Steel Trailer Restoration

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Neo
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Steel Trailer Restoration

Post by Neo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi All,

I have the older steel Mac trailer which is showing some bubble rust so I am looking to sand/soda blast the whole thing and repaint it in POR-15 rust prevention paint. http://www.ppcco.com.au/por06.html
Just wondering if anyone has done this before or if anyone can offer advice?
Also, is it best to soda or sand blast the metal frame?

All the best.
Neo

bartmac
Captain

Re: Steel Trailer Restoration

Post by bartmac » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:16 pm

Had my steel trailer sandblasted....allowed it to bloom and then went thru the whole POR15 system and yes successfully....now 4.5 years on it seems to be lasting.
Expensive and time consuming given I decided not to spray but apply by brush all the layers and multiple coats....when finished I actually sprayed it with a rust preventative....tar like with fishoil

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:41 pm

bartmac wrote:Had my steel trailer sandblasted....allowed it to bloom and then went thru the whole POR15 system and yes successfully....now 4.5 years on it seems to be lasting.
Expensive and time consuming given I decided not to spray but apply by brush all the layers and multiple coats....when finished I actually sprayed it with a rust preventative....tar like with fishoil
Thanks Bart.... that's good information and a 1+ for the very expensive PPC product lol!
Did you have use the additional rust preventative tar paint? .... Would you recommend spray painting PPC?

All the best
Neo

Don T
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Hello,
I did my steel trailer last year. You can see the project here, just scroll down a bit:
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =9&t=23070

I treated the metal / rust remnants with Ospho (Ace Hardware), which is phosphoric and dichromate acid, to abate any rust and acts as a metal prep.

I used Rustolum products, brushed on everywhere except the fenders which I sprayed. Looks great now, we'll see after a few years.

Don T

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Don T wrote:Hello,
I did my steel trailer last year. You can see the project here, just scroll down a bit:
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =9&t=23070
I treated the metal / rust remnants with Ospho (Ace Hardware), which is phosphoric and dichromate acid, to abate any rust and acts as a metal prep.
I used Rustolum products, brushed on everywhere except the fenders which I sprayed. Looks great now, we'll see after a few years.
Don T
Great information Don.... and you're a brave man putting your Mac on those cradles ..... I'll be putting my Mac in a local marina berth for a few days.... That way I can go sailing while I'm waiting for the paint to dry :D