Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Prop protector guard - good or bad?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Prop protector guard - good or bad?

Postby warren631 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm

I have a prop guard but am thinking of taking it off.

http://www.propellersafety.com/propelle ... tatements/

Last year I lost props twice in the Baltimore harbor where there are lots of junk and branches floating just below the surface. I think this junk can get caught between the guard and the prop and cause more damage than if the prop could just knock them aside. Comments?
warren631
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Prop protector guard - good or bad?

Postby My Mistress » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:40 pm

I had one on my motor last summer. It was built of of layered fibreglass as a winter project.
My local lake has a rocky bottom and I wanted something to protect the prop from contact with rocks or logs, and to protect the rudder from contact when I pull the tiller full over.

I found that it seemed to lower thrust in reverse, but noticed no real loss of thrust while motoring forward. As far as prop protection goes............well.......it came apart in about 10 minutes under full throttle. Vibration, and I presume water pressure caused it to delaminate, so it's back to the drawing board.
I still want one to protect the prop & rudder vs protecting someone in the water.
As with anything, there are trade-offs according to the specific desires.
Last edited by My Mistress on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mistress
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Postby Gazmn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:17 am

I have at least 2 if not 3 prop guards that I’m looking to get rid of, no charge. 1 one is a stainless cage like thing. Needs large prop >13” The other polymer. & 1 dolphinlike wing to bolt onto >40HP cavitation plate. While they all need good homes, they need to be bolted on a >= 90HP or >13” prop. PM me any who are interested. Just cover their shipping. But none willbe shippable til March - Key Largo Road Boat Trip 8)
Gazmn
Admiral

Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Postby RussMT » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:24 pm

warren631 wrote:Last year I lost props twice in the Baltimore harbor where there are lots of junk and branches floating just below the surface. I think this junk can get caught between the guard and the prop and cause more damage than if the prop could just knock them aside. Comments?

Based on what you say, it's worth trying without and see if it is better.

My Bayliner runabout managed to eat props. Mostly because I kept running over big rocks and boulders.
The Mac's prop is original and looks brand new. I think wood bits would just kick away, whereas rocks are bit more destructive.
RussMT
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Jonair222 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:18 pm

AFTER CHOPPING CHUNKS IN MY RUDDER IN SHALLOW WATER
PROP GUARD=GOOD
Jonair222
Chief Steward

Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Return to MacGregor/Venture Discussion