Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Hyde Sails USA

Fueling while on trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Fueling while on trailer

Postby bellevuesailor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 pm

Does the typical gas nozzel at the station reach the fuel tanks on a MacGregor 26m on the trailer?
bellevuesailor

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Fueling while on trailer

Postby Don T » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Hello,
Yes, I don't fuel up until I am at my destination. Like Anacortes then drive to Washington Park to launch.
Don T
Admiral

Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby K9Kampers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 am

Yes, and I use an over-size utility carabiner to hang the nozzle from the life line when I climb into / out of the cockpit.

The big issue at some gas stations is being able to get close enough to a pump without clipping another car or something, or getting trapped because there is no room to pull thru. Before going into a new pump, first check it out to see that you can get out! :x :D
K9Kampers
Admiral

Postby RussMT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Yes. Most hang from high up on the pump so they will reach.

I go to a truck stop place that has plenty of room to maneuver.
RussMT
Admiral

Postby David Mellon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:28 am

Costco gas stations have extra long hoses so you can easily fuel from the "wrong" side of your car. besides I save hundreds a year fueling there. I bring an 8' ladder just to make things simple, I don't have to climb into the cockpit that way. I also use my boat hook to bring the nozzle across the cockpit when I switch sides.
David Mellon
Captain

Postby K9Kampers » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:04 am

One thing you don't want to do is to load a full fuel tank onto the boat while on the trailer...BTDT!

Once, due craziness at the fuel pumps, I parked away from the pumps and carried the fuel tank over to fill. It was a bear to lift a nearly 7 gallon tank overhead to place on top of the OB, then balance it steady while climbing up thru the transom without a ladder. Because of the way I had tied things down for travel, I then had to lift the tank over the captain's seat into the cockpit. I was too stupid to ask for help!
K9Kampers
Admiral

Postby K9Kampers » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:05 am

One thing you don't want to do is to load a full fuel tank onto the boat while on the trailer...BTDT!

Once, due craziness at the fuel pumps, I parked away from the pumps and carried the fuel tank over to fill. It was a bear to lift a nearly 7 gallon tank overhead to place on top of the OB, then balance it steady while climbing up thru the transom without a ladder. Because of the way I had tied things down for travel, I then had to lift the tank over the captain's seat into the cockpit. I was too stupid to ask for help!. :o
K9Kampers
Admiral

Postby Ponaldpe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:24 am

K9Kampers wrote:One thing you don't want to do is to load a full fuel tank onto the boat while on the trailer...BTDT!

Once, due craziness at the fuel pumps, I parked away from the pumps and carried the fuel tank over to fill. It was a bear to lift a nearly 7 gallon tank overhead to place on top of the OB, then balance it steady while climbing up thru the transom without a ladder. Because of the way I had tied things down for travel, I then had to lift the tank over the captain's seat into the cockpit. I was too stupid to ask for help!. :o

I have 12 gallon tanks so their is no way I am picking that up full and putting in the boat. Some gas pumps are challenge to get to , just take your time.
Ponaldpe
Engineer

Postby Wind Chime » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:28 am

Just a reminder when at an automobile gas station - to check which octane level is best for your engine. Most marinas only have one choice, either gasoline or diesel.
Wind Chime
Captain

Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Postby BOAT » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:27 pm

After that day that I looked under boat and saw this goopy goo I never take 'boat' to the gas station anymore:

The gas was too old and made a goopy goo mess.

Ever since then I always go get fresh gas at the gas station with my car and 4 big 7 gallon jerry cans I have and I try to only put as much gas as I think I will need in 'boat' and put the rest in my cars if there is any leftover. When I get back from sailing and I'm not sure that I will be going back out within at least a few weeks I siphon out the old gas from the boat - even if it's only a month old, and I pour the old gas into one of my cars.

I always put fresh gas into the tanks on 'boat' before I head out to sea. Nice fresh gas! (No more goopy goo!) :?
BOAT
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Hey Boat, have you tried "Stable" fuel additive, I used to throw out a heap of gas as it went off, I now dose my tank with stable and the fuel lasts for well over 6 months.

Stable is a bit expensive bu compared to all the messing about is great value.

I just took my boat out on 6 month old fuel and the motor ran perfectly just like fresh fuel
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby Ponaldpe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:51 pm

sailboatmike wrote:Hey Boat, have you tried "Stable" fuel additive, I used to throw out a heap of gas as it went off, I now dose my tank with stable and the fuel lasts for well over 6 months.

Stable is a bit expensive bu compared to all the messing about is great value.

I just took my boat out on 6 month old fuel and the motor ran perfectly just like fresh fuel

I just burned year old gas in the generator with Stable . I have been only using ethanol free gas for the boats, mower, generator, welder etc..
Ponaldpe
Engineer

Postby Estate Sail » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:35 am

I also only use ethanol free gas for my boat, mowers and cars/trucks. I never have problems with any equipment using ethanol free gas. With ethanol gas, the ethanol will separate from the gas in 30-45 days. It will gum up all of your equipment. I can't believe we don't have a movement in this country to get rid of ethanol. It is crap.
Estate Sail
Deckhand

Postby Tomfoolery » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 am

Estate Sail wrote:I also only use ethanol free gas for my boat, mowers and cars/trucks. I never have problems with any equipment using ethanol free gas. With ethanol gas, the ethanol will separate from the gas in 30-45 days. It will gum up all of your equipment. I can't believe we don't have a movement in this country to get rid of ethanol. It is crap.

Same here. It's instructive to know that older engines are often not compatible with ethanol, particularly the rubber (as it were) parts. Fuel hoses, perhaps rubber gaskets, the little rubber tip on the needle valve in the float bowl(s) if they're there, and so on. Ethanol also tends to clean the system out, or so I've read, releasing lots of junk into the fuel system, but it's been around so long now that it's probably no longer an issue.

For the small price penalty, I stick with ethanol-free premium in all my small engines, and especially the 1999 Honda OB, which I really don't want to have to do any work on other than routine maintenance. :P
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:55 pm

The problem is old petrol oxidises over time and loses its oomph, my Merc will idle on old fuel but cuts out under load (normally at the worst possible time), Ethanol isnt in our fuel over here, so its not a Ethanol issue.

I have used Stable for a couple of years now and it really does work, it costs about $2 to dose a tank and when I consider the cost of fuel its a huge saving not having to dispose of 15 or 20 liters when it goes off.

I have used fuel thats well over 6 months old and the motor ran perfectly with no power drop off, as my boat lives on the hard stand its not easy to take home my tanks home and use the fuel in the car etc.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Next

Return to Trailers & Towing