Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

In need of Venture / Macgregor 25 Keel Replacement

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: In need of Venture / Macgregor 25 Keel Replacement

Postby nate8organic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:51 pm

Sumner wrote:
Bilgemaster wrote:... I mean, it's not like everyone is investing the time, effort and expense to make thoroughly-detailed diagrams of a variety of swing-keels that haven't been made in near half a century freely available online, right?

Just so there is no misunderstanding those are not my drawings but ones I found and posted...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-other-people/Other%20People-index.html

If the person that did do the drawings sees this I would love to give them credit,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Those are some pretty sweet rides you got there sumner! Thanks for keeping those files alive.
nate8organic
Just Enlisted

Sailboat: Venture 25

Postby Bilgemaster » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:59 am

I just noticed that little PayPal "Donate" button on Sumner's Home Page. Say no more!

Know what I mean?
Last edited by Bilgemaster on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Bilgemaster » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:55 am

nate8organic wrote:
C Buchs wrote:I'd see what could be done to fix it. Take some pictures to a welding shop and see if they could do a repair. At least you'll have a price to compare your options.

Jeff

I have fully considered this also and determined its not worth the time, and the keel is beyond repair. We do metal work and this thing has cancer once its really bad theirs no going back. if i could i would but cast iron is just not a good material to work with. not sure if you managed to see the photos over on the other site but worth a look if you want to know what i mean. I am going to most likely sand the replacement down and wrap it in epoxy and glass if i get fancy, otherwise it will just get a solid coat of bottom paint.

Just on the off chance that someone may find themselves in a similar, if perhaps less dire and
irrevocable battle with rust, here's a cheapo solution in the chemical sense of the word that might make it all better: Get yourself some molasses. That's right, molasses. "Black strap" style is best, but most any molasses will do. Mix up a solution of one part molasses to about 9 parts water and give that rusty doodad a bath for a week or two. It seems that molasses contains something called "chelating agents" that latch onto and carry away those oxides. It costs little and works amazingly well. Finally found that wrench in the bilge, and she's looking like she came off the Titanic? Give her a molasses bath. You'll be amazed.

I've also got an Amphicar, one of those cockeyed amphibious "boat-cars" from the '60s, and we're locked in eternal battle with the laws of physics AND chemistry just to keep swimming. So, I actually keep a broken old deep fryer around for this sort of oxide-gobbling fun. Obviously, a swing keel would need a slightly bigger tub. Say a plastic tarp laid into a wooden frame, but it'll do the trick. Just don't try the resulting spew on your waffles, unless you're suffering a serious iron deficiency.

Seriously, raid Grandma's pantry and try it out! Grab that Wisk laundry detergent while you're at it. It's a great boat cleaner.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Postby nate8organic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 pm

Thats good to know! iv seen the same thing with many chemical cheating solutions, even soda. I'm sure if i did that there would be nothing left but lead haha. :wink:
nate8organic
Just Enlisted

Sailboat: Venture 25

Postby Bilgemaster » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:00 pm

nate8organic wrote:Thats good to know! iv seen the same thing with many chemical cheating solutions, even soda. I'm sure if i did that there would be nothing left but lead haha. :wink:

Funny you'd mention "soda", because back in the day folks would also use Coca-Cola to the same rust-removal effect, if rather less effectively than molasses. Apparently "the pause that refreshes" was also believed by some people to be an effective post-coital birth control method. These people are called "parents."

As for the molasses bath treatment, fear not that it might dissolve any clean metal from whatever's being soaked. The molasses only carries away the oxides, or rusty bits, leaving the actual unsullied metal alone.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Postby Catigale » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Bilgemaster wrote:
nate8organic wrote:Thats good to know! iv seen the same thing with many chemical cheating solutions, even soda. I'm sure if i did that there would be nothing left but lead haha. :wink:

Funny you'd mention "soda", because back in the day folks would also use Coca-Cola to the same rust-removal effect, if rather less effectively than molasses. Apparently "the pause that refreshes" was also believed by some people to be an effective post-coital birth control method. These people are called "parents."

As for the molasses bath treatment, fear not that it might dissolve any clean metal from whatever's being soaked. The molasses only carries away the oxides, or rusty bits, leaving the actual unsullied metal alone.

Its not??

Uh oh...
Catigale
Site Admin

Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Postby Bilgemaster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Not that a vigorously-shaken classic six ounce bottle treatment of the lady parts is an entirely woeful affair, mind you, as explicated musically during the practice's '60s heyday by the Fugs, New York Greenwich Village's very own superband, as a quick YouTube search of "Fugs Coca Cola" will rather saltily and shockingly illustrate (NSFW).
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Previous

Return to MacGregor/Venture Discussion