Slip storage

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, beene, Catigale

nedmiller
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Slip storage

Post by nedmiller » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 am

We have a line run from the bow outside the rails to the arch on both sides with large cheap carabiner type connectors on each end. It hangs low enough that you can grab it from the water if you go overboard.
You can grab the line anywhere to pull towards the dock or unhook either end to use as a painter or other various uses including a person on each side of the boat to pull/guide through interesting shallow waters.
When loading boat onto the trailer, the Admiral hops off the boat and grabs the line whoever she is along the boat.
She stabilizes things while I go up and get the truck and trailer, and then unhooks the stern carabiner and uses the line as a painter to help guide the boat onto the trailer. She fastens the stern carabiner back on once boat is secure on trailer
As usual with painters, make sure it is too short to reach the propeller if stern connection left loose.

Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Curwen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 am

Ned.

I grew up canoeing, kayaking, and rafting and they always had painters, never thought of putting them on my sailboat.

another great idea, thank you for sharing!

Curwen

Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:14 am

Like Curwen, I am in a dock with floating dock with finger piers on either side (our water level is 10' above normal; you may have seen the flood stories in the news).

I don't have a midship cleat either, but we sometimes tie a line from the base of the stanchion to the dock cleat. We have an aft line on either side, two bow lines that are angled enough to call them springs, but our bow sticks out beyond the dock far enough that I can't tie a bow line perpendicular to the boat.

I know the stanchion isn't made for this, but since we're talking about sheer force and it is at the base of the stanchion, I think (i.e. hope) it will hold. I just feel better with two straight lines to prevent swaying and banging into a pier. We may be the most over-tied boat in the marina, but it lets me sleep better at night.

--john