Ontario Sailors Rendezvous 2014

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: MMOR V Ontario Canada Mac Rendezvous

Post by beene »

Catigale wrote:Simcoe probably knocks me out,.... :(

If I have to trailer two days that is four days vacation on the road, which is getting to be 50% duty cycle

I don't think I can do a ALB to Simcoe in one day.
Alb to Wilson, 5 hours

Alb to Barrie waterfront, 6.5 hours
431 mi, 6 hours 26 mins
In current traffic: 6 hours 32 mins
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Tomfoolery wrote:Bummer. The Thousand Islands is obviously much closer, and one of my destinations yet to be realized, but that may be too far for the western Lake Ontario folks, which seems to be where most are from.

I could propose Rochester, of course, but I'd get things thrown at me for that. :P
Thousand islands would be fine with me as well

May be summer 2015

Rochester, Wilson, name it..... I'm in

I think that all will very much enjoy a trip to Simcoe, lots to see and do.
Lots of places to run and hide when weather gets bad...
Lake Ontario... not so much

If you like swimming off your boat, Lagoon City has tonnes of great sandy bottom 2 feet deep and water is clear at 22c in July

Lake Ont.... not
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

beene wrote:
Catigale wrote:Simcoe probably knocks me out,.... :(

If I have to trailer two days that is four days vacation on the road, which is getting to be 50% duty cycle

I don't think I can do a ALB to Simcoe in one day.
Alb to Wilson, 5 hours

Alb to Barrie waterfront, 6.5 hours
431 mi, 6 hours 26 mins
In current traffic: 6 hours 32 mins
430 miles is 9 hours of trailering for me, which is a planned two day road trip vs one. I can do it in one, but I've learned after a week of cruising I'm usually not up for 8 hours of driving .
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

OK I did a 1200km trip to the St Lawrence PQ 16hrs each way none stop driving in pevetit traffic with my Ford Ranger & my boat is loaded really heavy & it was white knuckle driving all the way there & back :D :D :D , That was one day each way ! :P

But I would not have any issues doing it again with my Ford F150 Super Crew :) Honestly U young guys these days ! :P

J 8)
PS Hope we can all work something out for our southern brothers would really enjoy seeing again steph as I believe its ur turn to buy the beers !! :P :wink: " I just made that up to make u feel guilty " :D :D :D :D :P
delevi
Admiral

Post by delevi »

Well folks, looks like you'll have an American neighbor along (maybe 2 if Stephen bites the bullet.) If you do, I'll buy the beer 8) Won't give any input on location as I'll be tagging along with Beene on Pegasus. Had a blast 2 years ago. Looking forward to July.

cheers,
Leon
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Hi Leon
Will be great to see u again , looking forward to a better summer than last yr as it was a wet one @ least most of the time I had off , so I spent most of it modin my boat & going sailing with G when we were able to get out together

J 8)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Highlander wrote:<snip> I spent most of it modin my boat & going sailing with G when we were able to get out together
But did you get the engine fixed, is what I want to know. :|

:D
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Tomfoolery wrote:
Highlander wrote:<snip> I spent most of it modin my boat & going sailing with G when we were able to get out together
But did you get the engine fixed, is what I want to know. :|

:D
Y eh Tom
With 5ft snow in my back yrd I'll get right on that !! :D , I have a couple of fuel injector treatments in the eng. pressurized fuel system so hopefully they will do their thing over the winter & maybe resolve my issue ! " clean my injector's", if not I now have the eng. manual to read up on over the winter ! , could also be an fuel sensor !! acting up but I'm 95 percent sure its @ least two injectors stuck wide open due to the amount of oil she is making ! :evil: , have been out in the shop working inside the boat with heat on a few times deciding where to mount the other new set of 3x10 beckson opening ports I just bought @ the T.O. Boat show, new Harken 460 furler for my storm sail Harken 460 $560. price 2013, Boat Show price $475 , My Boat Show price $399. Harken new price 2014 $632. so glad I bit the bullet so to say . new LED bow lights to install also ! , but this morn I gotta get out & blow out the 3ft of snow in my drive way , its been a long cold winter so far :evil: ,I need to retire & move in with Div in Florida ! :D :D :D , then I could mod my boat over the warm winter :wink:

J 8)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Highlander wrote: <snip> have been out in the shop working inside the boat with heat on a few times deciding where to mount the other new set of 3x10 beckson opening ports <snip>
Santa brought me a pair of these . . .

. . . louvers for the 3x10 Beckson ports I put in last year in the cockpit/stern berth walls. Now I can leave them open without the bimini in place and not get rain in them. They choke down the air flow, of course, but I'm not worried about it, as even a little bit of air makes a huge difference in keeping the 'boat smell' down.

I'd put them in now, but the boat is tarped and covered in snow, and it's cold outside, and I'm turning into a big wimp as I get older and have zero interest in going outside in the cold any more than I have to. Haven't skied or skated since my 20's, in fact. :D

Oh, and something to consider when you're laying out the ports - make sure you can reach them from the inside to open and especially close them. The one I installed on the starboard side is well blocked by the head and the cockpit step, so I have to contort myself pretty badly just to open it, which is easier than closing it, as I can just get a couple of fingers on the rearward knob. I could have installed them further forward, but it never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to reach them from the inside until it was too late. I have to remove the step and move stored crap out of the way, then slide in on my back to reach that one in particular. That's another reason for the louvers (louvres?) - rarely a need to close the ports now.
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Tom
I have these rain shields too for my 3x10 beckson opening ports also will post the mod when I decide where I want to put them , looking @ midships in front of galley & dinnete or around that area !

by the way heres some vids of beene & I sailing L. Simcoe off Lagoon City Canada Day Wk-end 2013
http://s844.photobucket.com/user/TheHig ... 5.mp4.html

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/TheHig ... a.mp4.html

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/TheHig ... 1.mp4.html

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Great videos

Thanks for posting them J
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Hi Folks

Time for this summers meet is growing near

Looking like launch date is the 11th of July

Going through to sometime after the weekend

Proposed launch site is the Barrie Marina City Docks

Hope to see you there

G
dreamer
First Officer

Post by dreamer »

Looking forward to sailing on Simcoe. I hope we can get a few more macs to come up.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I'm tentatively planning on being there. Lotta trips with the boat are planned for this summer, including to South Carolina, and to Iowa (driving, but without the boat), and the Thousand Islands, but I've blocked out my calendar for MMOR V.