Rigging for single handed sailing

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Orkia
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Rigging for single handed sailing

Post by Orkia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:56 pm

I am working on setting up my 26S for single handed sailing. I have purchased used deck organizers. I am wanting to know has anyone used clam cleats instead of clutches for the down haul and for the main sheet. I know a clutch would a preferred, but can a clam cleat be used. I am just a cheap skate and would rather not spend the money for the cost of a set of clutches. They are just so expensive, even used on ebay.

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Rigging for single handed sailing

Post by NiceAft » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:02 pm

I don’t see why not.

If the line is substantial enough,and the cam cleat the proper size, a cam cleat should hold. You could always cleat off the end for peace of mind. When you feel confident with it, you no longer will need the safety of cleating the extra length of line.

Ray

bobflshmn
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by bobflshmn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 pm

I use them on mine

Orkia
Deckhand

Post by Orkia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Bobflshmn - Any chance you have a picture of your set up?

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:15 pm

If rigging for single handed use, I would prefer a horn cleat or clutch for a halyard, and I would use a cam cleat on my sheets, vang, back stay adjustment, etc. My thinking is that when a sheet slips out of a cam cleat, it can be grabbed and winched back in pretty well without major inconvenience. But, if a halyard slips and the luff of the sail begins to fall, it requires heading up to take the load off, rehoisting, and securing the sail which I think could be an ordeal under certain conditions. And lines do slip out of cam cleats ever once in a while despite our best efforts to stay on top of them.

Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha » Tue May 01, 2018 4:40 am

I am the same...I use a clutch for the halyard (and the daggerboard on my :macm: ) and ezcleats for the jib sheets. I have never had an issue with doing it this way.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue May 01, 2018 6:03 am

The only rope clutch on my boat is for the main halyard, which does double-duty with the MRS. I like being able to haul the mast up and stop part way to clear a snag.

All the rest are cam cleats. :wink:

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Tue May 01, 2018 9:50 am

I realize the post says "Rigging" but curious as to if you have a tiller pilot?

If you have that and can physically move about the boat then rigging options are simplified and your sailing will be much more enjoyable. You will be able to leave the helm at times to also attend to other things. I'd put that #1 on my list if I didn't already have it. More on how I put one on our S....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/mac-outsi ... de-43.html

As far a rigging goes I still like to go to the mast and that is possible with the tiller pilot. We have lazy jacks and a sail pack which greatly reduces problems associated with dropping the main or reefing it. Also have single line reefing going to the mast for both reef points. Switching from a hank-on jib to a roller furler was also big. No more going to the front of the boat to drop the jib and we use the genoa much more often since it is so easy to put out or bring in and the size can be adjusted to suit the conditions.

More on all of that here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... index.html

If you don't have a tiller pilot you might find that buying one might not be much more expensive than the cost of running all the lines to the cockpit,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Last edited by Sumner on Tue May 01, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyVS
Just Enlisted

Post by AndyVS » Tue May 01, 2018 3:39 pm

+1 on Sumner's comments.

I single hand most of the time & have a tiller clutch and lines are still at the mast. I have a down-haul on the hank-on jib that comes to the stanchion by the mast. I go to the mast to reef so sometimes it means going on deck on my knees. I always have a pfd on when on deck.

With the tiller clutch I can lock it while sailing to take pictures or go below to get a cold one. Also very helpful when heaving-to.

Andy

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue May 01, 2018 5:51 pm

+2 on Sumner method - tiller pilot is the best mod you can do for a solo setup. I prefer tiller pilots because they are more precise than helm pilots - use less power, and are not effected by steering slop.

I don't know what a "clam" cleat is but on the lines that I would not want to loose the bitter end up the top of the mast where I can't retrieve it I always use a CLUTCH with a knot in the bitter end because a knot can't pass a clutch cleat.

Same for the bitter end on a daggerboard - don't want the DB going down to Dave's Locker and taking the bitter end with it - (should never happen with the safety lines but those are examples of places where a clutch is a good idea).

All other places I like cam cleats (clam? - did not know that - am I saying it wrong?) anyways - clams (cams) are great because they release easy and are super easy to insert the line into. I like clams! (cams?) :|

Spend your money on a tiller pilot first.

Here is one of my favorite "clams" for solo sailing:

I really like this one when I am alone on the boat because it allows me to work the main sheet, and the Genoa sheets and the wheel all from the same seat so i don't hav'ta crawl up to the traveler to sheet in the main.

Orkia
Deckhand

Post by Orkia » Tue May 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Boat as usual you are spot on. I meant "cam" not "clam".

I hear you guys on the tiller pilot, but I have been working on my sheet to tiller self steering with some success. It is awesome to have the boat tuned and watch it stay on a heading by correcting itself. I may one day break down and go to the tiller pilot but for now I am continuing to hone the self steering skills.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed May 02, 2018 6:13 am

BOAT wrote:I don't know what a "clam" cleat is but on the lines that I would not want to loose the bitter end up the top of the mast where I can't retrieve it I always use a CLUTCH with a knot in the bitter end because a knot can't pass a clutch cleat.
In case the OP isn't aware, you can prevent that by using an optional fairlead on a cam cleat, and putting a stopper knot in the end of the line. Like the main sheet and boom vang, which came that way. I also use that arrangement on my furler line, though there's little risk of damage from losing the bitter end of that line, but I don't want it flying out and not available when I need it. I think my swing CB cam cleat has a fairlead, too, but now I can't visualize it.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed May 02, 2018 7:58 am

Orkia wrote:Boat as usual you are spot on. I meant "cam" not "clam".

I hear you guys on the tiller pilot, but I have been working on my sheet to tiller self steering with some success. It is awesome to have the boat tuned and watch it stay on a heading by correcting itself. I may one day break down and go to the tiller pilot but for now I am continuing to hone the self steering skills.
Hey, I was not trying to bug you.
I really like "clam"! Clam Chowder is a favorite, yum. If it's okay with the rest of the guys I think I would like to stick with clam cleat - it sounds better.

Your in a 26S - that's a real sailboat, not a 'thing' like the X and M so you can do the balance thing a lot easier and that is always the best way to sail a boat anyways. Even on 'boat' I try to balance the rig (sometimes) not as much as I used to since I got the pilot. :P

bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn » Wed May 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Orkia- I will be at my boat this weekend. I will take pictures of if to post for you. I will also include the self tacking jib system I just set up. I love it!
and yes Cam cleat is what I use. I use a clam cleat on the furler and lazy jacks.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun May 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
BOAT wrote:I don't know what a "clam" cleat is but on the lines that I would not want to loose the bitter end up the top of the mast where I can't retrieve it I always use a CLUTCH with a knot in the bitter end because a knot can't pass a clutch cleat.
In case the OP isn't aware, you can prevent that by using an optional fairlead on a cam cleat, and putting a stopper knot in the end of the line. Like the main sheet and boom vang, which came that way. I also use that arrangement on my furler line, though there's little risk of damage from losing the bitter end of that line, but I don't want it flying out and not available when I need it. I think my swing CB cam cleat has a fairlead, too, but now I can't visualize it.
These r what Tom is talking about u can buy them from ur local marine store "hopefully" if u r buying new or used this is what u r looking for
http://www.harken.com/productcategory.aspx?taxid=391

If u already have cam cleats then u can buy the kits to convert them
http://www.harken.com/productcategory.aspx?taxid=392

https://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=061

https://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=063

I changed out my ronstan jib cam cleats for harken ones as they have a better line in lead when u go to cleat them at diff. angles
There r other cheaper brands out there if they r avail to u !
J 8)