Bow Eye Safety Chain

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Bow Eye Safety Chain

Post by macowneril2015 »

I was wondering if any one made / attached a bow eye safety chain on their trailer? I have a model yr 2000 :macx: trailer and I was unsure how to go about adding the safety chain.
Baha
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Bow Eye Safety Chain

Post by Baha »

I use a rachet strap. Cinch it up nice and tight. Gives me peace of mind.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Post by macowneril2015 »

Baha wrote:I use a rachet strap. Cinch it up nice and tight. Gives me peace of mind.

I have 3 across the whole boat strapping it to the trailer so I will just add one up front to just be sure.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Mine is bolted behind the winch support using one of the winch mounting bolts, which is extra long. The middle link of the chain is simply laid over the bolt onto the nut, and doubled-nutted to keep it from coming off. It's attached to the bow eye using a quick link, which you can sort of see behind the winch hook. The chain is loose, but it's a backup to the winch line.

It looks like it fouls the winch handle, but the chain comes off and lays in the channel before doing anything involving the winch.

And I use a stern strap, from trailer frame rail to trailer frame rail.
tewharaunz
Chief Steward

Post by tewharaunz »

Hi,

Sorry for all of the cobwebs and rust (Summer is well over here in the frozen South). I use a quick-link to the bow eye, a length of chain, and bow shackle that I spread, then tightened around the steel support pipe on the trailer. When it's not attached, it hangs down out of the way.

This link opens the photo in google photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZRXfOGZfBhaw6A5k1

Cheers, David
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I have a strap that goes over the cockpit to the trailer and sometimes add a piece of dock line through the bow eye to the trailer.

--Russ
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Tomfoolery wrote:
This picture pretty much demonstrates the main issue I see with the standard trailer, because the winch is below the bow eye the winch pulls the bow down onto the bow bunk making it very hard to pull the boat up by hand when it drops back.

In my humble opinion the winch post need to be shortened so the winch at very worst pulls straight on the bow eye, pulling slightly up would be better still.

In the yard that we are stored in getting enough speed to do the bump is impossible not helped by the low gearing of the tractor and the lack on concrete for the tyes to grip on.
Javboat
Just Enlisted

Post by Javboat »

I’ve added my safety chain, with Galv turn buckle, to that round support bar just off the winch post with a tight fitting D shackle. The safety chain keeps even pressure on the bow and stops it from working loose.

You may see I’ve swapped my ladder to the other side to allow a new standard winch to be installed (with the rope feeding out unobstructed) as well as the spare wheel. Seems to all work well.

*The standard boat winch in Australia comes with the handle on the right hand side (with the winch mounted upright) so they are all opposite or how the Macgregor trailer is set up.