Mast is bouncing a great deal while towed

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
born2sail

Mast is bouncing a great deal while towed

Post by born2sail »

My 2013 :macm: has the mast support at the bow and stern, but nothing in the middle. Should I make something? Because it bounces dramatically, even on smooth roads.

I am making a PVC pipe (cut in half) for the roller furler to sit in while still attached to the mast, so I could just get more PVC pipe and fashion something to go from the step plate up to the mast.

Thoughts?
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Mast is bouncing a great deal while towed

Post by Sumner »

I have an S but made a support out of a 2X4 that connects with a thru-bolt at the mast step. It also has a bolt going through it near the top so that we can put the pop-top up at home or on the road. Obviously having a M you don't need that. I have a cleat on the bow side of the support that speeds up putting a line from it up and around the mast,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Secured at the bottom with a cable tie through that hole and at the top with cable ties or a bungee cord

Mostly I use the big cable ties to packup all the rigging now. So much faster than bungee or ropes and cheap as chips.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I went low tech.

2x4 blocking bungeed around mast with 1/4" thick padding at top and bottom to prevent scratching.

My buddy rode with me to pick the boat up when I bought it (about 60 miles). He asked, "can you see the mast in the rear view?" I told him no. He said "good". When we got back, he said the mast bouncing was driving him nuts.
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

Why you need a support in the middle?

The MacGregor manual says you have to tie down the mast in the middle. Give some tension on the mast and then the mast should not bounse.

Why make it more complicate?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Good point Kurz - my friends all say I can complicate a rock. Tying down the midpoint without support will deflect the mast. It might not be enough to actually cause damage, but I feel better supporting it, to prevent deflecting it. When it's supported AND tied down, it doesn't move. That leaves me more time to worry about my single axle and tires, and the idiots that follow too close...
jakeintexas

Post by jakeintexas »

Jimmyt wrote:Good point Kurz - my friends all say I can complicate a rock. Tying down the midpoint without support will deflect the mast. It might not be enough to actually cause damage, but I feel better supporting it, to prevent deflecting it. When it's supported AND tied down, it doesn't move. That leaves me more time to worry about my single axle and tires, and the idiots that follow too close...
I agree... feel better braced midway .
I brace just aft of companionway, then I use same brace when I store boat with tarp just aft of front hatch. Keeps rain from puddle up. It raises mast up better angle for rain to run off.
Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M »

I use one ratchet strap to hold the modified PVC mast holder in place while I am loading and unloading, and of course the other ratchet strap holds the Mast firmly in place while traveling. I even added a piece of foam for added stability. This works like a charm for long trips out to the West Coast. :)
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike »

kurz wrote:Why you need a support in the middle?

The MacGregor manual says you have to tie down the mast in the middle. Give some tension on the mast and then the mast should not bounse.

Why make it more complicate?
Because Aluminium unlike steel will break if allowed to flex to much for too long, apart from that the mast is the single most expensive part on the boat, so your protecting your investment from unnecessary wear and tear