Job x-fer to Orlando Airport

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

ualpow
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Plainfield, Illinois. 2000 26X, 2002 Merc 30 EFI, 2010 Grand Caravan

Job x-fer to Orlando Airport

Post by ualpow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Once our contract gets amalgamated Orlando should open back up for job transfer. I want to know what you Floridians recommend for places to live. I would love to have my :macx: on a canal with gulf access but that may be a pipe dream. I would like to be at most 1hr 30min from Orlando Airport but as close to sailing as possible. We also have 3 kids not in 6th grade yet so that is a concern also. Right now I drive an hour to the Hammond marina for just 5 months of use. An hour drive would be much better in Florida with year round sailing. Are the inland lakes big enough to "get lost" on? I like being out of sight of land. Maybe even an inland lake with a slip and tow to the Gulf when we want to.

gyroplanes
Engineer

Re: Job x-fer to Orlando Airport

Post by gyroplanes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Say it ain't so !

You are going to leave before we get to sail together?

(I am jealous)

Lake Okeechobee is very large and has canal access in a few locations (IIRC) The alligators are something to be mindful of if swimming is planned.

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:56 pm

1hr30 mins from Orlando Airport pretty much puts you on the East or West coast of Florida! Personally, I much prefer living on salt water versus sailing lakes, but that is kind of a long commute for you. I'm also pretty partial to the sailor's paradise known as Tampa Bay, we get winds from all directions here and you can pretty much sail year round.

Ormonddude
First Officer

Post by Ormonddude » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 am

Florida Macs UNITE!!!! lol

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:56 am

That Tampa to MCO drive looks easy but I've been caught late many times doing that...

And MCO is the scourge of frequent travelers everywhere of course.....on the flying side. Since you will have that employee pass, not an issue for you.

Congrats on the move...and thanks for flying me 155 segments cleanly last year on UA!

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:02 am

The problems with that drive are almost always right in Orlando. So for example, the drive from Tampa to Disney World (on West side of Orlando) is always a piece of cake, but go a bit further East and you can run into bad traffic. And the few times I've been on the airport roads, the traffic is not so bad because they are toll roads, but those tolls do accumulate.

And that sure is a lot of travel there Stephen, you must have super FF status (Platinum?) and slum around in all those fancy airport lounges :D

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:19 am

And btw UALPOW, I did what you want to do and I have 5 kids :wink: Although now only 2 are in elementary school and the other 3 are in HS and Middle school. When I moved back to Tampa about 18 years ago (cause I had lived here once before in the 80's also...which is what gave me the idea), my newlywed wife and I lived in a apartment for 8 months just waiting to pounce on a canalfront house. I think the wait paid off...here is my view:

And when our first child started walking, I put in the fence....maybe an eyesore but definitely safer...

Of course, my kids are all quite spoiled now growing up on Florida waterfront...I had to drag them up North into a snowstorm over the holidays since this is what THEY crave! They dream of growing up and moving away to the mountains...lol

ualpow
Engineer

Post by ualpow » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 am

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa wrote:And btw UALPOW, I did what you want to do and I have 5 kids :wink: Although now only 2 are in elementary school and the other 3 are in HS and Middle school. When I moved back to Tampa about 18 years ago (cause I had lived here once before in the 80's also...which is what gave me the idea), my newlywed wife and I lived in a apartment for 8 months just waiting to pounce on a canalfront house. I think the wait paid off...here is my view:

And when our first child started walking, I put in the fence....maybe an eyesore but definitely safer...

Of course, my kids are all quite spoiled now growing up on Florida waterfront...I had to drag them up North into a snowstorm over the holidays since this is what THEY crave! They dream of growing up and moving away to the mountains...lol
I plan on heading down in mid Feb to check out some real estate and visit relatives. Dimitri, that would be perfect for me! We used to have maintenance in Tampa so hopefully I can get there instead of Orlando. It probably won't happen for a few years but I want time to find the right place anyway. The Admiral finished her culinary arts degree in May and will be looking for employment down there also. Her main concern is hurricanes and is paranoid about living near the coast. Right now we live in tornado alley and she doesn't have an issue????

Obelix
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Obelix » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:17 am

Dimitri,
I feel envy :cry:
This is a dream set-up, having your :macx: right in your back yard; congratulations :)
Beats trailering, set-up and launching hands down, over and over :cry:

Obelix

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 am

I admit it - I'm jealous. :)

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Good luck UalPow, lots of lots on the water and yea, the hurricane risk is certainly real when you only live 8 feet above sea level, so you have to accept that risk.

Yea, DL, its a sweet setup for sure, until the hurricane comes :? but maybe that won't happen in my lifetime, who knows. Obelix, although its nice having the boat in the backyard, I did just buy a new trailer about a year ago and am really enjoying the trailering aspect of the Mac as well. I probably have logged over 3 thousand miles all over Florida since I got it, out to the Keys last year, a few times down in Charlotte Harbor area, Pensacola in November and now looking forward to Indian River on the East Coast near Sebastian Inlet next month. I think with that one, I earn the Florida merit badge.. :D

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:56 am

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa wrote:I think with that one, I earn the Florida merit badge
LOL... the "Florida Slam".

Something to keep in mind about the west coast of FL -to- Orlando, vs Orlando -to- the east coast... MCO is right on 528...he could easily live in Canaveral or Cocoa and his commute would be miniscule (comparatively). I would think the best bet for being able sail a lot and not have the traffic problems would be to live along the 528 route and sail the Atlantic side, or maybe Lake Wales/Haines City, and then you can trailer either way from there (and you're closer to Disney right there!). :P

Commuting from Tampa area, he would have to stay on the east side of Tampa Bay...as soon as you get past I-75 and into downtown, you are adding trouble to the commute. Kept between I-75 and Orlando, yes, the worst traffic on that drive is between US27 and MCO. But if you want to land on the west side of TB, say St. Pete or something...ferget it...trying to cross the bridge at rush hour, going through Malfunction-Junction either way...just not a pretty sight.

I live in Lakeland and commute into and around Tampa for work all the time. The east side of the bay is easy (I-75 corridor), Brandon, Fishhawk, Ruskin areas...not waterfront, but plenty of ramp options. But that is also a healthy commute to MCO (it's 60 miles on I-4 from the I-75 junction to the exit at Hwy 528 in Orlando, just for reference) and you're subject to whatever traffic there is along I-4. If you get off at 417, a little earlier, it's about $7 in tolls (one way) but you miss the worst traffic. It would be a tough commute to MCO from the Tampa area no matter what.
ualpow wrote:We used to have maintenance in Tampa so hopefully I can get there instead of Orlando.
Pray for the Tampa option! :wink:

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:52 pm

And that sure is a lot of travel there Stephen, you must have super FF status (Platinum?) and slum around in all those fancy airport lounges
Global Services,but I dont even come close to being a true road warrior....the record holder actually made top status on UA in the first 10 days of 2012...thats 100k miles flown...absolutely insane...

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Yea, even though I think the West Coast of Florida is prettier in general (less developed, nicer beaches, I'm biased, etc) :o , I'd have to agree with you that the East coast would be closer to MCO for sailing than the West coast. But some of those roads (like Orlando to Cocoa Beach for example) are two lane for long distances and if they backup (like used to happen during shuttle launches)...then faget about it...lol

So yea, TIA would be a better option all around (and a very nice airport to boot)...

ualpow
Engineer

Post by ualpow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks for the replies people. I would be working midnight shift so if traffic is anything like Chicago it will be much better on my commute to work. I am 55 miles away from O'hare now and have been doing this drive for 24 years. It's nice to be able to cruise home and see the traffic backed up going the other way with all those "normal" people heading to work.
I was thinking about the east coast on the inter-coastal but how far would I have to motor to get to the ocean? I used to live in Daytona Beach and that was great in my early 20's But would not live there now in my sailing 40's...