Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

The admiral questioned this...dinghy, kayak, SUP, etc.

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Do you use a dinghy, kayak, SUP, etc.? Pick the option that best describes you!

We normally sail for several days or longer, and take a dinghy, kayak, SUP, etc. with us.
44%
We normally only sail for a weekend, overnight, or daysail, but still take a dinghy, kayak, SUP, etc. with us.
No votes
We only sometimes take a dinghy, kayak, SUP, etc. with us.
22%
We do not normally take a dinghy, kayak, SUP, etc. with us, just the sailboat.
33%

Total votes : 9

The admiral questioned this...dinghy, kayak, SUP, etc.

Postby vizwhiz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 pm

So the admiral is afraid we'll look like the Clampett's if we tow our alternate water transport device behind the boat. I told her everyone does it...that it was the normal way people on smaller boats like ours brought them along. She disbelieved, and didn't understand why we might want to have it along, since we were going thru the effort to rig and sail the big boat already! So, i thought I'd try to help her see what percentage of sailors actually take a secondary water transport device along, even if they are just going overnight. Interested to see the results myself! :wink:

Please feel free to post a pic of your tow package... :D
Last edited by vizwhiz on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vizwhiz
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: The admiral questioned this...dinghy, kayak, SUP, etc.

Postby sailboatmike » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:53 am

But But But, what about " We sometimes take the dinghy / SUP with us"
sailboatmike
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby KootsChewt » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:42 pm

We normally tow at least our 8' Walker Bay (with water wings) even on day sails. Sometimes we also tow the SUP as well. For overnight or longer trips we definitely take both. We just did a 7 day trip and had both, plus the sail kit for the WB. At times I left the mast on the WB while towing it behind, like a little puppy!
KootsChewt
Deckhand

Location: Kootenay Lake, Nelson, BC, Canada [2008 26M, 20hp Merc 4-str, bought Sep '16, no new name yet]
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby vizwhiz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 pm

sailboatmike wrote:But But But, what about " We sometimes take the dinghy / SUP with us"

Alright...there ya go. :P
vizwhiz
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Dinghy poll vs. admiral mind made up

Postby K9Kampers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 am

vizwhiz wrote:So the admiral is afraid we'll look like the Clampett's if we...

My reasoning to whether or not to tow a dinghy is that it is easier, drier, quicker to row the dogs ashore than to swim them ashore...as well as setting second anchor, washing dishes, rowing in for supplies, etc,...versus swimming it for the same. It all makes sense to me, but the admiral doesn't do any of those tasks, so that reasoning doesn't mean anything to her.

Within the last year, we got for the house, a tankless water heater, New dishwasher & new washing machine. Wife did all the research based on what she wanted. I voiced challenges and compromises to each of her choices. We got what she wanted, yet now, despite the appliences working normal, the issues I outlined have made themselves known and somehow have become my fault and to deal with.

To those who quote that if the admiral ain't happy then no one is happy... I say THE ADMIRAL AIN'T EVER HAPPY!
K9Kampers
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Remember not only r u the skipper of the boat but u r also the commander in chief so as u r able to discharge said Admiral an appoint a new one ! ! :)

If that,s not feasible then demote her to workin class crew but give her a tittle to keep her spirits up like "Chief cook & bottle washer if she ask,s for more then give her chief head cleanin possition as well ! & tell her she should b happy now that she has two positions now instead of one :wink:

If all that fails then tell her U,ll also give up chief dinghy rower, dog walker & grocery & supply shopper positions just to keep her happy & explain to her that now she will b too busy to b grumpy & complainin all the time :P

If u r not shure how to go about this give me ur Ph # & I,ll talk to her & explain everything to her in explicit detail so as she understands ALL her new Duty,s now :D

Always glad to give out a helpin hand when it,s needed , That,s what friends r for right !

So let us all know how u make out with that !

Just sayin That,s All

J :D :D :D
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby sailboatmike » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Should I alert the emergency services just before you have that conversation, I feel head injuries may be the outcome :D
sailboatmike
Admiral

Return to MacGregor/Venture Discussion