Broken Keel Cable

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

FLGSHP7
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Broken Keel Cable

Post by FLGSHP7 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:42 pm

This year my keel cable broke. So now that she's out of the water I can get it up the lift and start working on it. Does anyone have pics from a keel cable replacement? I'd like to get what I need ordered so while its on the lift I can just fix the necessary stuff.

TIA

LeePierce
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Broken Keel Cable

Post by LeePierce » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:35 am

Is your boat an X ?
If it is, then Macgregor and others on the forum suggest just using a rope.
You drop the keel by unbolting from inside the cabin under a hatch. Sometimes you have to force the sealant to let go.
Make sure you catch the keel as it dropps out.
Then you thread a new rope from the top of the cabin, put through the hole in the keel, tie a knot, add some sealant to the bolt, feed the holding bracket back up into the boat where it came from, (there are grooves to guide the bracket into place) replace the nut.
I was able to use the new rope tossed over the side so I could get to it under the boat to pull up and hold the new bracket when I replaced the nut.
Did the whole thing single handed.
Hardest part is getting the old sealant to let go and drop the keel. loosen the nut till it will protect the threads, use wood against the nut, hit with a hammer.

Lee

LoHo
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by LoHo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 am

His signature says S...

LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Apologies
Guess I still need to learn to read.

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Order 2x the length of rope from bwy....use a tent pole to shove the rope down through the hole ....dive down run the line through the hole in the centerboard and since you got two times the length of rope you aren't trying to tie a knot under water surface tie your knot pull and trim rope ....much simpler...its a 5 min job at best this way

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:48 am

On our S I think the cable is still original and ....

... at the end of the cable is a crimped on fitting. Some have replaced the cable with a line. If ours ever fails I'd go back with the cable and fitting as I think it would last longer but would use a line if I had to for a temporary fix.

I have more on removing the centerboard on my site if that is ever something you need to do. On the early S's, mine is a 90, you remove the pin from the underside of the boat. Later S's have inspection plates inside the boat and you remove them to get to the pin....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... de-40.html

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links