Boat, bike and jet ski trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Rds1969
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Boat, bike and jet ski trailer

Post by Rds1969 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:06 pm

Has anyone modified there trailer to hold a motorcycle or jet ski or both.

I take my bike in back of my truck and load with a ramp,it can get a little dangerousness sometimes , the truck box being so high.

Could the Mac trailer with an extra axel do it. The bike about 600 lbs.
I was thinking a motorcycle in the front and jet ski in the rear both weight about 600lbs

Any ideas
Thx

bartmac
Captain

Re: Boat, bike and jet ski trailer

Post by bartmac » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:50 pm

I moded a jetski trailer by installing a floor to hold a motorbike 200-300kg depending on whether the Duke or BMW was on board.The trailer already had a basket come roofrack which I raised further for our Hobie kayaks.The side uprights also allows bicycles to be carried on the outside....our toy trailer!!!
Obviously a mac single axle trailer would easily carry a motorbike and jetski as the combined weight would be far less than a Mac.A later addition was large toolbox trunk on the drawbar for lifejackets,paddles,etc etc

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:00 am

Do you mean with the Mac on the trailer?
Aluminum trailer or steel?

The Mac hangs off the back of the trailer, so there's no room for extra stuffs.

Without the Mac, I suppose you could load toys on there.

Rds1969

Post by Rds1969 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Jet ski off the back with the Mac , both on the trailer at the same time

Like this one
[*]Image

But I was hoping to modify the Mac trailer 2nd axle and extend trailer hold bike or jetski.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Balance is a big issue. 2nd axle would solve the load weight, but you still need to balance tongue weight. The Mac aluminum trailer does not extend far enough back. You could extend this I suppose, but structurally I don't know how.
The aluminum trailer is simply built. You could have a shop build you one with longer I beams, but I would still be concerned with weight distribution. In the photo above, the Jet Skis are part of the rig. So they must be onboard for towing else the trailer is back heavy.

The more I think about it, modifying this trailer is probably more work than just building a custom one from scratch.

There is a guy in my marina with a 4 ski trailer. I don't know how he launches the front ones. Must have to sink that thing WAY back into the water.

I wonder if you could modify the trailer to tow another behind it. I've seen RV rigs like this.

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:01 pm

Agree with Russ. You would need to make such extensive major modifications to the Mac trailers (either steel, or aluminum) to meet pretty much every requirement, that you are better off starting from scratch on a trailer designed and built for that purpose from the beginning.

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 pm

seahouse wrote:Agree with Russ. You would need to make such extensive major modifications to the Mac trailers (either steel, or aluminum) to meet pretty much every requirement, that you are better off starting from scratch on a trailer designed and built for that purpose from the beginning.
Concur. Everything about the MacGregor trailer is designed to flex with the weight of the expected load, and is designed to accommodate just the boat. You might get away with putting a 250 lb. dirt bike on the tongue but I wouldn't go beyond that.

A custom trailer solves all problems, except those it creates.