New boat (26S)owner in Texas!

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
buck_justice
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

New boat (26S)owner in Texas!

Post by buck_justice »

:) Hello everyone, I just purchased a new to me 26S that is in real good shape. Her name is “Little Wing” POs choice! Anyway, it fits my style, as I am an aviation enthusiast during the working week. And I heard it’s bad luck to change a boats name! Just saying; I am tickled and can not wait to get her out on the water. Like a kid in a candy store! I taught myself to sail on a Cal 25, 10 years ago after reading the Annapolis book on sailing, and having someone show me how to rig it! The pilot in me lent itself to being a quick learner. This boat however is not a Cal??? So I’m sure I may ask some crazy questions. In fact I have one ready. In the bow under the access door is a 10 inch long piece of 4” PVC glassed in vertically with a screw in cap on top with a 1/2” hole in it. What in the world is this??? I cannot imagine what it is?
Thanks to all of you guys, I have Belen trolling your sight for the last couple weeks. There is a lot of good information on this sight, and you try to keep it upbeat and real.
Thanks
Buck
Stevenhigbee
Engineer

Re: New boat (26S)owner in Texas!

Post by Stevenhigbee »

buck_justice wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:24 pm In the bow under the access door is a 10 inch long piece of 4” PVC glassed in vertically with a screw in cap on top with a 1/2” hole in it. What in the world is this??? I cannot imagine what it is?
Is that perhaps housing for some sort of transducer or underwater sensor?
Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

I think you can find a proper ritual on the internet for changing a boat's name. But it does require some rum.

--john
buck_justice
Deckhand

Post by buck_justice »

The last time I was on it sail I was blacklisted!
Not sure about that! Anyway
Yes, a foreword transducer sounds about right. I had not thought they could get a signal through the fiberglass. But after some research I found you were right. Hey that’s pretty cool!
As for changing the name, it’s more original than anything I’ve thought of?
Buck
Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Freedom77 »

Hi Buck, This is a great site as well as Sailboatowners.com. Welcome to the Legion of the Damned :evil: Open your checkbook. Seriously, Congrats. Where are in the Lone Star state? Like the boat name. As far as changing it, a cautionary tale. My dad was aboard and aircraft carrier in WWII. The navy changed the name from Midway to St. Lo. 11 days later it had the dubious distinction of being the first U.S. Navy ship sunk by a Kamikaze on October 25, 1944. Just Sayin" :? HOOK 'EM HORNS!!
buck_justice
Deckhand

Post by buck_justice »

Freedom77, I am down in San Antonio and have a farm in NE TX also. My boat is near Lake Tawakanee for now. I thought I would get used to sailing her in fresh water. Then head for the coast. I want to explore the coastal areas of Texas. So I went with a trailerable boat that I could keep on the hard when not using. My long range plan has Virgin Isles painted on it! But that’s a little over the horizon. I can’t wait to get on the water, but not with this norther that just blew in!
Buck
Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Freedom77 »

Hi Buck: Once again, congrats on the new Yatch. Yeah, Trailerable. Been sailing for 50 years. I look at all the slip bound boats and they don't know what they are missing. We trailered as far south as Ensenada Mexico and north to British Columbia, east to lake Powell, Catalina, San Cruz and points in between. San Diego is amazing. I, personally, wouldn't shoot for Virgin Islands, a little far. Charters are more fun. Most folks don't know what a "Norther" is and you can't describe it enough to get the effect. :| Been through a few. Got stuck in Muleshoe, WHERE?, for a week with drifts on the north side of Grand Dads house up to the roof. Fair Winds and Full Sails, Old Salt
buck_justice
Deckhand

Post by buck_justice »

Yes sir I agree they do not know what they are missing. The amount of abandoned boats around the marinas is staggering. I could have had several free boats and a lot of lowo cost boats that were donated. Most were on the east and west coast, which made it way to far to travel to pick one up from TX. Mostly keel boats, but some with trailers. Not many Macs though! Although there was one venture I thought hard about. I think I’m going to be happy with what I got. She has not been mutilated. Most older boats and planes get hacked up over time by PO. I like the idea of not paying for a slip, and being able to launch in say, Brownsville and sail south, or Lake Charles and sail east! Just my thoughts! Anyway I still have much to learn from experienced sailors with years of experience.
buck_justice
Deckhand

Post by buck_justice »

So the PO I bought my 26S from was in Austin TX. We was very annal about the boat. He kept a massive tarp over the boat all the time, with a PVC framework. He also took all the cushions inside and stored them in his spare bedroom, so they are like new. It’s my intention to continue to take just as good of care of the boat as he did. But I don’t have a spare bedroom. So, I’m not sure how I’m going to handle that? I’m thinking of building a wooden crate 8’ long to store all the cushions in, and keep it in the hangar. The PO was also proud of the fact that the boat had never been in salt water! He raised an eyebrow when I told him that was not in my plan. But I added quickly that I was going to wash her down after every dunk in the blue.
So far I have built new mast crutches out of laminated oak and poplar, found myself a Bimini top, got the Honda 8hp 4 stroke running, and bought spare gaskets and an impeller for it. Going to order a new ballast gasket set from BWY. Is there any thing else that I should replace or have on had that you sailors change regularly or keep on board? Oh, I did not get a radio or depth finder!
Buck
buck_justice
Deckhand

Post by buck_justice »

I have spent a lot of time reading previous posts, about 10 years worth. And the general consensus seems to be that the Mac’s are very tender. It also seems the the power sailer X and M are more tender that the classics. Is this a true statement?? I also have noticed that the PSers that are always looking for ways to reduce heel. I read that section also. Several of those guys added weight to their DBs and sassy that it was an improvement. While others say rail meat is better on the boat structurally. But, in none of these post I never read about anyone trying to reduce the weight/drag of their standing rigging. And they all had roller furlling head sails. But it seems that all the classics run hank on sails. So my question as a newbie is: Does the furller add weight/drag above the center of gravity, which I think it would. How much does that whole assembly weigh?
curious by nature
Buck
WinSome
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by WinSome »

We’re up here in Canada sailing our new to us 1990 26C in western Lake Ontario and wherever we care to. we have roller furling and really wouldn’t care to be without it. I’d say the roller system (cdi) doesn’t add more than 10 lbs. I don’t feel that weight Location changes anything.
The ability to quickly reduce or increase sail is great. It’s total positive to have. I’d agree about being tender (compared to a heavy keelboat), but it firms up. Reef early and you’ll sail faster! We proved that! And its more comfortable (with less heel). So says the admiral. Enjoy.
buck_justice
Deckhand

Post by buck_justice »

I am totally unfamiliar with any of the furlling systems, being a nub. So I’m learning. It seems like it would be handy to be able to adjust on the fly! I have only used hank on sails.
Buck
RubiconAg

Post by RubiconAg »

I'm also a newb with a 92 26S and in San Antonio! Although we just purchased the boat this past summer, I sailed this particular boat back in highschool and college. I purchased it from my best friends parents, so I have history with the boat.

We have a place down in Rockport and will sail that area primarily. Although in the off season I will bring it back up to SA for yearly maintenance and quick day and some camping sails at Canyon.

If you want adventure salt sailing check out the Texas 200 facebook page and website also. I fully plan on participating in the 2020 TX200 in June.

For what it's worth, I have sailed both hank on and furler. My Mac has a CDI furler and I wouldn't go without it. My time is spent half single handing and the other half with my family (young kids) which might as well be single handing.

I spent most of the summer and fall doing some major deferred maintenance to the boat including replacing rigging and the center board. The complete electrical system is on my list for the winter. I will also end up having a bottom and top job done this winter.

Welcome to the addiction!
buck_justice
Deckhand

Post by buck_justice »

Good to know there is someone else in SA that is a Mac sailor. What part of town do you live in? I’m on the Northwest side of town. I’ll look into the Texas200?
Buck
My Mistress
Chief Steward

Post by My Mistress »

Hello buck_justice and Rubicon!

You aren't the only Mac sailors around S.A. I'm in the Bandera area and primarily sail on Medina Lake. "Mistress" is a 1990 26S.