Danube from Bavaria to the Black Sea

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Europeans
2BonC
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Danube from Bavaria to the Black Sea

Post by 2BonC »

We (a former kolleg and me , both retired) are planning in 2009 a trip down the Danube from GE/Bavaria/Kehlheim to the Black Sea . I´m living about 30km apart from the planned start point Kehlheim.
The total distance will be 2440km (about 1300 NM). We estimate that the reqired time for traveling and sightseeing will be somewhat between two and three month (about 30 days for motoring/sailing).
Beside Germany we will touch the following countries: Austria, Hungaria, Slowenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria and Rumania, all except Serbia and Croatia are now members of the EU. We are planning to start in early May 2009.

If there is somebody who would like to join us on his own Mac for this trip I would be glad to share my preparations with him and give him any assistance required to launch his boat and leave his car and trailer on a secured place for the period of time required for this trip.

This is posted in the European Group because I cannot imagine how an Australian or an American can come to Kehlheim with his MG.
By the way does anybody know from a MG crossing the Atlantic in either direction?

Rainer
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Danube from Bavaria to the Black Sea

Post by NiceAft »

2BonC,

Your trip sounds like it actually will be a great adventure. 8) Whenever it does begin, be sure to document it with many photographs. This board would be eager to see them.

Ray
2BonC
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by 2BonC »

I would be glad to be the first doing this trip (perhaps I might be the first doing this with a :macx: :) )however other" boatpeople" have done this before and published beautiful pictures. Here are two webpages reflecting their trip to the Black Sea. Also they are in German language looking at the pictures by itself will give You an impression of the river.

http://www.donauurlaub.de/
http://www.umwege.de/

have fun

rainer
bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock »

good luck with the trip,please make plenty of posts on your observations.

i have "dreamed" about doing a trip down the east coast of the UK,crosing the channel and entering the French river system and coming out on the Med.Then to hog the Italian coast line or cross Italy and head to Croatia,down to Greece and then up to Bulgaria and to enter the Russian river system at the port of Azimov

One thing that i did consider was to fit a second smaller engine to my 26x,something a lot more frugal than the 50hp maybee a 9.9 hp and aim to burn a liter an hour and when the wind is with you,sail down through the river system