Looking for ideas Deck Hardware

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Sovereign797
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Looking for ideas Deck Hardware

Post by Sovereign797 »

My Mac 25 came to me already re-arranged by a previous owner and after playing with it for a few years I find I'm not using a lot of it and using others, some of it could be better, etc.

I'm looking for ideas on streamlining and improving the entire setup, from winch placement, pad eyes, fair leads, cleats, clams, sheeting, all of it. Post your setups, show them off, help me out with getting some ideas on adding and subtracting or moving what I have.

I've got most of it off atm, gonna do some painting and then put everything back. I do mostly weekend cruising the lakes but I am sort of interested in getting involved in some beer can racing after I did a season on another boat.
Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Re: Looking for ideas Deck Hardware

Post by Freedom77 »

As with most anything K.I.S.S. Do you have pics of current setup?
WinSome
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by WinSome »

I agree with Freedom 77. Tell us what’s working well. What you expecting out of your boat? Sail condition and setup? Where do you want it to be? I’ve a 26c and interested. What’s your budget?
First Let’s pick three best things to improve.
Sovereign797

Post by Sovereign797 »

I'm looking for ideas from what others have done, thanks for the replies
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Do you use a slip? One thing my PO did - and it gets a lot of positive comments - was to have a cleat amidships on the port side. Very handy when coming into my slip. I have a dock line attached to that, loop over a slip pole and voila! I'm secured and have plenty of time to do the usual for and aft dock lines. 8)
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

I replaced my bow and stern cleats with steel, and certainly like the idea of a cleat amidships. But I worry about stumbling over it. I typically tie a line from a stanchion to the dock cleat.

I put in jib cars and tracks last year, and I love them. It is a powerful control (we have a 135% genny).

I also put on bow chocks for anchoring, and a horn a little aft of the mast.

I'm in danger of violating the KISS rule. But I like to tinker.

--john
WinSome
Engineer

Post by WinSome »

Can you feel more about your choice of horn and install? I’ve wanted to install one and want to keep it minimal.
WinSome
Engineer

Post by WinSome »

On topic of deck hardware:
Here’s original pdf of rails and stanchions drawings
http://www.railmakers.com/yachts/macgre ... -24-25.htm
I’m ready to install a salvaged, modified stern rail on Winsome (26C) in the next weeks as I can’t sail as yet -southern Ontario-and stay isolated due to virus.
Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

WinSome wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:11 pm Can you feel more about your choice of horn and install? I’ve wanted to install one and want to keep it minimal.
Get on your favorite marine web site and find the two-horn system that people complain about (they say they deteriorate after 5-10 years). That's the one I got. It if dies in 7 years, it will be easy to replace. It has a nice pitch, and is loud enough for me. About $75 in my case.

I dropped the wire into the space above the salon (where my fuse panel is), and plugged it in to the panel. I ran the switch wire behind the seam between the upper and lower inner liners on starboard, into the lazarette, and mounted the pushbutton switch on the inboard side of the motor well. Easy to run the wire in this path. In that location, the switch is easily accessible to the helm.

--john
WinSome
Engineer

Post by WinSome »

Thanks for the horn info. Your switch location is confirmation of my plan. Puts it right where it can be instantly used. At local marine shop I inquired, and they figured there’s a lot of idiots out there who need to learn the ‘sound off’ rules.!
Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

I would agree. No one at my lake knows "taking you on my port side." But when they're backing off the ramp, right into my path, I find it more convenient to blow the horn than to yell.

I do get funny looks when I sound one for engine engaged, and three for operating astern, when I back out of my slip. But rules are rules :)

--john
Sovereign797

Post by Sovereign797 »

Interim, any pics of your new tracks/cars?

Does anyone change or add winch positions? Pros/cons?
Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

I will get a picture of my tracks and cars. Sorry for the delay.

I thought about (and continue to think about) moving my winches aft. The line angle (I think it is called the fleet angle) into the winch isn't that good, because i crowded it. I've added a fair lead to my track to help cure it.

It just seems like a mess to move the winches back. And expensive, if you buy new ones.

--john
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Interim wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:47 amI think it is called the fleet angle
It is in the crane and rigging business, which is what I've done for the last 40 years. Probably also for boats, too, since most crane and rigging terms originated with sailing vessels. :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

Below are a couple shots of my jib car and track on starboard.

--john