Trailer Questions

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Trailer Questions

Post by K9Kampers »

macowneril2015 wrote:I have the stock trailer single axle, drum brakes. Could anyone point me in the right direction in what size bearings I need.
Your bearing size is likely to be (x)* or it could be (y)*. To eliminate chance of receiving wrong information, I'd pull the old bearings and refer to the part # on them to buy new.

[*= refers to arbitrary dimension for illustration]
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

macowneril2015 wrote:I have the stock trailer single axle, drum brakes. Could anyone point me in the right direction in what size bearings I need.
I have a 2001 :macx: with the stock trailer. I called Blue Water Yachts in Seattle last year. They knew what I needed and got me a kit with bearings, seals, caps & lug nuts. Their online parts search says call for price. I can't remember what I paid, but I remember thinking it was really reasonable.

Jeff
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

If it's the same welded rectangular tube axle as mine (original equipment), the inner bearing is an L68111 1-3/8" ID bearing, and the outer is an L44610 1-1/16" ID bearing. But if the bearing is shot, so are the races, and to get to the inner, you have to wreck the seal, so the best thing to do is just get the whole kit. And make sure it's a double-lipped seal, to keep grease in, and water out. Like this one. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bearin ... 2-100.html I've also been able to find similar kits at the local auto parts store, but I don't remember now if they had double lipped seals.

Here's a picture of the axle, for reference. I had stripped out the brakes, which were stuck and burned as I brought it home the first time. I've since installed disc brakes, and stripped out some of the springs leaves to soften the ride (mine has 2 axles, per a previous owner). But your OEM axle should look like this, rectangular, with the spindle welded above the centerline. 3500 lb axles most commonly, but not exclusively, use the bearings I linked to. Some of them, however, use two bearings of the same size, so make sure you get the right type. Best to pull it apart and measure the spindle OD with calipers if you're not sure.

The shot below is of the other axle, but it uses the same bearings and seals, and is the clearest shot I have of the spindle. The seal rides on the largest OD, the inner (larger) bearing bears up against the shoulder, and the outer (smaller) bearing bears against the shoulder just beyond the land after the threads, where the protective brown filth ring is. :P

macowneril2015
Engineer
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Post by macowneril2015 »

Thank you. You guys have really helped me out, without these forums the boat and trailer would be on craigslist.