Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Head Sail Sizing

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Head Sail Sizing

Postby Slaterstm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:28 pm

This summer I sailed my Venture 25 using the original working jib. In light winds she barely moved. I'm looking to get a 125 or a 150 furling genoa. The question is, can my venture 25 handle 150 genoa? Someone told me you can make a 125 out of a 150, but you can't make a 150 out of a 125. Which will work the best?
Slaterstm

Sailboat: Venture 25

Re: Head Sail Sizing

Postby NiceAft » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Is the wind where you sail regularly very low. That’s the only reason for a 150. If the area where you sail only occasionally has low wind, go for the 120.

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Stick with the jib and get a Assy spinnaker or blooper, a genoa isnt going to help any going up wind as they are built of off the wind sailing, so you will be using the jib upwind or making many many more tacks to cover the ground using the genoa. Of course it may be that your sails are totally naffed being 30 odd years old (if they are the originals) so you will struggle no matter what
sailboatmike
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby NiceAft » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Well, now I don’t agree.

The situation you example is limited. For all other low wind conditions, the Genny is what is needed. Whether a 120 or 150 is needed is the question. As I earlier posted, the wind conditions that you sail in determines your cloth.

I chose a 150 for my :macm: because where I used to sail, the wind sometimes is negligent. More than I would like. Today I sail where that is no longer the case. I roller furl the Genny a lot now.

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby Highlander » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:01 am

Well the best of both worlds is a cutter rig ! :P
but today I might go with a Jib & code zero + spinnaker

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby kadet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 am

Highlander wrote:Well the best of both worlds is a cutter rig ! :P
but today I might go with a Jib & code zero + spinnaker

J 8)

That's how I go with a solent rig. Furling 110 jib with luff pads and a top down furling asym. Makes life so much easier 8)
kadet
Admiral

Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Postby Slaterstm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks so much for the replies. About 25% of the time the winds were around 3-5 mph. I'm sailing in Long Island Sound. In most cases there is a 1.5 knot tide current. So, my thoughts are more sail surface is better. When the winds are 10 + mph, she moves well. I read the thread "Jib vs Genoa". Outside of a genoa being larger then the jib, what else is the difference?
Slaterstm

Sailboat: Venture 25

Postby NiceAft » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:25 am

The difference is dollars.

If you have the disposable income, having an assortment of sails is the best way to go, but if you don’t, then you get a Genoa on a roller furler. It comes down to $$$. Less wind, more cloth. More wind, less cloth. With a roller furler you adjust to your situation, but you loose performance. That’s it in a nutshell.

Ray

P.S. Where along the sound are you? Throngs Neck end, or farther out?
NiceAft
Admiral

Postby Tomfoolery » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:49 am

Slaterstm wrote:Outside of a genoa being larger then the jib, what else is the difference?

It also moves the center of pressure farther back. In medium winds, I will often use the genoa alone (no main), and it sails ok. I can't do that with the working jib, or at least, it's a rather unsatisfactory way to sail.

I often sail under just the genoa if I'm feeling too lazy to go through the motions of unwrapping and raising the main then putting it all back at the end. It's also easy, with a roller furler, to sail into the very narrow and often very busy inlet to the bay I sail it (with a swing bridge open for the season) and be confident that I can just roll it in if I need to get off the gas (in a manner of speaking).
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Ixneigh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:51 am

For light winds I added a removable bowsprit. I think its on YouTube somewhere under username lastlionmonday.
This equipment works well, sets up easily and stores lashed to the lifelines. It is a stought section of fiberglass tube like an old dinghy mast. Aluminum might be stronger. This allows me to set a nice gennacker.
The bad part is that the sail has to be manhandled around the headstay. But if I'm on a course for an hour its a small hassle only.
Its lashes to the anchor roller and my anchor windlass.

Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Return to MacGregor/Venture Discussion