Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Trailer bearings on 26 M

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, tangentair, Frank C, beene, Heath_Mod

Trailer bearings on 26 M

Postby glenluce » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:33 am

Hi, I have recently bought a new 26M and planning to trailer it around quite a bit.
Could anyone please tell me, what size of wheelbearings in the new aluminium trailers are ?
I would love to take some spares with me. Even my dealer was so far unable to tell me.
Well looking at the trailer it looks a bit skinny, but so far everything went fine, even the
2000km from Queensland to Victoria.
glenluce

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Trailer bearings on 26 M

Postby Tomfoolery » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:35 am

From what I've read here in past threads, at least some of the :macm: trailers used the same bearings as the :macx: trailers, which are L68149 inner (1.378 in/35mm ID), L44649 outer (1.063 in/27mm ID), and an RG06-050 double-lip seal (1.719 in ID/2.565 in OD). I couldn't say what your trailer has, so I might suggest you open one up and get the number off the bearings. Don't forget you need the outer races, too, as if you trash a bearing, it'll take the race with it. They are usually sold as a set anyway.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby glenluce » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:20 pm

thanks for that. I didn't pull the hub apart to check the numbers, because my dealer advised,
that after that the grease cap would not sit tight anymore and would have to be replaced as
well. So I will use the numbers you have supplied and hope for the best. Thanks again.
glenluce

Postby Tomfoolery » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Bluewater Yachts lists two different bearing sets for the :macm: trailers, with what they identify as 'early' being a 6-lug hub, and others being 5-lug. I would call www.bwyachts.com, or Macgregor themselves, and ask before buying anything. A 6-lug hub isn't going to use the bearings I mentioned, and there's no guarantee the 5-lug will either.

I disagree about the hub cap or bearing protector being single-use. A lot of on/off might loosen them, but not once. At least IMHO.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby Catigale » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:06 am

The trailers shipped overseas are different than US models...or at least you should entertain this possibility
Catigale
Site Admin

Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Postby padge » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 am

glenluce wrote: because my dealer advised,that after that the grease cap would not sit tight anymore and would have to be replaced as
well.

replacing the caps everytime , Easy money for the dealer I think :wink:
padge
Just Enlisted

Postby Mac26Mpaul » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 am

You can buy the bearing kit for the current M trailer, from these guys in Oz
http://www.bluereefyachts.com.au/26mspares.htm
Mac26Mpaul
Captain

Postby seahouse » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:23 am

my dealer advised,
that after that the grease cap would not sit tight anymore and would have to be replaced as
well.

"It's hard to get good help these days." I would suggest that your dealer is acknowledging this fact of life by recommending replacing the grease cap.

Try removing it with just a hammer (be sure to use a really big one, a sledge hammer will give you a realistic re-enactment of the scenario) and see how tightly it fits after that! :D

Has anyone here not seen a grease cap (=hub cap) with anger marks on it? :o

- Brian. :wink:
seahouse
Admiral

Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Postby Terry » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:39 pm

seahouse wrote:
my dealer advised,
well.

"It's hard to get good help these days." I would suggest that your dealer is acknowledging this fact of life by recommending replacing the grease cap.

Try removing it with just a hammer (be sure to use a really big one, a sledge hammer will give you a realistic re-enactment of the scenario) and see how tightly it fits after that! :D

Has anyone here not seen a grease cap (=hub cap) with anger marks on it? :o

- Brian. :wink:

Funny, I've had my caps on and off a few times now and they still fit tight. I just use a hammer to lightly bang a flat screwdriver in behind the cap and then pry it off, then later tap it back on with the hammer.They even fit the new wheels.
I have an old '03 steel trailer and I just replaced the 6 lug wheel - rotars, calipers, bearings and all with stainless steel replacements, also got galvanized wheel rims and new tires, $1300.00 worth of repair. Re-wired and got new lights too.
Terry
Admiral

Postby Mac26Mpaul » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:40 am

Catigale wrote:The trailers shipped overseas are different than US models...or at least you should entertain this possibility

The Mac trailers we get here in Oz are standard Macgregor factory trailers. Mine even still had the US hitch on it and was somehow registered. :?: Most of them have an Oz metric hitch with a handbrake,, fitted when they get here, and are registered as "Homemade" and have a tare weight of 1920kgs total, which unfortunately is totally unrealistic because these boats are considerably heavier than claimed.... We also have a safety chain to the bow eye as well as the winch which mine didnt have so I assume the safety chain is not required over there. Although its not mandatory, most guys here believe the tyres are not up to the job and replace them with light truck tyres (and many seem to replace the rims too).
Mac26Mpaul
Captain

Return to Trailers & Towing