Tie Downs

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Orkia
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Tie Downs

Post by Orkia »

I am a new 1991 MacGregor 26S owner. I took her out on her maiden voyage today. It was a success. I am looking forward to many great sails in the future.

i have a stock trailer. One question I had was how to secure the rear of the boat with ratchet tie downs. I have seen pictures of boats using them when on trailers. I just can not figure out where to attach to the trailer or the boat. Any suggestions?
grady
Captain

Re: Tie Downs

Post by grady »

I know I will catch hull for this but I dont attach the aft of the boat to the trailer. The boat will stay in place. Even if you drove like an idiot you could not throw the boat off. If you think about it you are not tying the boat to the trailer you are acually tying the trailer to the boat.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

I throw a strap over the stern in part because it's state law, and I don't want someone who's behind on their quota to have an excuse. :D

I have a single long strap, with just a cinch buckle (no ratchet). My trailer is the original steel channel frame, so the strap passes between the hull and the frame, and wraps down and around and up the outside, with the steel clip grabbing the upper flange. Same for the other side, with the strap just passing over the helm between the wheel and the mast crutch post.

This is standard truck tie-down technique, where even if it gets loose, it won't come off. And if driving at high speed, put a twist or two into the strap on each side, and in the middle spans, to prevent whipping. Snug it up and don't worry about it.

And while you're at it, run a dock line around the rudder, terminated on the mooring cleats, as a backup. Doesn't have to be tight; just has to be there. And that dock line will already be on deck for when you launch, like the other one I use for stabilizing the mast. :wink:

This is the best pic I have, zoomed in but still hard to see. Clicking on the image will make it larger. The strap passed between the hull and the trailer frame, wraps up and over, and hooks onto the top flange. The big knot of strap is just to use up the extra. I really should cut it off and burn the edge to eliminate most of that mess. :|

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT »

grady wrote:I know I will catch hull for this but I dont attach the aft of the boat to the trailer. The boat will stay in place. Even if you drove like an idiot you could not throw the boat off. If you think about it you are not tying the boat to the trailer you are acually tying the trailer to the boat.
It's true, the only reason to tie the back of the boat is in case YOU HIT SOMETHING - not for the boat. The main reason people tie that back is that sometimes freeway on or off ramps with sharp turns might not give the trailer enough room to get around the bend and the trailer might hit a curb at high speed. The sudden jerk to one side or the other can break the aluminum goal post and put a really nasty scratch on the bottom of the boat depending on where the goal post breaks (usually right there at the bolt hole). The reason to tie it down is just to prevent gouges to the bottom of the boat. (Never tow your boat over gravel or dirt roads at high speed either - bad for the bottom).

Tying it down with the dock lines is good enough - The MacGregor factory towed thousands of boats all over the country delivering to all parts of the eastern seaboard over all kinds of roads using only the dock lines. If your boat is on the East Coast odds are the trailer already has over 2000 miles on it and the boat does too so the dock lines seem to have worked pretty good. The strap over the stern is even better. I have a strap but I only use it if I tow over 100 miles. If your not going far you don't need any ties but if you hit a curb or a bump too hard it could scratch your boat.

Most other boats really do need tie downs because they are much heavier and will damage the bunks if not tied.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Tomfoolery wrote:I throw a strap over the stern in part because it's state law, and I don't want someone who's behind on their quota to have an excuse. :D
And while you're at it, run a dock line around the rudder, terminated on the mooring cleats, as a backup. Doesn't have to be tight; just has to be there. And that dock line will already be on deck for when you launch, like the other one I use for stabilizing the mast. :wink:
Good idea.

Doesn't the X (or D/S) have a "safety" hole in the rudder bracket to pin the rudder up? If not, this is great advice. A dragging rudder that came loose could get chewed up pretty fast.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

RussMT wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:I throw a strap over the stern in part because it's state law, and I don't want someone who's behind on their quota to have an excuse. :D
Good idea.

Doesn't the X (or D/S) have a "safety" hole in the rudder bracket to pin the rudder up? If not, this is great advice. A dragging rudder that came loose could get chewed up pretty fast.
Mine has such a hole in each bracket, though there are no holes in the rudders to match. But I'd rather just loop the dock line, as it's headed for parts unknown anyway, where the dock line will be needed. And I'd probably lose the pins anyway. :P
Orkia
Chief Steward

Post by Orkia »

Lots of great info. Thank you for the advice. I had thought the tie downs weren't needed, but it does give a sense of security if nothing else.