Cookie/Logout Issues

The more family-friendly room of the Pub. General discussion of topics which don't fit into one of the other fora, not necessarily sailing-related. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: Catigale, Pub Moderators

Forum rules
No politics or religion discussed here. Posts violating this policy may be arbitrarily deleted or moved to the Back Room.
2BonC
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Cookie/Logout Issues

Post by 2BonC » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:18 am

hi Heath,
this is my first entry at the Sailor Pages. I have been watching them for a longer period of time and have stolen many ideas from the other members to improve my 26x. I want to thank You for this very usefull pages and I like it in it´s new outfit. However I think I encountered a minor software problem. If I l´m logged in and I return from e.g. the discussion pages back to "home" or "introduction" I´m locked out again even I´ve market ´lock me in automaticly´.

Heath
Site Admin

Re: Cookie/Logout Issues

Post by Heath » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:14 am

Please check that you are accepting cookies from this website. If you are, then you should have no problem navigating away from the board and back to it. If not, then I expect that you will have problems like you describe.

Heath

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:34 am

Actually, Heath, in Firefox I've got mine set for 'accept cookies' and I have the same problem... maybe this is a brower-specific problem?

WD
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: St Paul, Alberta, Canada 170 REINELL - Looking for a 26X mast ;)

Post by WD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Heath,

First thanks for all your efforts running this website!

i have a similar issue although a bit of a twist, i can loggon just fine from my work machine(as i am now) but from my home machine i cannot even find the website >

http://macgregorsailors.com/

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

I had that url bookmarked and i used it often before you did the upgrade with no problem at all. i have cleared all cookies etc etc (ccleaner, which i highly recommend) and i have set internet options security back to default and still nadda. i cannot for the life of me imagine what the issue might be, other than say a banned IP but i doubt that because i get the same result using an anonymity redirect site?

anyway, such is my plight and if you have any insight i would much appreciate.

Cheers, Bill

Heath
Site Admin

Post by Heath » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:36 pm

Kevin,

What website domain are you using? It should be www.macgregorsailors.com. Others will maybe still work, but you might have cookie issues.
kmclemore wrote:Actually, Heath, in Firefox I've got mine set for 'accept cookies' and I have the same problem... maybe this is a brower-specific problem?

Heath
Site Admin

Post by Heath » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Bill,

The issue on your home computer is that we have moved IP address and your home system is caching the old IP address instead of looking up the new one. You need to flush your DNS cache. One easy way to do this is to reboot your router. If that doesn't work, you may be running DNS caching software on your computer, and you will need to flush that for it to work.

Heath
WD wrote:Hi Heath,

i have a similar issue although a bit of a twist, i can loggon just fine from my work machine(as i am now) but from my home machine i cannot even find the website >

Most likely causes:

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

I had that url bookmarked and i used it often before you did the upgrade with no problem at all. i have cleared all cookies etc etc (ccleaner, which i highly recommend) and i have set internet options security back to default and still nadda. i cannot for the life of me imagine what the issue might be, other than say a banned IP but i doubt that because i get the same result using an anonymity redirect site?

Cheers, Bill

Sleepy
Chief Steward

Post by Sleepy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:41 pm

I know on my PC using Internet Explorer and having the privacy setting set any higher than "medium high" I will not pass cookies for logon or for tracking already viewed threads. :wink:

WD
Chief Steward

Post by WD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:46 pm

thanks a bunch Heath, will reboot router soon as get home and report back. don't have a clue how to manually flush DNS cached on local machine (Windows XP Pro). learned something today, i didn't realize that either 'cached' DNS, interesting.

Cheers, Bill

PS well i'll be darned!! start - run - cmd - ipconfig/flushdns

but no luck {:~( so will have to reboot router when home

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:13 pm

In Microsoft Windows, you can use IPCONFIG to flush the DNS cache.

Go to Start -> Run and type in CMD and hit enter.

Now type:
  • C:\>ipconfig /flushdns
and you should receive a response like:
  • Windows IP Configuration
    Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
If you want, you can display the DNS cache by typing:
  • C:\>ipconfig /displaydns
Cheers,
Kevin
Heath wrote:Bill,

The issue on your home computer is that we have moved IP address and your home system is caching the old IP address instead of looking up the new one. You need to flush your DNS cache. One easy way to do this is to reboot your router. If that doesn't work, you may be running DNS caching software on your computer, and you will need to flush that for it to work.

Heath
WD wrote:Hi Heath,

Most likely causes:

What you can try:

Retype the address.

Cheers, Bill

WD
Chief Steward

Post by WD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:20 pm

thank you mclemore :) i had found that(google) and gave it a shot then edited my post, but appreciate your response :)

i tried it and it didn't seem to fix the issue, perhaps i need to reboot the machine after or like Heath said reboot the router. i did the dns flush logged on XP remote so i won't know the rest til i get home tonight. will report back the results.

Cheers, Bill

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:01 pm

Sleepy wrote:I know on my PC using Internet Explorer and having the privacy setting set any higher than "medium high" I will not pass cookies for logon or for tracking already viewed threads. :wink:
For IE 7 Go to Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Sites

Enter the website that you want to override cookie control; in this case: http://macgregorsailors.com/

Then click Allow. This will allow all cookies from the site that you entered, regardless of the security settings.

Rich---Hamin' X---N7ZH

WD
Chief Steward

Post by WD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:30 pm

Ratzzzzzzzzzz, reboot router, flush dns local machine and nadda :( grrrrrr

k, think i've tried everything. tried a different machine here and same issue. i think at this point i am going to send email to my ISP and make sure site is not blocked for some reason, it would nto be the first time i have had issues on home IP(dynamic) but not on office IP(static) and had them resolve it.

Cheers, };~)

Uncle Jim
Engineer

Post by Uncle Jim » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:07 pm

WD wrote:Ratzzzzzzzzzz, reboot router, flush dns local machine and nadda :( grrrrrr

k, think i've tried everything. tried a different machine here and same issue. i think at this point i am going to send email to my ISP and make sure site is not blocked for some reason, it would nto be the first time i have had issues on home IP(dynamic) but not on office IP(static) and had them resolve it.

Cheers, };~)
Bill,
I had the same issues, I could log on with the company laptop using a wifi card but when logged on to my home network it was a no go.

Here's what I ended up doing. Close all open windows, disconnected the cable modem, flushed the dns as mentioned, rebooted the router, navigate to the router IP aderss and run the setup software, there was a setting for releasing IP and renewing IP adresses. once I released the IP address I plugged the modem back in and renewed the IP. My ISP uses dynamic IP address and once I received a new address the issue was resolved.

Hope this helps
Uncle Jim

WD
Chief Steward

Post by WD » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks Jim,

Same deal here with IP's, my home one is dynamic and i've done all you have mentioned except there is one issue. When i release and renew DHCP on router here it is coming back with the same IP. Obviously the whole issue has something to do with my isp and i suspect those of others who are having this issue, and how their ISP's are handling DNS on particular dynamic IP's. I am currently logged on from home using anaonymouse.org so obviously it is all an IP driven issue. I am going to release IP tonight and shut down router and renew it tomorrow AM and hopefully obtain a new IP, and will report the result here if i do obtain a new one.

Cheers, Bill };~)

PS. no joy, no new IP in the AM renewed to same old. Sent ISP manager an email outlining the issue, expect will hear back shortly, however going camping for a few days - back friday so will post note then if there is a change in status.

Cheers

James V
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by James V » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:02 am

OK, I got it to work.

I created a new "favorite" for the forum page and I am logged on when I open. The "Favorite" for the Home page does not log me on but the "Favorite" for the forum page does. DUH?????

On edit - it do not last for 3 hrs, opened the site and I had to log on.

Using - www.macgregor26x.com/forum
Last edited by James V on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.