We're back in business! Got questions?

The more family-friendly room of the Pub. General discussion of topics which don't fit into one of the other fora, not necessarily sailing-related. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: Catigale, Pub Moderators

Forum rules
No politics or religion discussed here. Posts violating this policy may be arbitrarily deleted or moved to the Back Room.
Heath
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: We're back in business! Got questions?

Post by Heath » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:50 pm

Current settings are to allow persistent logins up to 14 days.

Heath

James V
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by James V » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Well, Heath does it again. Setting to Macgregor Sailors has kept my log on ON for several hours. Thanks!!

Paul S
Site Admin
Sailboat: Other

Post by Paul S » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:48 pm

Paul S wrote:
Heath wrote:That's right, that what you should be using.
Paul S wrote: I did seem to fix it though... I have been using 'macgregor26x' instead of 'macgregorsailors' (as it comes up first when I start typing in the URL). Using http://www.macgregorsailors.com seems to be the key.
How long will it keep you logged in for? I had to re-log in just this moment (~4 hours or so), even using macgregorsailors.com
OK... figured this out..

I have better luck staying logged in if I use http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum instead of http://www.macgregorsailors.com

If I go to the domain, leave and come back using just MS.com or use a different tab or window, I have to log in again
If I go to ms.com/forum , I stay logged in

I have been playing with it and it is very repeatable, at least here at work using IE

Heath
Site Admin

Post by Heath » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:10 pm

I always start at the Home page and then use the links to browse to the forum. I know that many people want to just jump straight to the forum, but I wish they wouldn't as my plan is to include the latest news on the home page as a good starting point. This means a listing of the latest posts (already there), the latest mod submissions (already there), upcoming events (to be added soon), newest submissions of (other things under development), latest website news, etc. For this reason I'm hoping that people bookmark the Home page and start there instead of jumping right to the forum. This is how I do it, and it works fine for me, without any cookie or logout issues that I would complain about. If I am logged out, Firefox remembers the username and password anyways, so I just need to hit a button and I'm back in.

Heath

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 pm

I understand and wish it would work if I went to magregorsailors.com directly. But if I do that I have to log in every time I navigate back to the site.

I have tried everything I can with IE. It just doesnt remember me if I go to the home page directly.

The only workaround I see is changing browsers (which I won't do, I like IE, i know there are better ones, but I like it), or going directly to MS.com/forum.

If this is the way it is, thats fine. Just wanted to point out a potential problem that some IE users will encounter.

Paul

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Paul S wrote:I have tried everything I can with IE. It just doesnt remember me if I go to the home page directly...
If this is the way it is, thats fine. Just wanted to point out a potential problem that some IE users will encounter.
Interesting, Paul. I am using IE7 here and I just did an experiment. I completely shut down my browser and reloaded it. up comes my Yahoo home page. Entered macregorsailors.com into the address window and it takes me to the home page of this site. It gives me the option to log-out at the top right. I clicked on forum and it brings me here, still logged in.

One thing that might be going on. When you log in to the forum, do so at the bottom of the forum page and not the top. Be sure to check the auto login box. See what happens.

~Rich

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:22 pm

could be my bad. It could be the ad blocking software I use. I will try and disable it and see how it works. I just did a quick test and it appears to work OK. I will keep trying it with it disabled and see how it goes

James V
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by James V » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:34 am

3 things -

Make sure you are going straight to Macgregorsailors.com and NOT macgregor26x.com

Your web pages are being refreshed evertime you visit a site.

You accept cookies.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:18 am

James V wrote:3 things -

Make sure you are going straight to Macgregorsailors.com and NOT macgregor26x.com

Your web pages are being refreshed evertime you visit a site.

You accept cookies.
yup understand. But none of that worked until I disabled my ad-blocking software. thats what worked in my case..so far so good. Just need to add an exception for MS.com and I should be good to go.

Heath
Site Admin

Post by Heath » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 am

I tried again today. Computer completely shut down. Linux, Firefox. Started browser, went to home page, already logged in as Rich says, used Forum link to go to forum. Also, Rich makes a good point about logging in to the forum using the Forum login page, not the form at the top (which is still experimental - did I mention that?!)

I assume that ad-blocking software will tell browser to refuse cookies from my website. Cookies are stored on your computer to provide automatic login between times visiting the website. Once you log in, if you are refusing cookies, "sessions" are used instead which will work while you are browsing the forum, but you will lose the session ID once you browse away from the forum. Sounds like the problem you are having. Haven't we said many times that cookies should be enabled?

Heath
Hamin' X wrote: Interesting, Paul. I am using IE7 here and I just did an experiment. I completely shut down my browser and reloaded it. up comes my Yahoo home page. Entered macregorsailors.com into the address window and it takes me to the home page of this site. It gives me the option to log-out at the top right. I clicked on forum and it brings me here, still logged in.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:01 pm

Heath wrote:I tried again today. Computer completely shut down. Linux, Firefox. Started browser, went to home page, already logged in as Rich says, used Forum link to go to forum. Also, Rich makes a good point about logging in to the forum using the Forum login page, not the form at the top (which is still experimental - did I mention that?!)

I assume that ad-blocking software will tell browser to refuse cookies from my website. Cookies are stored on your computer to provide automatic login between times visiting the website. Once you log in, if you are refusing cookies, "sessions" are used instead which will work while you are browsing the forum, but you will lose the session ID once you browse away from the forum. Sounds like the problem you are having. Haven't we said many times that cookies should be enabled?

Heath
Hamin' X wrote: Interesting, Paul. I am using IE7 here and I just did an experiment. I completely shut down my browser and reloaded it. up comes my Yahoo home page. Entered macregorsailors.com into the address window and it takes me to the home page of this site. It gives me the option to log-out at the top right. I clicked on forum and it brings me here, still logged in.
The software I use defaults to save cookies (I am using the default). This is the only site that causes it some problems. It worked fine on the old version, and every other webpage I have ever visited. No biggie, I can just create an exception in the program. Still seems to be working fine.

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:39 am

Hi guys, I've been off the board for a few months and returned to see the new board. It looks very nice and renovated, but one function I can not seem to find anymore is view prev/next message topic within an index. Am I just blind or is that different than the old board?

Now it seems like I always have to return to the forum index to see the next or previous thread where as I used to be able to go to the last unread topic in a forum and then just keep hitting next (or was it prev from that point, I can't remember) until I had gone through all unread topics.

Hamin' X
Site Admin

Post by Hamin' X » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:02 am

When at the Board Index page, look for this:
"View unanswered posts • View new posts • View active topics"
near the top left. • View new posts • is what you are looking for. You can click on the: "Board Index" link at the bottom of most pages to return to the Index.

When on the New Posts page, the threads that you have not read will have an orange square next to them and the circle on the left will be red. If you click on the orange square, it will take you to the last unread post in that topic.

The way that I do it is, read the topic, then hit backspace to return to the New Posts page.

Welcome back,
~Rich

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:11 pm

Yea, I know what you mean about that method of looking at new posts, I navigate that way too sometimes. That also combines all new messages from all forums. But what I meant is when you are just in one forum and you want to do next/prev through the topics in that forum. All I see is the next/prev post within a topic and I could swear that you used to also be able to next/prev the topics in a forum too. Did that feature go away or is it someplace I can't see?

Hamin' X
Site Admin

Post by Hamin' X » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:23 pm

I guess it's gone. It is not a feature that I ever used, so I paid no attention. I went to the Lifeboat which uses similar software to the old board here and there was the feature. How 'bout that. Didn't even know it was there. Perhaps there is a mod that Heath can install here to invoke that feature, but don't hold your breath. He's a pretty busy fellow.

~Rich