First sail and a week on board

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

First sail and a week on board

Post by sunshinecoasting »

I have just spent 7 days living on board my new :macx: over Easter and had a ball.

I learnt an awful lot, not just about sailing but about my new boat too, I also learnt not to take wife sailing first day out in 1.5 meter swell, may have put her off yacht for quite some time. Me on the other hand, I soaked it up. I had 5 perfect days of light 8-10 knot breezes mostly ESE which is perfect for Sunshine Coast, gives you a broad reach most of the time, had a good opportunity for downwind run and learnt a lot about Jibing, intentional and accidental!! These boats are truly amazing, they sail well and are very forgiving, I have never sailed before and took the boat out on my own three times with no issues, however what I really enjoyed was raising the rudders, dumping the ballast and powering back to the river at 15 knots, nearly had a guy fall off his jetski with surprise as I shot by him in the opposite direction. I stayed in the Mooloolaba marina (which I can now recommend) and found the local yachty residents quite nice to me about the Mac, in fact quite inquisitive and very helpful with sailing tips etc. So, sailing details, 10 knot breeze and I was 4.8 GPS knots in a broad reach and about 4 knots in a downwind run with both sails up (see photo below). Lifting one rudder from the water definitely improves your speed and lifting the centre board as well in a downwind run improved it yet again. Front windows leak in rain around screws so any tips on weather proofing appreciated. I can't wait until next long weekend now. Cheers, Dennis.

Anchored in mouth of Mooloolaba river for a swim.

Downwind run, Old Woman Island dead ahead.
bartmac
Captain

Re: First sail and a week on board

Post by bartmac »

Leaks....well there's a few on a Mac... front windows is just one (chainplates are the other ones)...found just gooping the screw worked for a little while but now realise the Perspex? has to come out.Planning to get new tinted Lexan in there a bit thicker as the whole area gets walked on and could do with reinforcing
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting »

Yes I suspect that at least one of the leaks was coming from the side of the perspex itself and not just a screw. I'll see what wonderful marine grade goop Whitworths have and remove the screws one by one and seal them. I will look at the chainplates as well, I did get fresh bilge water but only about 1 bucket full after 24 hours of rain but it came from somewhere well hidden and needs to be addressed before the mould sets in. Good to note though that after 7 days in salt water the bilge was all fresh water (taste tested), not one hull leak.

Cheers, Dennis.
bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac »

Taste test is the one...ours is always fresh and no matter how hard I try I don't appear to be able to stop leaks completely. Another one is the steering binnacle/floor attachment points which obviously get a bit of a work out by the main sheet (not counting gybes of course) :cry: :wink: