Rear Wheel Drive or 4 Wheel Drive

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
ecossebob
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Rear Wheel Drive or 4 Wheel Drive

Post by ecossebob »

I tow my 26X with a 1995 Ford Aerostar, All Wheel Drive, Extended Cab, 6cyl. Tows great.
I am looking to upgrade to a used 2000 something Chev Avlanche. There are 2 versions. 2 wheel rear drive and 4x4 wheel drive.
My question is do you really need a 4x4 on the slippery launch ramps?.
The 4x4 Avalanche is a rare beast where I live, but there are plenty 2 wheel rear drive versions available.
I will only be launching into the big lakes here in California - Arizona - Navada, not the Pacific.
What is your experience 2 wheel vs 4x4 drive?.
I don't drive locally much, so MPG is not a problem. I have looked at other trucks till I'm sick and I'm now stuck on the Avalanche.
Help - Thanks - Bob.
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: Rear Wheel Drive or 4 Wheel Drive

Post by yukonbob »

You'll want the 4x4 only when you need it.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Are your ramps steep and slimy? If so, 4wd helps.
yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob »

If you don't get the 4x4, one day you'll end up needing it. If you get the 4x4 you'll never need it. Murphy's an a**hole :wink:
sirlandsalot
Engineer

Post by sirlandsalot »

It is sure nice to have...when you need it. The rest of the time, maintaining it, packing all that weight around sucks. 4x4 does not like high mileage.

I have always had it, can't remember not having it, even the wife's car is "all wheel drive" But I get 6 feet of snow.

The most useful part I find of 4x4 is the low gear, saves the clutch and allows you to drive slowly over things as appose to getting a run a it. I use low to pull out my boat, but only because I have it.

Personally, I would not go down that road just to pull a boat out. You will probably agree after you need to re build the front end, lots of heavy expensive parts up there.

My two,bits.
yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob »

360,000 km (220,000 m) and just did a $1500.00 worth of front end work on original OEM parts on my 98 f250. Lot of other components go long before hubs or front diff gives out.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

ecossebob wrote:My question is do you really need a 4x4 on the slippery launch ramps?.
If that's your only question, then my answer would be yes, on a slippery ramp with rear wheel drive, you may or may not make it up. As others have stated, you won't know if you need it until you need it. At that point you'll have to have someone help pull you up the hill until you have traction if you don't have it.

And since I just can't stop at the stated question without tossing out my otherwise unsolicited opinion, here's my unsolicited opinion. :wink: That vehicle has something like an 8000 lb tow rating, and is built on a truck frame. Good for towing. I don't know what kind of 4x4 system it has, but I suppose it's not made with the old-school type systems that will take locking hubs you can disengage for highway driving (to save gas, and wear). But since you don't care about mileage, that's not really a consideration, as long as the front axle isn't transmitting power while driving on dry roads. Spinning parts don't wear as fast as spinning parts under load, of course. But they do wear. Since it's built on one of their truck platforms, presumably it uses the same parts, so (hopefully) parts availability won't be a problem over time.

Some vintages actually have a low range, which is sweet for pulling a trailer up the ramp. But it's not necessary, of course. Just nice to have, especially so with a manual transmission (saves the clutch).

I also like the 'mid-gate' concept, where you can extend the bed into the second row seating. I have no idea how that works, but from a quick read on Edmund's, it looks kinda neat for a vehicle that may need to carry long things sometimes.

That's all I've got. :|
Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stevenhigbee »

Maybe an electric winch mounted on the front bumper would resolve most of the situations where you might otherwise need 4wd.
Capt Sully
Chief Steward

Post by Capt Sully »

4WD is better than 2WD, and 4WD will always be there if and when you need it. IMHO
yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob »

Stevenhigbee wrote:Maybe an electric winch mounted on the front bumper would resolve most of the situations where you might otherwise need 4wd.
Or better yet 4wd with a winch :wink:

Just to be clear this is a 4x4 with 2spd transfer case we're talking here not some AWD system? If the options there and it has a locking rear diff I'd snatch it up :P On the note of locking hubs I'm pretty sure most modern 4x4 use automatic hubs as well. They lock and unlock you just don't have to get out and do it yourself. I prefer manual locks for their reliability and you can have them switched out for relatively cheap.
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal »

A friend of mine has a 4X4 Avalanche for his 23' IO and loves it. I believe it has the 4-6-8 engine (or something like it) that automatically cuts out cylinders when the power isn't needed. It gives him much better gas mileage when he's not towing. I have a Merc Mountaineer AWD. Sometimes I wish I had a 4X4 so I could disconnect it when I don't need it, and increase my gas mileage. As posted above, you don't want a 4X4 until you NEED it.
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

OK, this is a somewhat quantified reply - My last car was a Ford Escape AWD X 4FWD under -rated (3000lbs) towing weight vehicle. My current love affair is a Ford 150 2WD with locking rear hubs (inboard) and, I've never missed a docking rendezvous since. Previously, I could engage 4W lockup and get out of anywhere, especially on a slippery ramp.
Rest of the time - specially driving north of the Mason-Dixon - I'm currently guessing how many times I could predicate how many extra sandbags were needed.
:(
Spring slime and Winter sucks...

R.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

...yet sometimes you have it and... WHOOPS!
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

Damn! .... that could'a been me.... :(

:D
yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob »

Ya 4x4 doesn't fix stupid, nothing really seems to; And never forget the only math you need to know in life if 4x4=FUN :P