New Custom 26X Trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Hamin' X

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5218
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 pm

vkmaynard wrote:He said he has had a number of calls to make trailers for us but could not do it long distance. Too many crazy dimensions. Good thing Billy and I are in the same town with the same trailer issues.
I made a sketch of the :macx: trailer bunks and bow stop sizes, angles, and locations, if that helps them to design one for the :macx: .

User avatar
vkmaynard
Captain
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:02 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A
Contact:

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by vkmaynard » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:28 am

Tomfoolery wrote:
vkmaynard wrote:He said he has had a number of calls to make trailers for us but could not do it long distance. Too many crazy dimensions. Good thing Billy and I are in the same town with the same trailer issues.
I made a sketch of the :macx: trailer bunks and bow stop sizes, angles, and locations, if that helps them to design one for the :macx: .
Do you have those sketches scanned? I'll pass them along incase Triad can also use them since they are making a few more changes now.

Thanks,

Victor

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5218
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 am

vkmaynard wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:
vkmaynard wrote:He said he has had a number of calls to make trailers for us but could not do it long distance. Too many crazy dimensions. Good thing Billy and I are in the same town with the same trailer issues.
I made a sketch of the :macx: trailer bunks and bow stop sizes, angles, and locations, if that helps them to design one for the :macx: .
Do you have those sketches scanned? I'll pass them along incase Triad can also use them since they are making a few more changes now.

Thanks,

Victor
It's an AutoCAD 2018 file, but I can print to a pdf, or save to a dxf or old AutoCAD format, or all of the above, and email them to you. Or whatever you or they might find useful.

I don't have the fenders in there, but I'll add them since they're a near-miss with the hull and need to be accounted for.

User avatar
vkmaynard
Captain
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:02 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A
Contact:

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by vkmaynard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:06 am

Can you email the PDFs?

Just sent you and email with my address.

Thanks,

Victor

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5218
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 am

Sure thing. I got the email. I just need to clean it up a bit, as it was made for my own purposes (scratch sheet basically), but a little tidying up will make it more readable.

paul I
First Officer
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:43 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by paul I » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:04 am

I have the original trailer that came with my :macx: model year 2000. I haven't noticed any problems with it thus far, and I don't do much trailering. But I seem to think I'm going to have to replace it sooner or later. This seems like a decent price compared to the handful of times I have seen pricing. Certainly less than I would pay here to have one made.

So for the original poster: do you think the fabricator will be saving the plans to the point where I could order one out of state and either pick it up or have it shipped?

User avatar
vkmaynard
Captain
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:02 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A
Contact:

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by vkmaynard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:02 pm

paul I wrote:I have the original trailer that came with my :macx: model year 2000. I haven't noticed any problems with it thus far, and I don't do much trailering. But I seem to think I'm going to have to replace it sooner or later. This seems like a decent price compared to the handful of times I have seen pricing. Certainly less than I would pay here to have one made.

So for the original poster: do you think the fabricator will be saving the plans to the point where I could order one out of state and either pick it up or have it shipped?
He has all the dimensions and notes to reproduce it. He also regularly ships trailers. When I was there last, one of his haulers was stacking three units and heading to Florida.

Victor

paul I
First Officer
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:43 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by paul I » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:44 pm

vkmaynard wrote:He has all the dimensions and notes to reproduce it. He also regularly ships trailers. When I was there last, one of his haulers was stacking three units and heading to Florida.

Victor
Nice. Thank you. 8)

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5218
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:11 pm

vkmaynard wrote:Can you email the PDFs?
Trailer drawings sent. :wink:

1st Sail
Captain
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:58 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Moline, IL '06M 50hp Etec
Contact:

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by 1st Sail » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 pm

H ad a great discussion with Triad today. They are in need of either an M trailer or dimensions. I will be measuring my '06 steel trailer and emailing them a dxf file when I am done. If anyone in the Raleigh area is looking for a new trailer they would appreciate having an M trailer for specs. I will spec my trailer length similar to Vic's. Check their web site they have built a lot of custom trailers for sailboat. 30yrs in business.

Danhux
Deckhand
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:38 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Raleigh, NC (2003 26M, Suzuki DF 50)
Contact:

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by Danhux » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:31 pm

I live in Wendell, right outside Raleigh, we have a 2003 26M. It’s the original steel trailer, painted black, tires scrub the hull. If I can help I’d love too, I’d also like to get a new trailer, ours makes me nervous it’s got lots of rust.

1st Sail
Captain
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:58 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Moline, IL '06M 50hp Etec
Contact:

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by 1st Sail » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 pm

I should receive specs and pricing for the 26M next week. Danhux I will pm you the details. Triad was running the final mfg and material costs on Vic's trailer this week. Once that is done they will update me on a 26M trailer. I'm sure they would welcome business from anyone on this site. My M trailer is in excellent condition as I fresh water sail and store in my warehouse. If we had enough individuals willing to commit within a time period there may be some savings due to economy of scale with regards to production.
The specs for my M:
2550lbs oem factory
750lbs trailer
250-300lbs motor
100lbs batteries
150-250lbs accessories
___________
3,800lbs +/-
The '06 26M axle is rated at 4200lbs. All things considered I'm running 80-90% of rated axle capacity like everyone else. I'm not totally comfortable hauling all over the country when I retire end of year.

Danhux
Deckhand
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:38 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Raleigh, NC (2003 26M, Suzuki DF 50)
Contact:

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by Danhux » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks

User avatar
vkmaynard
Captain
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:02 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A
Contact:

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by vkmaynard » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:54 am

Danhux wrote:I live in Wendell, right outside Raleigh, we have a 2003 26M. It’s the original steel trailer, painted black, tires scrub the hull. If I can help I’d love too, I’d also like to get a new trailer, ours makes me nervous it’s got lots of rust.
Perfect. I have a suggestion when my trailer is complete. Bring your 26M to Jordan Lake or Falls Lake and lets try retrieving on the new trailer. Hopefully it will fit close enough and be safe then take it to Triad for them to evaluate. That will allow them to also look at your trailer with no boat like they did with my original trailer.

Victor

User avatar
opie
Captain
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:40 am
Location: Wilmington NC, BF50A Honda, 1999 MacX, "Marin"

Re: New Custom 26X Trailer

Post by opie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi,
Put me down for being interested in a new trailer for my 26X. I have lots of rust on my 2005 LoadRight trailer. And Loadright discontinued my single axle model number and wants me to get a dual axle and I don't want one. So, maybe you can get enough interest for that "economy of scale" thing. Opie
PS - What's the purpose of the ladder at the hitch? It seems too far away from the bow to be useful.

Post Reply