MUCK-About Sail

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
TFlight
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

MUCK-About Sail

Post by TFlight »

:!: ANY INTEREST IN THE 3rd ANNUAL MUCKA ? JULY 2013 :!: :D Last update 1/10/2014

8) :D MUCK-About (MacGregor Upper Chesapeake Kick-About) :D 8)

:D 11 Boats signed up for 2013
:!: Also see the post 1/13/2013 around page 4
:D The 2nd Annual 3day MUCK-About is almost here, Friday July 12th to 14th 2013. :!:
:!: I tried to condense all the information into this first post. There is good information and pictures from last year throughout this thread.

:!: MAKE YOUR RESERVATION AT THE SAIL EMPORIUM for Saturday July 13, 2013 with the MUCKAbout group. (Tony) http://www.sailingemporium.com/transient.php (410) 778-1342.

Come join the fun as we MUCK-About the Upper Chesapeake!
Plan on an enjoyable easygoing muck about in the Upper Chesapeake Bay while meeting some of your MacGregor & other boat enthusiast, all are welcome. The main body will launch from Sandy Point State Park just 6 miles north of Annapolis. Sail past the impressive 4.3 mile 186ft clearance Bay Bridge. In 1952 the bridge opened to traffic as both the longest continuous over-water steel structure and third longest bridge in the world. Sail past a few light houses and the entrance to the Baltimore Inner Harbor were Francis Scott Key wrote the lyrics to the United States' national anthem. Arrive Friday around 5pm at Hart Miller Island, Chesapeake Bay, MD for a beach cookout (BYOB/FOOD & potluck) and overnight. You can anchor or beach there. Saturday Set sail for the historic town of Rock Hall, MD.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Hall,_Maryland Plan to dock up at THE SAIL EMPORIUM MARINA and most likely have a pool side cookout supplied by a local grocery store. Sunday return across the Bay to Sandy Point to recover or continue to play.

When: Friday the 12th of July 2013 Plan to set sail around at 12:00pm and returning Sunday around 3pm.

Where: Sandy Point State Park 1100 East College Parkway Annapolis, Maryland‎ 21409
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/ ... ypoint.asp
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12273.shtml

Itinerary:
The plan at this point is Route 1
8)
Route 1 Sandy Pt. State Prk - Hart Miller Island - Rock Hall - SPSP:
Friday: Set sail from Sandy Point State Park (SPSP) 12:00 hrs sharp, North to Hart Miller Island (HMI) 17Nm, arrive around 5pm . You will find a sandy bottom with good anchorage or beaching and cookout party (BYOB/Food & potluck) on the island. Bring your own meal and if you like, a dish, drink, snack or dessert to share.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/naturalresou ... iller.html

Saturday: Sail Southeast across the Chesapeake to Rock Hall (RH) 16Nm, Sail Emporium Marina ($2/ft, $8/elc) 13Nmi. Get tied-up, cleaned-up, and restaurant or :idea: a few of us will make a quick trip to local grocery store for pitch-in barbecue/cookout back at the pool. :idea: Rock Hall is a quaint little fishing town with port history dating back to 1707. http://www.rockhallmd.com/
We stayed at North Point Marina last year 2012, lets try Sail Emporium Marina this year & it's pet friendly :D too.2013.http://www.sailingemporium.com/transient.php

Sunday: cross the Bay SW back to SPSP 13nm. Total 46Nm 8)

Photobucket link info pictures
http://s1100.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... out%20info

Note: If sailors show early on Friday or have time on Sunday maybe we can make a pass by Dobbins Island (7Nmi NE of SPSP) located up the Magothy River. This is also a good location if the weather or winds are strong on the Bay. Also Annapolis harbor is just 6Nm miles south of Sandy Point.

If you plan on arriving Thursday at SPSP; the Park Ranger told me you can not sleep on your boat in the parking lot :( . You can park your vehicle & trailer overnights but fill out and display the yellow hang-tag found near the ramp & restrooms and leave the stub in the box or snack shop.

:idea: If arriving Thursday and thinking of seeing the Baltimore Inner Harbor or want a closer sail to HMI.....
Last year I called my marina, White Rocks Marina (WRM) http://whiterocksmarina.com/
located at 1402 Colony Rd Pasadena, MD 21122
They have room for several boats n trailers, you can park on the gravel boatyard long term parking area, Launch for $25 and slip $1.00 / Ft. If you think you might like this option let me know, I think they told me they would make a deal for our group and only charge one night and no ramp fee for the weekend. The bathrooms and showers are new and clean. Also a brand new deck restaurant bar called Mikes Crab House North right at the pier. If interested let me know I'll check to see if it's still okay with the Marina.
From White Rocks Marina to Bal Inner Harbor and back out is about 10miles. WRM to HMI on Friday is 9 miles. WRM to Sandy Point if you want to meet up with other MUCKers it's 17 mi south.

If you would like to join us please message me so we can plan for dock space and add you to the list.

:!: At Hart Miller Island: We'll try and get the same spot as last year, first come first serve so grab some tables and spread out for the late comers. Copy and paste these coordinates 39.25235, -76.37429 in Google Maps search window for green arrow location.

There are 11 campsites on the Islands waters edge. There are 6 campsites on the northwest and 5 sites on the southwest side of the Island.

These sites are on a first come basis so if anyone is starting from the Middle River area or would like to get there early we could use some squatters to reserve some spots for our party. Ranger Bob will be coming by around sunset to collect $6 cash per site. I’m sure we can collect that much from our MUCKers. p.s. last year he didn't show up.

8) The northwest sites have fire ring and picnic tables, large beach and close to the restrooms. This is where we want to be. (coordinates 39.25235, -76.37429 :) He also said you can get between the rock breakwater and it’s hard sand between them. If we want to beach we can do that too but be aware of the tide and wind effect on the tides. In addition he mentioned the current can sometimes be strong but I haven’t experienced that before, maybe he was talking about the south entrance channel.

The other 5 campsites are on the southwest side of the Island near a small pier you will notice on Google Maps (paste 39.24908, -76.38365 see green arrow). This end of the Island might be more privet but the beach is not very deep it is long enough though and no toilets.

The MD State DNR has a carry in carry out policy no trashcans on site. Please leave it cleaner then you found it. He also said no alcohol is allowed on the island. Use your discretion there; I will probably have fermented grapes in a cup. P.S. this was not a problem last year, be sensible and preferably no glass.

After talking to Ranger Bob it sounds like the northwest side with the large beach and restrooms is the place to be.
39.25235, -76.37429

Alternate Routes:
Route 2 Dobbins / Easter Neck Island:
Friday Sandy Point to Dobbins Island 7nm anchor overnight, cookout or save it for Saturday night. Saturday sail to Easter Neck Island 18nm or the Chester River, it's the same area for a cookout and anchorage small beach. Sunday sail back to Sandy Point 15nm. Total 40Nm

Route 3 Baltimore Inner Harbor: Set sail from Sandy Point Friday for White Rocks Marina 15Nm over night party at Mike's Restaurant deck and bar at the marina. Saturday morning sail / motor to the Baltimore Inner Harbor 11Nm in, and A) back out again to Fort Small Wood Park 10Nm for anchor Saturday night or White Rocks Marina again +2Nm from Ft Small Wood Park. B) Spend Saturday night at the Inner Harbor then sail back Sunday to Sandy Point 21Nm. C) Leave Inner Harbor for Heart Mill Island 16Nm = 27Nm for the day. Sunday back to Sandy point 16Nm. A) Total 51Nm B) Total 47 C) Total 58

Tony :macm: TFlight, D'Lei
Last edited by TFlight on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:03 am, edited 27 times in total.
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: MUCK-About Sail

Post by K9Kampers »

Tony-

That sounds really interesting! I'll have to work out time / travel logistics and let you know if I can make it. I'm organizing a club rendezvous for the weekend following on Casco Bay, Maine.
TFlight
Engineer

Post by TFlight »

MUCK-About
July sailing weekend condensed in first post.
Information is contained in an earlier post but I don't know how to delete this, only edit it. :?:
Last edited by TFlight on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.
TFlight
Engineer

Post by TFlight »

MUCK-About
July sailing weekend condensed in first post.
Information is contained in an earlier post but I don't know how to delete this, only edit it. :?:
Last edited by TFlight on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
swampcreek
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by swampcreek »

We'll probably be starting later in the afternoon but the Heart/Miller trip sounds great as long as nothing pops up in our train wreck of a schedule! We'll be leaving from White Rocks Marina as soon as my Wife arrives at the boat from work. I'll make sure I'll be on the boat waiting. If for some reason the sail plan turns to Baltimore inner harbor we'll probably pass, we have many friends who like going there and we wish them well when they go but the city really doesn't do anything for us.
TFlight
Engineer

Post by TFlight »

Swampcreek,
Right now it is planned to be the Hart Miller route. I'm glad you can make it. :D I put you on the roster for arriving at HMI around 17:00.
Tony
swampcreek
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by swampcreek »

17:00 sounds good (Maybe earlier), my Wife won't be released from work until then so unless she can change things I'm probably leaving her behind coming alone. BUT my cousin lives on the mainland so when she arrives it's just a 10 minute diddy bop over to pick her up (2minutes in those powersailers).

About cook out material, I might bring some deer burgers for those who like healthy meat without all the fat and growth hormones, of course I'm having a party in a few weeks and we'll probably tear into my supply a good bit, we'll see. Don't get me wrong I'm a card carrying meat eater but it's nice to be guilt free once in a while.
TFlight
Engineer

Post by TFlight »

Hey MUCKers, Update 6/1/12

Here is the 6/1/12 update for the MUCKAbout Sail weekend starting Friday July 13th 2012. It looks like 9 boats so far.
I went out to Hart Miller Island and by Pleasure Island on Memorial Day Sunday. I have posted pictures with good information on Photobucket. Please read the description below each photo for additional information.
Link for photos and info:
Photobucket link
http://s1100.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... out%20info

For Hart Miller Island, although the bottom is mostly soft sand I would recommend water shoes and bug repellant. The Island is Trash Free so trash in trash out. There should be plenty of driftwood for fires and you are not allowed to bring any wood to the island but you can use charcoal. I figure we need to commandeer at lest two or three campsites for tables and fire rings. The bathhouse is nothing much. About 8 stalls and 3 sinks. No running water, electric, or trash.

Chris,
Bruce is also planning on going direct to HMI from our marina at White Rocks so may be you two can hook up to find a good spot on the Island.

Don't delay (D'Lei) getting your slip reservation at TBD

It would be nice if we could all contribute a dish, fruit, veggie, snack or drink to our cookout. I know I still have to decide on this myself.

If you have any updates to the Roster emailed, (Ph#, contributions, ETA,) feel free to edit it and change the update date then send it out or send it to me and I'll update it.

Tony

Subject: RE: MUCKAbout Sailing roster update 6/1/12
Roster formatted
Crew Vessel
1 Tony, Angela D'Lei
2 Jim King Konig
3 Pedro, Rose Sea wind
4 Victor,Kendall M Compromise
5 Erik & Jean Knot Shore
6 Ben M
7 Rick W Bossa Nova
8 Chris B
9 Bruce,Leslie Nauti Time

Also, each captain needs to call the marina for the reservation, just say that it is for the Macgregor group. The fee is $2.25 per foot plus $6 for power if needed, could not get a group discount, we might be in bigger slips but only charged by the length of our boats. The name of the marina is North Point Marina for Saturday July 14th. the phone number is 410-639-2907

Tony TFlight
Last edited by TFlight on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TFlight
Engineer

Post by TFlight »

The MUCKAbout ( MacGregor Upper Chesapeake Kick About) is less then a month away, July 13th. Make you slip reservation at North Point Marina in Rock Hall.
vkmaynard
Admiral
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard »

Made our reservation at North Point Marina today. I gave them the bits and pieces of boats and names off the list here to see who has called in and if they can try to keep us together.

Victor
c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king »

I have my reservation. DJ (my sailing buddy that was at the JMGT last year) may tag along on this trip...he's gotta get a kitchen-pass from his wife.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Cheers,
Jim
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

So far only 4 boats have signed up for the Marina, Jim, Tony, Pedro and us.

Victor
TFlight
Engineer

Post by TFlight »

vkmaynard wrote:So far only 4 boats have signed up for the Marina, Jim, Tony, Pedro and us.

Victor
What's with that? :o :? :(
Is Erik or Patrick going?
I'll send out another email.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

I'm interested, but can't make it. Have a fun trip! 8)
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Erik is definitely going. Working on Billy.