M25, Rebuilding the compression post base

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Sisu
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

M25, Rebuilding the compression post base

Post by Sisu » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Has anyone rebuilt the top of the keel trunk where the compression post rests? Mine is really starting to sag, probably due to rotten plywood. My plan is to remove the post and bulkhead and cut the fiberglass top off with a oscillating tool. Then I can remove/replace the old core and either replace the old top or fabricate a new one with wood or laminate.

I was also wondering if it's worth it to fasten the post to the base in some way, and/or replace the post with stronger material

Anyone have experience with this process? Thanks!

Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Re: M25, Rebuilding the compression post base

Post by Freedom77 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Do you have pics? Mast post base can start to "pump". Makes mast flex and could result in dismasting from spreader failure. Also, deck is pretty thin at top of mast post. I reinforced under deck with a piece of 1/4" stainless.

Sisu
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: M25, Rebuilding the compression post base

Post by Sisu » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:10 pm

I'll dig up some photos when I have a chance. Basically there's a plywood spacer between the top of the keel trunk and the cabin liner that the post sits on. The plywood is suspect, as the liner is sagging a little. My plan is to remove the liner under the compression post to access the wood, replace the wood, and either glass the liner back together or fabricate a new base for the compression post.