Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Decision time....How to sale my boat

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Decision time....How to sale my boat

Postby propnut30 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Well I have come to a decision. I want to ditch my boat but I am trying to decide which will be the best way. Right now, with the exception of removing the keel, rub-rail and separating the deck and hull she is completely disassembled. I had the idea of doing a full restoration but every time I stated I got deployed of some other event de-railed me. Besides that we moved to Sumter SC and there is no where close by to go sailing. I give up.

She is a 1985 Mac

Do I try to give it away, sell the basket case cheap, or part the thing out?
The best parts are the engine, mast, boom, and turnbuckles. I intended to install 5/32 stays, so I have a set of Hi-Mod swedgless turnbuckles never used, the motor is a 2001 Tohotsu 9.8 long shaft It has been kept indoors most of it's life. The interior was stripped out, including the headliner crap.

If there is any interest or ideas please share.
propnut30
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: Decision time....How to sale my boat

Postby yukonbob » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:48 am

Floating boat, working engine and a trailer sounds like 2k would be a steal. Free is even better...do you deliver? :P
yukonbob
Admiral

Sailboat: Other

Postby PAWSEIDON » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:10 pm

You can post on Craig's List to an area that is closer to the water. For the right price, some will travel to get a deal that could not be had locally.

If you are looking to donate, try your local Boy Scout Council and see if they have a Sea Scout Crew. A lot of Sea Scout crews will take a boat that is in need of a bit of TLC and restore as part of leadership and team building. Than once the boat is again in sailable condition, they provide access and knowledge in the art of sailing. But you need to get the right group. If your local council does not have a crew, ask them where the closest one is. They should be able to get you to the right people.

Good Luck
PAWSEIDON
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby NiceAft » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:14 pm

You can also list it in the “classifieds” on this site. There is an area for this.

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby March » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:42 pm

How to sail my boat? Good question.
March
Captain

Postby propnut30 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. A friend suggested I take it to the middle of Sparkleberry Swamp and tie it to a tree to use as a floating cabin. I think I may just par it out if I cant get any interest. But either way I will start by posting here to the classifieds section. First I need to get caught up on school work and other domestic responsibilities.
propnut30
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Return to MacGregor/Venture Discussion