Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Trailer sway

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Trailer sway

Postby npsrangerchuck » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:07 am

I pull the :macm: up a very steep ramp, ballast in (waiting line to get out) and never had an issue with the 4runner. Plenty o' torque!
npsrangerchuck
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Tomfoolery » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:19 am

BOAT wrote:I was considering 4 wd for launching but, like you said, it's a waste of money for a grocery getter and I will never use that ramp anyways. The place to use 4WD is in Mexico, but that place is so screwed up right now we can't go sailing there anymore. It got really bad 2 years ago and now it's beyond gone so we will not be going anymore.

It sounds like the JGC will work fine getting up and down Dana Point - that's all it really needs to do. Thanks

Poking around Jeep's specs pages, the 2WD version has a slightly lower axle reduction ratio at 3.27:1 vs the 4WD at 3.45:1, but that's not enough to make any difference in the real world as far as pulling a boat up a ramp, assuming transmission ratios are the same. All the V-6 versions have an 8-speed tranny, and the V-6 gas actually has a much higher hp figure at 295 hp vs the diesel at 240 hp.*

Since I can't get another diesel at this time (thanks again, Volkswagen :x ), and would rather not buy mine out at the end of the lease, I'm going to seriously consider the V-6 gas version, which has a 6200 lb tow rating vs the diesel at 7200 lb, both of which are much more than my 4000 lb trailer weight, and being that it's the same vehicle, presumably the ratings differ due to engine capability and cooling needs rather than chassis and brakes.

https://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabiliti ... rokee4Tab*

And, to the OP's point, they all have, or have available as an option, trailer sway mitigation of some stripe. But I have no idea what that actually entails, as my manual doesn't even mention it, even though it's on the window sticker in my files. :|

*With an 8-speed tranny, the max torque figure is kind of irrelevent, as transmission reduction ratios are selected on the fly to match the need, much like the old Detroit Diesel powered trucks with the super narrow torque band which were usually matched with 18-speed Road Ranger transmissions - and you needed all of them to stay in the power band when hauling a load, shifting like a mad man when accelerating from a stop. Or on the slightest hill. What a pain. :P
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby BOAT » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:03 am

Tomfoolery wrote:
BOAT wrote:I was considering 4 wd for launching but, like you said, it's a waste of money for a grocery getter and I will never use that ramp anyways. The place to use 4WD is in Mexico, but that place is so screwed up right now we can't go sailing there anymore. It got really bad 2 years ago and now it's beyond gone so we will not be going anymore.

It sounds like the JGC will work fine getting up and down Dana Point - that's all it really needs to do. Thanks

Poking around Jeep's specs pages, the 2WD version has a slightly lower axle reduction ratio at 3.27:1 vs the 4WD at 3.45:1, but that's not enough to make any difference in the real world as far as pulling a boat up a ramp, assuming transmission ratios are the same. All the V-6 versions have an 8-speed tranny, and the V-6 gas actually has a much higher hp figure at 295 hp vs the diesel at 240 hp.*

Since I can't get another diesel at this time (thanks again, Volkswagen :x ), and would rather not buy mine out at the end of the lease, I'm going to seriously consider the V-6 gas version, which has a 6200 lb tow rating vs the diesel at 7200 lb, both of which are much more than my 4000 lb trailer weight, and being that it's the same vehicle, presumably the ratings differ due to engine capability and cooling needs rather than chassis and brakes.

https://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabiliti ... rokee4Tab*

And, to the OP's point, they all have, or have available as an option, trailer sway mitigation of some stripe. But I have no idea what that actually entails, as my manual doesn't even mention it, even though it's on the window sticker in my files. :|

*With an 8-speed tranny, the max torque figure is kind of irrelevent, as transmission reduction ratios are selected on the fly to match the need, much like the old Detroit Diesel powered trucks with the super narrow torque band which were usually matched with 18-speed Road Ranger transmissions - and you needed all of them to stay in the power band when hauling a load, shifting like a mad man when accelerating from a stop. Or on the slightest hill. What a pain. :P

Okay, I sort of concur with what your saying even though I don't know as much about it as you - but I think I will go ahead and put in an order for the 2wd v6 - that should get the job done. I have never bought any car that was not German or American so I don't have a lot of experience with different brands of cars. I always had a BMW or a Volkswagen for the wife and I always drove a Mercedes or a Dodge Truck or a ford van for myself because I do not commute or drive very much (I work from home). Since the wife's car needs to be a backup tow now I just assumed the ML300 was my only choice but when I found out it also came in an "American Version" that's a lot cheaper I though why not? But I had no experience with a Jeep - never had one before. Always liked them because I saw them in the desert all the time (I had a dune buggy).
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Tomfoolery » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 am

BOAT wrote:Okay, I sort of concur with what your saying even though I don't know as much about it as you - but I think I will go ahead and put in an order for the 2wd v6 - that should get the job done.

Be SURE to get the factory tow package, which includes tranny cooling, possibly HD engine cooling and larger alternator, and a factory wiring harness with 4-flat and 7-round RV-type trailer light connections. And the bumper trim is molded around the receiver and electric connections, which looks much neater than a hitch hanging under an otherwise unmolested bumper. With a cheesy lighting connection dangling out the back, without reverse pin (for trailer brake lockout). And the tow rating without the factory setup is only something like 3500 lb. :|

There are trim levels that include air shocks and/or automatic load leveling, which is nice if you have a lot of tongue weight. That's what I want on the next one. :wink:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:52 am

Tomfoolery wrote:
BOAT wrote:Okay, I sort of concur with what your saying even though I don't know as much about it as you - but I think I will go ahead and put in an order for the 2wd v6 - that should get the job done.

Be SURE to get the factory tow package, which includes tranny cooling, possibly HD engine cooling and larger alternator, and a factory wiring harness with 4-flat and 7-round RV-type trailer light connections. And the bumper trim is molded around the receiver and electric connections, which looks much neater than a hitch hanging under an otherwise unmolested bumper. With a cheesy lighting connection dangling out the back, without reverse pin (for trailer brake lockout). And the tow rating without the factory setup is only something like 3500 lb. :|

There are trim levels that include air shocks and/or automatic load leveling, which is nice if you have a lot of tongue weight. That's what I want on the next one. :wink:

Okay, I just sent the car buying service at my bank a note to not allow the dealer to install a hitch - factory only. Thanks, that's really good advice. I appreciate that much.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Tomfoolery » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:11 pm

BOAT wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:

Okay, I just sent the car buying service at my bank a note to not allow the dealer to install a hitch - factory only. Thanks, that's really good advice. I appreciate that much.

Class III Trailer Tow Group, optional on some trim lines, standard on other trim lines, but available on all the GC's, both 2- and 4-WD.

Looking forward to a report. On someone else's dime. :D I have to make a move in January.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:42 am

Tomfoolery wrote:Okay, I sort of concur with what your saying even though I don't know as much about it as you - but I think I will go ahead and put in an order for the 2wd v6 - that should get the job done.

Class III Trailer Tow Group, optional on some trim lines, standard on other trim lines, but available on all the GC's, both 2- and 4-WD.

Looking forward to a report. On someone else's dime. :D I have to make a move in January.

Hey Tom, we decided on a little beefier tow package they offered a step up from III they call IV (so I guess that's a 4 instead of a 3) because that had everything they could throw at the trailer: sway control, stabilizers, automatic load leveling adjusters, big radiators and oil and transmission coolers and trailer display stuff on the dash (whatever that is). We also decided to go with the 4wd in case we use that slippery ramp at Newport Beach or if by some miracle Mexico ever gets back to normal we can start going back there and use the their ramps (which are just THE BEACH!).

We could not find a diesel anywhere - and they would not allow us to order one, even on a 2018 model, so we took the 2017 model and that was 6 grand cheaper than the 2018, (cuz the dealers are trying to get rid of them).

I'll let you know how it tows.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Tomfoolery » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:50 am

Breaking news on that front is that the diesel just got approved (or re-approved) by the EPA and CARB, and production has restarted at least on the Ram trucks with that option, and rumor has it that the badge just says 'Diesel' rather than 'EcoDiesel'. But no news about when the Jeep diesel (same engine) will be available again.

I think I'm going to just buy mine at the end of the lease, and get another to replace it in a year or two.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Previous

Return to Trailers & Towing