1990 macgregor 26sx keel problem

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Lethamae45
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

1990 macgregor 26sx keel problem

Post by Lethamae45 »

The keel came off my mac 26sx, luckily I was able to save the keel but lost the pin which isn't a big problem. I put the boat on the trailer and looked at the underneath at the keel well. (Swing Keel) The only thing I see that holds the keel/pivot pin is two slots one on each side of the well...and at the very top of the well I see the head of a bolt. No holes, no metal brackets nothing, just two slots and the bolt head I can see at the top of the keel. Can someone please help me out here. What holds the pivot pin and keel up in the keel well. Any help appreciated thanks!
sporgo
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Re: 1990 macgregor 26sx keel problem

Post by sporgo »

I know nothing about your model but there is a manual freely available that shows how the centerboard attaches.
https://macgregor.sailboatowners.com/im ... df/868.pdf
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike »

I'm not up to date with the 26S, however this is how the centerboard brackets should look

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/5505-1c1.htm

I presume the pin has nothing actually holding it in place except for the sides of the centercase and the holes in the top of the brackets bolt up into the hull

or maybe this will help

"Used from mid 1990 (early 1990 had daggerboard) thru mid 1992. If your boat has heavy Stainless Steel mounting brackets for the centerboard that are exposed on the bottom of the hull. Later boats had no visible hardware on the bottom of the hull, and two access plates inside the boat to get to the centerboard pivot bolt (one under the galley, one to Port side of the galley)"
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

Just guessing without a picture, but I suspect the bolt you see at the top of the well is the end of the cable that is used to raise the keel. The two holes in the sides are for the pivot pin, which (on my boat, a 94) you access from inspection ports under the sole.

--john