Ontario Sailors Rendezvous 2013

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Annual MAD MEN of Ontario Rendezvous IV

Post by Highlander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 pm

beene wrote:Looking at dates for August 2013

Aug 9-12

or

Aug 16-19

Let me know what works best for you

G
OK need to pick a date either one is good for me but I'll have to book the time off pretty soon if I'm gonna make it because I want to book 2 days off before & after to make it a 7 day event for me if weather permitting :D :P

J 8)

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 am

Looks like I'm in, whatever the date! 8)

FIL is bringing his passport when they come up from Florida next month. Youngest son is off to Australia for a semester abroad in the middle of summer, so no obligations in that department. It's just me, the Admiral, and the dog, but those two aren't likely to go, so it'll be me and my 80 year old father-in-law on a road trip. :D

The big question is, how do I get charts of that area? Are there downloadable raster charts like the NOAA charts I get (free :wink: ) for my Offshore Navigator software?

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:45 am

It'd be nice to meet you, if we can. NOAA has very good downloadable charts of Lac Ontario - both formats. Perhaps a little early for this year's date, but I'm sure Highlander and Beane will come up with something shortly.

Ross

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 am

Crikey wrote:It'd be nice to meet you, if we can. NOAA has very good downloadable charts of Lac Ontario - both formats. Perhaps a little early for this year's date, but I'm sure Highlander and Beane will come up with something shortly.
I've got the .bsb charts for the Lake, but not the Canadian side. I can't figure out if they're even downloadable, but if so, it appears they're not free like the NOAA charts are. I might have to get some paper charts, which I normally do anyway, but the Canadian 2048 chart (Port Credit) doesn't seem to be available as a stand alone, either. :(

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Tom...are you interested in a two ship flotilla to do a Rochester -TO crossing, weather permitting?

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Tom...are you interested in a two ship flotilla to do a Rochester -TO crossing, weather permitting?
Ya mean... kinda like... an invasion?

-B. :D :D :D

(But NOT like 200 years ago). :wink:

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Catigale wrote:Tom...are you interested in a two ship flotilla to do a Rochester -TO crossing, weather permitting?
Maybe. Well, I would be, but my FIL is 80, and I will have to talk him into it. I'll broach that subject tomorrow. :|
seahouse wrote:Ya mean... kinda like... an invasion?

-B. :D :D :D

(But NOT like 200 years ago). :wink:
Canada was invaded 200 years ago? :o Who would do such a thing. :?

Damn - I was hoping folks had forgotten about that by now. And I wasn't even there.

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:36 pm

:D :D :D

Whew, had me worried there for a minute- maybe I'm just a bit jumpy because I re-enacted the 1812 War period as a summer job while in school.

So I dunno, does that mean I was there?

-B. :wink:

More seriously – it will be nice to see you all there. 8)
Last edited by seahouse on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:38 pm

tkanzler wrote:
Catigale wrote:Tom...are you interested in a two ship flotilla to do a Rochester -TO crossing, weather permitting?
Maybe. Well, I would be, but my FIL is 80, and I will have to talk him into it. I'll broach that subject tomorrow. :|
Kanz, I could set him up with my 85 year old MIL. It'd be like robbing the cradle! :D

Here's a point: We could rendezvous with you all at Toronto, then sail en-mass to Port Credit for a grand arrival - or do it in reverse when you're heading home. From memory, last year StarSpun (where are you girl?) said the tie-up on the wall at the Toronto Islands is a good place for an easy meeting-point. I'm not an expert in this area though.
I like the idea of Pt Credit at the end because I can have a leisurely recovery if I fall off the cooler again, before heading back to Jordan harbour. :D

Ross

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Crikey wrote:Kanz, . . .
Ross~

:D :D :D :D That was my nickname for most of my life. My two boys answer to that, too. I don't think I've ever seen it in writing, though. Knocked me for a loop. :D :D :D :D
Crikey wrote:. . . I could set him up with my 85 year old MIL. It'd be like robbing the cradle!

Oh, and my 78 YO MIL wouldn't think too much of that. Or so she says. :wink:
Crikey wrote:Here's a point: We could rendezvous with you all at Toronto, then sail en-mass to Port Credit for a grand arrival - or do it in reverse when you're heading home. From memory, last year StarSpun (where are you girl?) said the tie-up on the wall at the Toronto Islands is a good place for an easy meeting-point. I'm not an expert in this area though.
I like the idea of Pt Credit at the end because I can have a leisurely recovery if I fall off the cooler again, before heading back to Jordan harbour. :D
That's a thought. I still have to call my FIL and see how adventurous he is. I've crossed Lake Ontario in much larger sailboats, but I don't think I'd want to stray too far from shore in an :macx: . Have to take the hooked route along the shore.

Sailing from Toronto would be cool. It looks like 11-12 nm, depending on where the launch location is, but it's all upwind, and you know how great the :macx: is at beating. :P I wonder if there is a place to keep a car and trailer that's halfway secure.

And I haven't seen StarSpun since last August, talking about the MMO Rendezvous III. I don't know what happened to her.

~Kanz

Crikey
Admiral

Post by Crikey » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Kanz (or anybody similarly minded - for that matter) if the weather doesn't look conducive to a direct crossing from a U.S. point of entry, you could come along the Ontario shoreline to Jordan Harbour where we presently operate out of, then make a direct cross over to Port Credit with us in convoy (boy! Just like WWII!).
Alternately, if you liked the Jordan idea, but wanted to drive with your rig into Canada instead, we can safely park any number of vehicles with trailers on our acreage, for free, which is an easy twenty minutes from the lake just behind Jordan Harbour.
My only qualifier is that we are up for sale, and may have to ditch plan 1 if we get 'lucky'. Then it's back to square one for plan 2. (Seahouse, this could work for you too - especially if you wear your 1812 costume!) :D :D :D

Highlander and Beane: Do you have a solid date for PC yet? If so, do you think we could then poll everyone for a confirmed number of participants in order to get Snug Harbour to group us better this time around?
The admiral and I are wondering about sailing back from TO (after the MMO) to return to another pre-booked berth, the following weekend, for the Port Credit Shuffle. Being retired, does have its advantages....ya :)
C'mon back.....

Ross

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:30 pm

I mentioned the MMOR to the Admiral, and now SHE wants to go. She's not the type to 'camp out' on a boat unless it's got showers, and room service, and air conditioning.

My FIL wants to bring his 30 ft Class C RV and find an RV park. And tow MY boat with it.

I just wanted to travel fast and light, like any good invasion. :D

Leaving the vee-hi-cle in the Jordan Harbour area and sailing the 20 miles across was sounding mighty inviting. To me. :|

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:25 am

Hello all

Charts....
I use Navionics
http://store.fugawi.com/collections/nav ... xl9-canada

Time frame for MMOR IV

If it has to be a weekend, then the best for me is Aug 1/2/3/4

I would prefer weekday as it is less busy, easier to get a slip together, etc.
If you are up for that, then Aug 19-22 works best for me.

I will send a text to John, Rocky, and Cat

G

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:21 am

Hi All
for our USA & Canadian friends who have to travel here for this adventure Aug. 1st-5th is a holiday long wk-end in Ont. so the traffic will be really bad "hectic" the parking lots & lauching area's in the parks will be full & the slips in the marina's will be very few & far apart & we would be scattered all over the marina like last yr, their will not be any slips avail for those who decide to come @ the last minute or for those who just come for the day & then decide they would like to stay overnight ! as happened last yr I beleive we had about 4 boats showed up on a 1-2 days notice & about 2-3 boats showed up for the day but no where to slip in the evening ! :( :o

But there should be more room avail for Aug. 19-22nd & as I do not work Aug. 16-18 or Aug. 23-25 I'd have 10 days total to play with & the likes of Rocky, Ross, & myself & any others who have the time to come early & or stay longer we could maybe ancor-up @ night say in the cove around the Humber River , Geoff I beleive we could do that is that correct ! , also give us more time to do the TO Islands

So I'm in for the Aug. 19-22 . less trafic , more parking avail. & less busy @ the launching ramps @ the parks & Marina's for people who have to trl their boats there like me :wink:

J 8)

finding41
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by finding41 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:37 pm

As long as its on a weekend I'll try and get there.
As for parking... I plan to think outside the box. The big box. I'll schedule a oil change at Canadian Tire or other in the area and tell them I can't pick up the vehicle until.... Get the idea.
Free parking for regular maintenance.