Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Battery size

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Battery size

Postby Curwen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Hello,

I bought a 26D that has been sitting for some time. The previous owner removed the starboard battery. I'm ready to buy a battery, but I don't know what size I should buy. I don't have any additional electronics and have no plans for adding them. What size battery should I look for to be able to run the deck and mast lights for a weekend get-a-way?

Thank you
Curwen
Engineer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Battery size

Postby Jimmyt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 pm

What type of lights? How many and what length of time will you be burning them? There are online calculators that will help you figure out the total daily amp hours needed. Then, you have to figure out how to interpret battery labels to try to match a battery to your demand. Are you going to run any solar, or will the battery literally have to last the entire cruise?

My suggestion to you is get as much converted to LED as you can. My anchor light draws 0.2amp; my Nav lights take 0.3 amp; and if I turn on all my cabin lights, they use a whopping 0.5 amp. My steaming light is still hot wire, but I may convert it just cause I can.

I have a battery that will do about 50 amp hours at 25amp draw, so I can easily make a day or two if I don't use significant accessories like VHF, Chartplotter, etc. Although I am having a case of solar envy...

All this to say, there are a lot of smart guys on this forum, but not many clairvoyants. I'll bet that if you give them a little more info, they will help you figure it out. Check out the calculator link for your entertainment.

https://www.boundlessoutfitters.com/Bat ... -s/129.htm
Jimmyt
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Return to MacGregor/Venture Discussion