Pennekamp and Bahia Honda

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Pennekamp and Bahia Honda

Post by Divecoz »

Hi Guys : ) Long time no see , but I have been, busy busy busy .. I am now looking for any and all info about doing a short term ( 10 days) liveaboard in The Pennekamp and Bahia Honda Nature Parks ( Fla. Keys) . Any and All info will be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend a day or two in the middle of 10 days at a hotel with a dock.. Side Note: Life is Great In SWF : )
drams_1999
Chief Steward

Re: Pennekamp and Bahia Honda

Post by drams_1999 »

Any specific questions?

You can launch at Pennecamp (oceanside) or at South Dade marina (inside). South Dade is cheaper. Pennecamp has docks and mooring balls available for rent.

I may know more if you I have an idea what specifically you'd like to know.....
bahama bound
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by bahama bound »

Ohh I will be listening very closely .I would like to do this trip between now and November ? What is the best time of the year ?when is it best for not being eaten alive by bugs ?
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

Last time I was at Pennekamp was 3 years ago. Cost was $ 30 a day with free parking at back lot.
You need AC and they have outlets for plugins.
Have a 5000 btu ac unit in companion way hatch.Bugs will eat you up if you don't have AC. Even in Dec.
We as a group have launched at South Dade many times. It Cost $10 a day and shallow ramp.
Bob is a Great person to know and owner of South Dade Marina.(Sailboats Only)
His Marina is usually full, so no or little space for over nighters.
We have always used it as a launch site and travel the Islands.
Dave
Divecoz wrote:Hi Guys : ) Long time no see , but I have been, busy busy busy .. I am now looking for any and all info about doing a short term ( 10 days) liveaboard in The Pennekamp and Bahia Honda Nature Parks ( Fla. Keys) . Any and All info will be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend a day or two in the middle of 10 days at a hotel with a dock.. Side Note: Life is Great In SWF : )
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

If you want hotel and dock, try port largo canal. Several hotels, right near the reefs, ect. Right in down town key largo. Pm me if you need more info, since I live in the area.
Ix
Retcoastie
Captain

Post by Retcoastie »

Bahia Honda has a large, probably man-made, basin with a wall all the way around. It is very protected. It had water and electric outlets at various places around the wall and a pump-out station. It had a very nice ramp and plenty of parking. There are fees involved. They may have changed since we were there. Check them. The basin was available for day use at no charge. You can anchor just outside the channel entrance in partially protected water. There are restrooms, showers, a store, a beach, some hiking, a little museum, and not much else. There was a bus that ran from Key West to Miami and back with a stop outside the park entrance.
tlgibson97
First Officer

Post by tlgibson97 »

I spent 4 days at Bahia Honda this spring. I think they are $2/ft plus about $6 in taxes/fees. I planned on anchoring out a few days but the family enjoyed the park so much that we decided to stay at the dock. Winds were 16-18kt that week so we didn't get much sailing in. Sailed to Looe Key for snorkeling. Getting there was easy, getting back was near dead upwind in about 3-4 ft seas. 2 tacks got me close enough to motor on in.

We stayed on the ocean side. I didn't feel like lowering the mast to get under the bridge there at the park or going the 8 miles east to go under 7-mile bridge.

Everyone still had a good time. I just wish I had sailed more after hauling the boat 1600 miles round trip.
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

LX, you live in the area and a few members have mentioned staying at a motel in Key Largo that also has a ramp for launching the Mac.
Do you know that Motel?.
Dave
Ixneigh wrote:If you want hotel and dock, try port largo canal. Several hotels, right near the reefs, ect. Right in down town key largo. Pm me if you need more info, since I live in the area.
Ix
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Divecoz wrote:Hi Guys : ) Long time no see , but I have been, busy busy busy .. I am now looking for any and all info about doing a short term ( 10 days) liveaboard in The Pennekamp and Bahia Honda Nature Parks ( Fla. Keys) . Any and All info will be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend a day or two in the middle of 10 days at a hotel with a dock.. Side Note: Life is Great In SWF : )
Good to hear from you Dive

And glad to hear life is good down there

ORD misses you :>)

G
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

Thanks Guys.. this has been very helpful so far.. I am surprised to hear, I will need A/C in the winter down here. I lived on the Mac for 6+ weeks down here one winter and never needed A/C but could have used a Heater..So I need to further research that issue.
So Far.. We havent even gotten the Mac wet yet, and we have been here 2 years come Nov. We bought a 24' W.A. Power Boat and have used that very little as well. Just too busy.. But Life is good in SWF and adding to it , not having to shovel snow all winter is really nice : ) Family back in ILL said last winter was one of the worst on record and this winter coming up, may not be much better..
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

beene wrote:
Good to hear from you Dive

And glad to hear life is good down there

ORD misses you :>)

G
Hahahaha My wife goes back every 8 to 10 months .. so ORD and MDW are still seeing our $$$$
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

8)
DaveB
Admiral

Post by DaveB »

Dive, you only need AC at the Dock! Have 3-4 cabin fans 12volt and anchor out on the hook at night with screens covering hatches and spray them with Deet.
Only time I used my AC 5000 companion watt was in Middle of July at Pennicamp Marina, FL.
I would use the AC at any Marina in SW Florida, any time of the year.
On the hook, fans work great / with screens and spray them.
Don't get no-seam screen/they restrict air movement. Much better with normal screen and spray them with a Deet spray. Noseams will not go thru.
Remember that in the winter in SW Florida ,one can have a many cold fronts that require no AC. Not often.
Early Jan. tru late Feb. is your best chance.

Dave
Divecoz wrote:Thanks Guys.. this has been very helpful so far.. I am surprised to hear, I will need A/C in the winter down here. I lived on the Mac for 6+ weeks down here one winter and never needed A/C but could have used a Heater..So I need to further research that issue.
So Far.. We havent even gotten the Mac wet yet, and we have been here 2 years come Nov. We bought a 24' W.A. Power Boat and have used that very little as well. Just too busy.. But Life is good in SWF and adding to it , not having to shovel snow all winter is really nice : ) Family back in ILL said last winter was one of the worst on record and this winter coming up, may not be much better..
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

Thanks for clearing that up for me DaveB. I have screens and Deet : ) and we hope to do this in late Jan of early Feb. We would love to do it in late spring or early summer too, but we are concerned about bugs.. We are going over there for the Water Viz. One of the VERY FEW THINGS that is a dissapointment for us here in the Charlotte Harbor Area/ SWF, is Water Viz. Not so much , that we regret our relocation to here by any means..
oh and Bull Sharks in the canals :o
DaveB wrote:Dive, you only need AC at the Dock! Have 3-4 cabin fans 12volt and anchor out on the hook at night with screens covering hatches and spray them with Deet.
Only time I used my AC 5000 companion watt was in Middle of July at Pennicamp Marina, FL.
Don't get no-seam screen/they restrict air movement. Much better with normal screen and spray them with a Deet spray. Noseams will not go thru.
Remember that in the winter in SW Florida ,one can have a many cold fronts that require no AC. Not often.
Early Jan. tru late Feb. is your best chance. Dave
DaveB
Admiral

Post by DaveB »

Dive, we have 3 overhead 12volt fans that keeps us cool during the night.
All hatches are screened in with Velcro and spray the screens with a Deet spray.
No no-seems or others enter cabin.
I do have the fan deet fan clip on that runs inside cabin, also a deet candil.
Reg. screen allows air movement, you just spray that screen so no Seeums enter.
Been doing this past 8 years cruiseing in SW Florida, even in summers.(acctualy since 1966 in Ft Myers).
Dave
Dive, since we are so close, maybe we can do a cruise?
I have about 28 family members for a cookout this weekend. If you want to join us. Give me a call. Cookout is Aug. 23. Sat.
Aliskin King Crab, New England Ipswich Steamers clams, New England Stuffed Cohougs, ETC.
Dave

Dive
Divecoz wrote:Thanks for clearing that up for me DaveB. I have screens and Deet : ) and we hope to do this in late Jan of early Feb. We would love to do it in late spring or early summer too, but we are concerned about bugs.. We are going over there for the Water Viz. One of the VERY FEW THINGS that is a dissapointment for us here in the Charlotte Harbor Area/ SWF, is Water Viz. Not so much , that we regret our relocation to here by any means..
oh and Bull Sharks in the canals :o
DaveB wrote:Dive, you only need AC at the Dock! Have 3-4 cabin fans 12volt and anchor out on the hook at night with screens covering hatches and spray them with Deet.
Early Jan. tru late Feb. is your best chance. Dave