Trailer

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

bartmac
Captain

Re: Trailer

Post by bartmac » Mon May 31, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi all,I had no problem buying 2 alloy powder coated wheels rated very clearly @ 1400kgs c/w LT225R15 70 tyres rated @ 1120kgs which would satisfy the requirements of this task....although I haven't put our rig on a weigh bridge loaded yet....given the trailer is limited to 2000kgs in its current form ie single axle,hydraulic overide brakes but towed by a Ford transit long wheel base truck c/w stability & traction control and ABS.We have in the past towed larger and heavier boats behind far inferior vehicles but using vacuum trailer brakes and been able to stop without a drama in simulated emergency conditions.....but the real world....well. I think our plan for a extended around Australia explore of both land and water will require a rethink and a dual axle beefed up trailer for peace of mind.Having sand blasted , modified,strenghtened,and coated with numerous POR15 coatings a 10 year old X trailer that project will have to wait for more important jobs.........the finishing of the Mac X to our requirements and the on set of warmer weather so the foreign hand will sanction the 2 or 3 week Myall lake holiday followed by Hervey bay over Xmas and well into Jan 2011