wheel brake issues, please advise.

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

kevinnem
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

wheel brake issues, please advise.

Post by kevinnem » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:16 pm

Hey all, as I will be posting later on, I just got my new-to - me mac 26x 1996.

The first issue I need to resolve is that it made it home with only 1 bearing buddy on it. the other side was completely open to the "outside".

I also want to replace the drum brake with disk. I was going to start with pulling off the drum brakes, but can't do that, . the drum kinda pulls apart, about 3/4 of an inch, but it seems like it is being held on by something in or near the center. I was also thinking I would just be able to undo the 4 bolts on teh back that hook drum brake to flange, there don't want to move though. I will attach photo of where I am at.

so, ideas on how to get the drum brakes off?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: wheel brake issues, please advise.

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:53 pm

The brake shoes may be grabbing the drum(s). If you're going to start from scratch, perhaps you can take the drum, bearings, and backing plate off as one unit, if you don't want to mess with backing off the shoe adjustment, which may not move at this point (due to rust) anyway.

If it were me, I'd probably just put a big 6-point socket and breaker bar on there, and twist the studs off and pull the whole mess off the axle stub. The flange is just a flat plate with four holes in it. If you're a little more ambitious, put some PB Blaster on them, let them sit for a long while, then put a torch on the nuts (one at a time), then a 6-point socket and breaker bar. If they break loose, fine, but if they twist off, that's fine also.

kevinnem
First Officer

Post by kevinnem » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:02 pm

grr. Forum just ate my post.

okay first to post some photos
1)
2)
3)

hopefully you can see how the drum is partially off, and the nuts at the rear.

I have a few questions at this point.

1) There is another set of bearings at the other end of the drum right? 2 per side, 4 per axle?

2) I think my bearings are shot, my first look at them , they appeared to have some stress cracks, and fatigue. Assuming I need to replace them. Can anyone tell me, or link a part number or something for the replacement bearing? As mentioned above, I do plan to switch over to disk brakes, I still need the bearing though right, the disk brake assembly will not have them?

3) Been thinking alot about what disks to get, there is a number of people selling them online. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I will likely be adding a second axle and would like the option of adding a second set of brakes at a later date. I was thinking about going with the full stainless steel kit from Kodiak. For my use, I will be doing mostly fresh water (salt water once, maybe twice a year). They (and others) offer many other brakes with "coatings" on them. But do the coating not ware off as soon as you start useing the brakes????

4) as mentioned the 4 nuts on the back just don't want to move, already almost stripped them - just hit it with some chemicals, and use a big cheater bar? (I have already tried a 18 inch wrench). I assume the breaker bar and cheater bar are the same thing, . like a pipe , over your wrench.

Big picture here : I want to bring my whole trailer/axle situation up to snuff. I appreciate any comments you guys have, even if they where not something I directly asked.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:15 pm

That looks like original axle on my OEM :macx: trailer. It's a 3500 or 3700 lb axle, and you can buy a disc brake kit that includes rotors, bearings, double-lip seals, caliper, surge coupler, and lines.

This is what I used to convert mine. I put them on just one of the two axles. It would have been a little cheaper to add brakes to the second axle if I bought the 2-axle kit, but that's the way it goes. Not stainless, but neither are the rotors/calipers in my cars, and I don't take either into salt water. OK, maybe salty roads up here, but the trailer stays parked in the winter and never sees salt water.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/ ... 43100.html

Probably the same coupler if yours has the original Dico unit. Gotta cut or grind the welds, though, or transfer the new guts to the old housing.

The Kodiak are fine units from what little I know.

If the drum isn't coming off, check to see that the shoes aren't tilting and binding, or that some spring got jammed in there. The bearings should come right off. If the nuts don't come off, your cheater bar isn't long enough (hope you're using good quality 1/2" drive parts, though). Those bolts or studs just aren't that big.

Edit: Oops! Just noticed those are bolts, not studs. I guess you'll have to get that drum off first, if the bolt is turning.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Original axle, with brakes stripped out. I'll probably put disc brakes on it this spring.

Second (newer) axle, with new disc brakes.

Had to grind off the welds to get the old box off.

kevinnem
First Officer

Post by kevinnem » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks for the info!

For future reference, I wanted to post 2 more photos. 1 that shows the bearing, washer (that I am told not all trailers use) and the castle nut. In this case the castle nut is a normal nut with a "add on" part to it, I have not seen this in any other videos online or anything , it is usually a single case piece. The second photo (best I could take) is of the bearing. there is some "burnt" grease on it. some of the rolls are stiff, and there is one that looks cracked. They are fairly cheap to replace, so I intend to get new ones.

bearing - washer - nut - "castle"

and bearing

133bhp
First Officer

Post by 133bhp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:36 pm

the split pin goes through the castellations once you adjusted the bearing which therefore stops the bearing nut turning, Keeping precise adjustment and secure, as opposed to a straight forward nut and split pin.

kevinnem
First Officer

Post by kevinnem » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Sorry for the needed hand -holding guys. I just am somewhat out of my element here. I would like to order a set of brakes - I am I correct in ordering either this:
2-brake system
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/ ... 43100.html

or this:
4 brake system
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/ ... 43200.html

depending on weather I want 2 or 4 brakes, also, I can add 2 more to the 2 brake kit after , if I wish.

These kits come with everything I need as far as I can tell (even teh races/bearing/seals and some sort of cover with a grease point on it?) - I need to strip off the drums, all the way down to the axle/bolt flange, and grind the old coupler off. Right?

Anything else I should look at/consider?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:03 pm

I used that 2-wheel kit, but wish I had gone with the 4-wheel set because I now have a marginal tow vehicle. It's $50 more or so to add another two wheels over what it costs to get the 4-wheel set from the get-go.

And yes, you'd summed it up nicely - everything you need comes in the kit. But those aren't the only ones out there. Others here have used different brands of essentially the same thing, from other online suppliers.

I had originally ordered the kit with the Aero 7500 coupler, mostly for the manual lockout, but it was backorded, so I changed it to the one you linked to, which is identical to the OEM coupler (though it's the disk brake version, which has a slightly different master cylinder).

After you grind off the welds and clean up the tongue, you have to drill holes to bolt the new one through. Drilled surprisingly easy, considering they welded the bolt holes of the original, so I was drilling out weld metal.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:59 am

Joining this a bit late, but my 0.02

In mostly fresh water use, you don't need SS brakes. I do three weeks of salt water per year, and rinse my Cd plated brakes after each immersion. I'm on year 4 with that setup

New brakes come with all new bearings. The wheel bearings on a single Mac traier and the weak link on the whole setup...running at near full rated capacity.

Your bearing picture is showing the classic darkening of heat failure, if the photo is accurately representing its look! Bearings go from looking fine to complete failure really quickly, though. I had one go from running cool to completely destroyed in 2 hours. See "trailering on a wing (nut) and a prayer" thread.....

kevinnem
First Officer

Post by kevinnem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:14 am

okay, I am about to order the parts I need.

a few more things have come up. I am worried about ordering the wrong parts/sizes.

I will be using only 1 axle for the time being. the cost of adding the second was too high. I will be getting teh "2 brake" package form e-trailer.

I also need the grease cap/cover thing, as one of mine has gone missing in the drive getting here. I was hopeing to use a bearing buddy gease system like these

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=buddy
http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=buddy

I was hopeing someone could tell me what to get.

Also, need grease, and the gun, not sure if I can get those at e-trailer as well.

thanks , Kevin.

edit, seems they do sell grease, and guns, was hoping you guys might point me in teh right direction.
http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=grease
http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=grease

raycarlson
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by raycarlson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:40 pm

not to offend you kevinemm but it seems you have no real grasp what you are doing,and surely less confidence.rebuilding your axles are a fairly simple project, if you know what your doing.maybe you should hire someone to do it for you and also teach you at the same time,so you don't make any errors that could be damaging or injurous to someone later.Taking off and landing a small airplane is very simple also,but i would also reccomend at least one or two lessons before attempting it yourself.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:13 pm

The caps that come with those brakes look like the Kodiak ones in the listing below, with the little red button. You can see them in the 4-wheel brake kit pic.

http://www.etrailer.com/Grease-Caps/Kod ... 980AC.html

Keeps them all the same, at least.

I'd go look at mine, but it's dark outside. :?

You can get a grease gun and bearing grease at any auto parts store.

kevinnem
First Officer

Post by kevinnem » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 am

@Ray. No offense taken. I was going to hire someone to add an axle and brakes to the trailer. however, after calling some 10 places, to find only 1 that would work on a trailer - they came back with a quote of $4800.00 that didn't include new tires, that I would need to supply for them. I do have a friend that is good on the practical side of things, that will be helping me out.

The only issue I have now is the approx $200.00 in shipping that e-trailer needs to get it to me.

Yes the red-eye are the ones in the kit. glad that will all work- thanks.

My issue is not so much that it can't be done - just that I realty really don't want to order the wrong parts, and end up returning stuff, and things like that. I get very frustrated very quickly with stuff like that. My boat is also an hour away, so it is hard to measure stuff.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Taking off and landing a small airplane is very simple also,but i would also reccomend at least one or two lessons before attempting it yourself.
Never had that problem, but finding gas in the air was always a task....