Change direction of furler?

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Excatman
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Change direction of furler?

Post by Excatman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:28 am

Hey guys,

There's probably an incredibly simple answer to this, but I'm buggered if i can work it out. :|

When I furl up my headsail, the sacrificial edges are on the inside, so I was wondering if it is possible to change the rotational direction of the furler so they are on the outside and actually do their job.

Any suggestions would be most welcome...as would good natured ribbing about the simplicity of the fix if that is so...

Cheers
Excat

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Change direction of furler?

Post by NiceAft » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:29 am

I believe that if you unfurl all the way (until the rope is completely unwound), and then re-furl (is that a word?) by hand in the direction you wish, all will be fine. As long as there is wound rope on the drum when the sail is unfurled, the furler should perform as you want it too,

Ray

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 am

I concur with that. :)

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:40 pm

I was going to suggest that but thought "that's just too simple"

Excatman
Just Enlisted

Post by Excatman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:12 am

Turns out it is indeed just that simple...thanks fellas 8) did it this arvo at the marina after an awesome sail to the bottom of Moreton Bay and back to Cabbage Tree Point.

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:02 pm

Hey Excatman,

I saw a nice looking Mac (dodger and bimini/infill) heading north under iron Genny, past the Cabbage tree point ramp yesterday morning, maybe 10 or 11ish. Might have been you then :) I was on the beach with my son launching our kayaks.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Sailing, launching kayaks from a beach; how wonderful :)

This was the scene from my son's kitchen window last Thursday. We were visiting. He and his family live outside Utica, NY.

Ray

Excatman
Just Enlisted

Post by Excatman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Mac26Mpaul wrote:Hey Excatman,

I saw a nice looking Mac (dodger and bimini/infill) heading north under iron Genny, past the Cabbage tree point ramp yesterday morning, maybe 10 or 11ish. Might have been you then :) I was on the beach with my son launching our kayaks.
Yeah wasn't me, that was Capricorn Dancer (a :macm:), I was the one in the :macx: about 9.30 under sail (I don't use the Iron Genny much) - I was also the one floundering around in the mud just out of the Horizon Shores marina entry after having run aground - forgot to put the centreboard down sailing to windward - DOH! :(

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:26 pm

oh yeah, didn't notice the X icon....

Don't use the iron genny? you havn't got young kids then.. Sailing is the one I don't get to do much of :(

Yeah I have put my board in the mud a bit around here :wink:

Ray, we launch kayaks and sail year round here :P 8) Yeah, we have seen your crazy weather on the news. That stuff sure does look cold :!:

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Mac26Mpaul wrote:oh yeah, didn't notice the X icon....

Don't use the iron genny? you havn't got young kids then.. Sailing is the one I don't get to do much of :( :D

Ray, we launch kayaks and sail year round here :P 8) Yeah, we have seen your crazy weather on the news. That stuff sure does look cold :!:

“Does look cold”
Ya think :?: :D

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Mac26Mpaul wrote:oh yeah, didn't notice the X icon....
Don't use the iron genny? you havn't got young kids then.. Sailing is the one I don't get to do much of :(
Never mind, I've been looking at your maximum temps. Holy smokes!
(Kids and Iron Genny - that's priceless!) :D
R.