New tow beast time

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New tow beast time

Post by dlandersson »

I play CD's. Lots of kids stories on audio book CD's. That and watch DVD's on longer trips. :)
RussMT wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:Pulled the trigger on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the turbocharged 6-cylinder EcoDiesel. Factory tow package with 4- and 7-pin electrical connector next to the receiver, trailer sway control, all the usual electronics (but no CD player - that's an option, and changer is not even available).
Who plays CDs anymore? Who buys CDs anymore?
I've never even inserted a CD into my car's player. Don't even know if it works. Much nicer to play via the USB cable and iPhone or XM radio.

Tow capacity looks like it will be nice for you. Better mileage offsets the higher diesel price.
raycarlson
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by raycarlson »

Though CD's went the way of cassette tapes. Didn't think any new equipment could be ordered with that techno.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

dlandersson wrote:I play CD's. Lots of kids stories on audio book CD's. That and watch DVD's on longer trips. :)
RussMT wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:Pulled the trigger on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the turbocharged 6-cylinder EcoDiesel. Factory tow package with 4- and 7-pin electrical connector next to the receiver, trailer sway control, all the usual electronics (but no CD player - that's an option, and changer is not even available).
Who plays CDs anymore? Who buys CDs anymore?
I've never even inserted a CD into my car's player. Don't even know if it works. Much nicer to play via the USB cable and iPhone or XM radio.

Tow capacity looks like it will be nice for you. Better mileage offsets the higher diesel price.
I used to play CDs in the car, but with XM radio (and my favorite FM when local), that need just isn't there, and I didn't want to make it a sticking point. Kids are grown and mostly gone so movies and game consoles in the back seat are a thing of the past. The admiral likes 'books on tape' (which are on CD), and our county library system has loads of them, so I'll have to do something about that. We have at least one portable disk player, so headphones or an aux input to the sound system should take care of that, and it would only be needed for very long rides anyway, not for most of my solo use (XM is my friend there, on business trips).

My Highlander has an EPA mileage estimate of 17/22, and while the city number seems typical, I routinely get around 27-28 mpg on long trips, so I'm hopeful that I can improve on the Jeep's 28 mpg highway (21 city) without trailer. The V8 Hemi is rated 14/20, and at least according to the EPA website, uses a mid-grade gas, so while not as expensive as diesel, the gas mileage is much lower and the estimated fuel cost much higher. They both have a 7400 lb tow rating (6200 for the V6, 5000 for the Highlander).

Even if it's a wash overall, I'm still coming out ahead, as the lease price is barely more than what I pay now, and a new Highlander is much more, with much lower capabilities. And the Highlander doesn't have trailer sway control, which at this point in the evolution of tow vehicles, is a deal breaker; it's a ubiquitous technology these days, and the Highlander was the only contender that didn't have it available. As much as I like Toyota, it's time to move on. But the admiral will probably replace our 2003 kid moving soccer mom-mobile Odyssey with a RAV4 in the spring, so it's all good. :D

The last Chrysler I've owned was a late 60's or early 70's Plymouth (Fury, I think) with the giant slab trunk and 318 V8. My brother had a couple of smaller Chryslers from the 60's/70's with the slant-6. Here's hoping I didn't make a mistake. :P

I'll post some pics and a short trip report next weekend.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

dlandersson wrote:I play CD's. Lots of kids stories on audio book CD's. That and watch DVD's on longer trips. :)
While driving? :D

You make a good point. I also have a DVD player in the backseat and believe it's been played once. Our family has outgrown this stuff, but for thers it's probably great to have. Having access to cheap entertainment is a great reason to have this tech. Long trips and kids don't mix will without something to keep 'em entertained.

CD audio books? Hmm.. another great use. We tend to download these to iPhone and play from there. Yet I know there are tons of great books out there available at libraries etc.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Tomfoolery wrote:The admiral likes 'books on tape' (which are on CD), and our county library system has loads of them, so I'll have to do something about that. We have at least one portable disk player, so headphones or an aux input to the sound system should take care of that, and it would only be needed for very long rides anyway, not for most of my solo use (XM is my friend there, on business trips).
I've downloaded some "paper" kindle books from the library. It's pretty cool. Saves a physical trip to the library. I wonder if they have audio downloads?
My Highlander has an EPA mileage estimate of 17/22, and while the city number seems typical, I routinely get around 27-28 mpg on long trips
Wow! You have the hybrid model don't you? That's really good. We get more like the EPA numbers on our standard Highlander. Our highway driving is also 75mph, not the most efficient.
Even if it's a wash overall, I'm still coming out ahead, as the lease price is barely more than what I pay now, and a new Highlander is much more, with much lower capabilities. And the Highlander doesn't have trailer sway control, which at this point in the evolution of tow vehicles, is a deal breaker; it's a ubiquitous technology these days, and the Highlander was the only contender that didn't have it available.
Yup. Seems like a wise choice. The sway control will be well worth the move. I've never towed my Mac with the Highlander, but I don't think it would be fun.
As much as I like Toyota, it's time to move on. But the admiral will probably replace our 2003 kid moving soccer mom-mobile Odyssey with a RAV4 in the spring, so it's all good. :D.
I also have a RAV4. It will probably go to the teenager when he gets his license in Feb. It's a V6 and way overpowered for such a small SUV. It does have a real 4WD lock button for snow. I recently rented a new RAV4 and the 4 cyl motor is plenty of power and it's a nice car.

I don't know about other car makes, but Toyota has a cool bluetooth connection. Let's you play music/books on "tape"/pandora from the car audio and handsfree phone functions. I can keep my phone in my pocket and make calls and play music. The USB connector mates the iPhone/Android to the car computer. This lets the car play pandora on its system. However for the most part I've found giving the car internet access to be a pretty useless feature. The car computer will display local fuel prices and let you map to them. My phone does that too with less fuss.
Toyota now has some mic built in that lets the driver yell at kids in the back through speakers without screaming. :|

Our 2013 Highlander has been good to us. I may trade it in for a 2015 while it still has decent value. I only tow small toys with it. Your upgraded tow beast sounds like a wise decision. Just don't do as Matt did and put gasoline in it. :)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

RussMT wrote:
My Highlander has an EPA mileage estimate of 17/22, and while the city number seems typical, I routinely get around 27-28 mpg on long trips
Wow! You have the hybrid model don't you? That's really good. We get more like the EPA numbers on our standard Highlander. Our highway driving is also 75mph, not the most efficient.
No, just the standard V6. I keep it at or under 70 mph, and drive mostly on the NYS Thruway, which is fairly flat. Cruise control is good.
RussMT wrote:
As much as I like Toyota, it's time to move on. But the admiral will probably replace our 2003 kid moving soccer mom-mobile Odyssey with a RAV4 in the spring, so it's all good. :D.
I also have a RAV4. It will probably go to the teenager when he gets his license in Feb. It's a V6 and way overpowered for such a small SUV. It does have a real 4WD lock button for snow. I recently rented a new RAV4 and the 4 cyl motor is plenty of power and it's a nice car.
We have a 2008 RAV4 with 4-wheel drive (or whatever they call it these days) that our boys use in college, first one then the other, in Buffalo and now in Syracuse. Snow country. :D 4-cylinder engine has a lot of pep. I drove it to Houston once. Drives really well. That's why the admiral decided it was her next car, after driving it for a few months.
RussMT wrote:Our 2013 Highlander has been good to us. I may trade it in for a 2015 while it still has decent value. I only tow small toys with it. Your upgraded tow beast sounds like a wise decision. Just don't do as Matt did and put gasoline in it. :)
I'm worried about the admiral doing that, but at least it's got a big yellow ring around the fill spout (no cap - just stab it in), and big words about diesel only. I'll end up doing all the fueling anyway, and I usually fill her car too, just to be a nice guy. :D

Now, what were you saying about Matt putting gas in his diesel? :?: :?: :?:
Cedarsailor
Deckhand

Post by Cedarsailor »

We are looking at replacing our Chevy Astro with something similar as we like the versatility. One new contender is the Nissan NV. http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com

Our local dealer doesn't carry them - has anyone else tried one as they have a decent tow rating?
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

In quite a few places it'sevidently the local law that the husband, father, etc, puts fuel in the vehicles. I know my ex's all felt that way. :D
Tomfoolery wrote: I'll end up doing all the fueling anyway, and I usually fill her car too, just to be a nice guy. :D
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Tomfoolery wrote:Now, what were you saying about Matt putting gas in his diesel? :?: :?: :?:
We are both nice guys. My admiral hasn't put fuel in our vehicles in years. 8) I wouldn't sweat it.

Matt posted on the facebook page that he put gasoline in his diesel SUV. Cost him quite a penny to clean it out.

Would love to hear your results in towing with the sway control. Matt claimed that his Mercedes engineered tow beast handles very well. So I would expect similar results with your new beast.
Those high tech computer controls are amazing. They really make driving so much easier.

BTW, what color did you buy? Some pics?

--Russ
seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse »

In a “capless” fuel filler only a nozzle that is the right size will allow the filler to open and allow fuel in. Anything larger (obviously) or smaller will not work (there is a metal valve "gate" that will not open). This is presently in use on Ford gasoline vehicles (mine has it...maybe others?), so the technology exists and is in use to prevent that.

Are you sure it's possible to put gasoline into the tank of a brand new diesel vehicle? I'm surprised. (It used to be a “somewhat” common occurrence, I've heard of it a few times before).

What! - did that really happen to Matt on a new vehicle? I guess I missed that too.

-B. :wink:

...maybe the larger size for the diesel nozzle has not been standardized like the gasoline nozzles? Or maybe they're making too much money as it is to fix the mistakes?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

RussMT wrote:BTW, what color did you buy? Some pics?
Maximum Steel Metallic Clear Coat. Reminds me of Zoolander. :D :D :D It's a dark gray with a hint of blue, and it's dangerously close to 1960's metalflake.

I wanted white, for color coordination with my white :macx: , and of course, for the speed advantage, but I took the deal for the deal. I just hope that hint of blue doesn't slow me down - I don't remember ever having a vehicle with blue in or on it, so we'll see. :P

This pic from their web site is pretty blasé, but it's what comes up when you pick Blue Steel, er, Maximum Steel Metallic. I'll post a couple once I get it.

Last edited by Tomfoolery on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

seahouse wrote:...maybe the larger size for the diesel nozzle has not been standardized like the gasoline nozzles? Or maybe they're making too much money as it is to fix the mistakes?
Based on my increasingly fuzzy recollection of that era, the present diesel nozzle size was the standard size for all fuel nozzles before unleaded came on the scene. They made unleaded smaller so you couldn't put leaded fuel in a vehicle with a catalytic converter (which would ruin it, of course), and leaded gas retained the 'standard' size nozzle, sometimes with both at the same pump. I don't know if the diesel filler nozzles are standardized, but I would assume they are, if only because the manufacturers wouldn't have had to change anything that way. Just a guess, though.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

seahouse wrote: What! - did that really happen to Matt on a new vehicle? I guess I missed that too.

...maybe the larger size for the diesel nozzle has not been standardized like the gasoline nozzles? Or maybe they're making too much money as it is to fix the mistakes?
I believe it was on his Mercedes...so yes it cost a pretty penny to fix.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

RussMT wrote:
seahouse wrote: What! - did that really happen to Matt on a new vehicle? I guess I missed that too.

I believe it was on his Mercedes...so yes it cost a pretty penny to fix.
There's even a blurb in the Jeep manual (diesel engine supplement) about that. Something to the effect that, if you do that, Don't Start The Engine!!!! and call for a wrecker. I guess it's not too bad as long as it never gets beyond the fuel tank, but starting even so much as a fuel boost pump sends it on its way, which can't be good.

Although I've seen that happen in some 40's or 50's vintage heavy equipment (in a former life), and the mechanics just drained the tank, refilled with fuel, and cranked it while bleeding the injector system. But then, those dinosaur diesels were a different animal, by miles. They were pretty hard to kill, even when you tried. :D :wink:
raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson »

All diesel fuel tank fills are full size with no restrictors as over 50% of diesel stations have semi-truck size pump nozzles which are almost 2 inches in diameter as filling a couple of 200 gallon tanks on a truck would take to long with the auto size nozzle of only 3/4 inch.