrote:Hello everyone. Just bought a Venture 25 and am in the process of fixing up all the little things that have been neglected by the PO.

I've been lurking about and reading old posts and just generally trying to get handle on the common concerns, mods, and fixes of the boat. Lot's of good knowledge here!

Anyway,, just wanted to say hi before I start posting questions, etc. I'll be posting my first question right after this - Thanks in advance!

cptron
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 pm

Meat lovers, no anchovies. :P :D :D
Welcome aboard.
B-Bring
O-Out
A-Another
T-Thousand
But above all, have fun and be safe.

Tradrockrat

Post by Tradrockrat » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.

The pizza is in the mail...promise...

I'll look up the hull number for ya later, Freedom77. I'm in Austin, Texas, and we plan on keeping her on the trailer and dropping her in the lakes. Maybe next summer heading out to the Gulf for some open water sailing.

I've got a sordid past of living on a Cal 25 for three years on the west coast and sailing around the channel islands. Looking forward to starting a new log-book of "things that do not float". :P

mrron_tx
First Officer

Post by mrron_tx » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:46 pm

Welcome: Meat lovers for Me :) Does Lake Travis have enough water yet?? Ron.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:11 pm

Welcome!!!!!

You will love that boat.

Welcome to the fray and make yourself at home.

--Russ

Freedom77
First Officer

Post by Freedom77 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 am

To Tradrockrat: Hook 'em Horns. I Lived in Austin on UT campus. Lots of Channel Islands sailing. Did you ever get to Santa Cruz Island? Do you have a name for your new yatch and when is the christening/pizza party. Keep us posted. Pics when possible. Fair Winds and Full Sails...Old Salt.

Doug W
Captain
Location: Prairie Home MO - Galactica - 2010 26M with Etec 60

Post by Doug W » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Welcome aboard! You're going to have a lot of fun with that boat!

Doug & Angie
sv Galactica

Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:08 pm

Welcome on board :)

Obelix

Tradrockrat

Post by Tradrockrat » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:26 am

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Ron - Lake Travis is as full as it's been in over 5 years. Alost all the boat ramps are open! Woohoo! We're going to put the boat in Lake Buchanan first, though. No reason except that's where the admiral wants to put it in. I'm just the captain, I do what I'm told when on land...I'm sure some of you know ...

Old Salt - I lived on Catalina for a year and a half and sailed pretty much every chance I got. Santa Cruz, San Miguel... I even did a Santa Barbara and around San Nicholas trip solo once. Sailed it down the coast to Mexico...etc. My longest trip was 5 days of non stop sailing down to Mexico and back, just to see if I could solo sail long distances, I was flirting with the idea of trading up to a 32 footer and taking the tradewinds. Decided I needed an autohelm and a better boat in order to answer the question. Spent 5 days paranoid I was going to "drift away" while napping...stupid Josh Slocum and his stupid book...lol

We are in a great debate about the name right now. She'll tell us her name when the time is right, I suspect.

Pics will follow.

Tsatzsue
Deckhand

Post by Tsatzsue » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:15 pm

I love mine. Best this I ever bought. Been having a blast. Took mine apart stem to stern. Some of my efforts are posted on our site North East Trailer Sailors. I'm actually the Commodore and have owned a boat only four years. Absolute blast. Having a glass of wine at sunset on the bow. Sometimes we do that with the boat still in the driveway next to my house planning the next adventure. Tough boat!! Cuscus is your best resource and a great guy. Feel free to pick my brain as well.

I like to sail more than work on the boat but the need to be safe on the New England waters warrants plenty of work. Boat mechanic with a sailing problem.

I have a 1977 V25. S/V Tsatzsue.

THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Welcome aboard. The V25 is a great, capable boat. Yet simple and inexpensive. I'm currently down in the Keys enjoying their windy end to winter. The boats shallow draft has saved my butt more than afew times.

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:13 am

Welcome aboard! (in a manner of speaking)

We were in Austin visiting at the end of January, and it was some beautiful weather...drove past Lake Travis and the lake was COVERED with sailcloth... I grew up in Miami, drive along the west coast of Florida every week, and (aside from a race) I don't think I'd ever seen that many sailboats all in one place at one time!! Was a beautiful sight.

You could probably sail up the river quite a ways also, depending on where you live/launch. That would be an interesting challenge!

By the way, the food in Austin was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Gordough's...south of town...that's "the" place. :wink:
And Perry's downtown on Friday for lunch - $14 for a pork chop plate that will stuff your whole family. Yum...

Did I mention that the food in Austin was amazing? :D