fibre glass snow

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
DaveJock26M
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

fibre glass snow

Post by DaveJock26M »

Hi all,
After crossing the Nullabor last week, I took to getting the E's Too :macm: back to sailing condition. I noticed there was a lot of fine fibre glass dust all over the cabin. Anyone else found this after a long trailer trip? Must be original construction dust because I'm a little anal about vacuuming up the dust any time I drill a hole
It took me 3 hours to vacuum all the nooks & crannies & bilges.
Hope to get her out on Cockburn Sound this week end.
DaveJ
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Re: fibre glass snow

Post by sunshinecoasting »

If I was a betting man I would wager that it was dust from the polystyrene blocks rubbing on each other through vibration. Just my guess though. Cheers, Dennis.
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

It is almost certainly fibrglass dust. I have not experienced this problem myself, but others on the forum certainly have. Have a real good look around your boat in the out of the way places and you will find fibreglass dust left over from the manufacturing process. Unfortunately old Roger liked to cut a few corners, and cleaning up the finished boats before selling them was certainly one of them :wink: I imagine there is a heap under the liner.

I reckon the Nullabor should have cleaned most of it out though :wink:
Sea Cave

Post by Sea Cave »

I took delivery of a 1 year old 26M a couple of months ago. It was trailered to Perth from Queensland and experienced exactly the same as you described. I put it down to fibreglass shavings retained behind the liner shaking loose.