Antifoul Paint

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
igooba
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Antifoul Paint

Post by igooba »

Hi Everyone,
Sorry if this is a silly question, I imported a boat from America and for the first time will be putting it on a mooring in Syd harbour this summer. I have not had a boat before so not sure if it already has antifoul paint on it. In America it was in the water in a dock. Are you able to tell from the picture below? Would my 26m usually come with a white bottom colour and the antifoul paint is black?

Thanks
Peter

cruiser
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S
Location: Brisbane, Australia. "Myuna" Macgregor 26S, 8HP Nissan outboard

Re: Antifoul Paint

Post by cruiser »

Yes that is antifoul paint on it. Most antifoul is black but can also get. blue, white and other colours (I think). Needs to be re-done before permanently being moored.

Here is a good rundown on doing one from scratch (ie. had not been painted before): http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... de-39.html
igooba
Deckhand

Post by igooba »

Thanks for the quick reply, that link was great, it is awesome how detailed some people are.
Do you know if can just sand back the current paint for adhesion and re-apply rather than going back to the base white?
cruiser
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S
Location: Brisbane, Australia. "Myuna" Macgregor 26S, 8HP Nissan outboard

Post by cruiser »

igooba wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, that link was great, it is awesome how detailed some people are.
Do you know if can just sand back the current paint for adhesion and re-apply rather than going back to the base white?
Always a difficult decision. The important issues is to know that an epoxy undercoat was used prior to applying the previous paint. Polyester gelcoat is not waterproof and hence an epoxy undercoat is used to seal the fibreglass before applying antifouling.

I have not done my boat yet but when I do I think I will take off all the antifoul paint and start with and epoxy sealer first. May even get someone else to do it I think - will have to think that one through.
igooba
Deckhand

Post by igooba »

thanks for your help, I will get some quotes on the sodablasting and getting done professionally vrs myself and will take it from there.
Relackson
Deckhand

Post by Relackson »

I strongly agree with cruiser - if you are going to leave your Mac in the water for 2+ months (probably even less), YOU MUST EPOXY THE BOTTOM !!!!

A couple of summers ago I had my Mac in a marina on Western Port Bay for 5 months. Had occasional checks/cleans for sealife on the bottom - was using a lanolin for 'antifoul' - not really successful. When I had a look after about 5 months, I could see a number of blisters happening. This is a common issue with the Macs - search 'blisters' on this forum and you'll find heaps of mentions.

I spent the winter drilling into the few hundred holes, ensuring they were dry, and then filling them with epoxy. Then I applied about 6 coats of International Interprotect epoxy and 2 coats of International Ultra antifoul.

Again, had the Mac in the water for about 5 months this last summer -> bloody bewdy, bottom was fantastic: not a blister to be seen; and not even a hint of any sealife on the boat AFTER 5 MONTHS. Apart from a slight green tinge at and below the waterline, the bottom looked as good as when I launched it 5 months earlier.

YOU SHOULD EPOXY THE BOTTOM before applying any antifoul. A bit of work; but I'm so grateful I've done it.

Good luck - and happy sailing

Stan
igooba
Deckhand

Post by igooba »

Thanks Stan