Ontario Sailors Rendezvous 2015

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: MMOR Ontario Canada 2015 Mac Meet July 20-27 Port Credit

Post by beene »

Tic Toc

Mac Meet is almost upon us

Just a few days away

Weather looking like temps 28c/83f and sunny

See you there!

https://youtu.be/37lFtUuGQKQ

G
StarSpun
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by StarSpun »

beene wrote: Hi Cat

Good to hear from you

Look fwd to seeing you Brian/Mr Cat/and big lizard... :P

I will be there 20-27

G
Awesome! Will be nice to meet up again! I always look forward to this meetup! :)
dreamer
First Officer

Post by dreamer »

John did you say co-pilot....more like cabin boy :D ....but I'll still let you have the 9 beers.
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

dreamer wrote:John did you say co-pilot....more like cabin boy :D ....but I'll still let you have the 9 beers.
Great

He needs another swim and a pair of expensive glasses :o

:P

G
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

dreamer wrote:John did you say co-pilot....more like cabin boy :D ....but I'll still let you have the 9 beers.
Nope hope to have youngest daughter & 4yr old gran Admiral on board lol so I should be safe ! :o :D :D :D :P

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

beene wrote:
Great

He needs another swim and a pair of expensive glasses :o

:P

G
Yeah next time go skinny dipping @ the nude beaches StarSpun took us to on the T.O. Islands ! :P but no pic,s aloud ! Eh :D :D :D :D

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Weather forecast looks great see u guy,s Thurs evening :)

J 8)
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Highlander wrote:Weather forecast looks great see u guy,s Thurs evening :)

J 8)

Sunny and warm all week

Even says breezy

I love that word

G
StarSpun
Engineer

Post by StarSpun »

Hey guys!

HAHA! Yeah! Lets go to Hanlans!
So um, I'm still pretty shaken up after yesterdays ordeal while sailing, as some of you know, a big storm hit!

We decided to go out....wind was good, but....we knew storms were coming (kept watch and were being pretty cautious, or so I thought!). Anchored afterwards at Hanlans before sailing out to Cherry Beach. Saw one storm move south and one went north. Decided to beat the 3rd one coming for us over to Cherry. Sun came out, and we're sailing downwind....after a bit I feel the change in the air and it's close. Already raining, didn't think it would be much of a front....

Things start to get sketchy and I ask Bryan over and over to put the head sail in. Then I DEMAND IT.... (we have new people on the boat who have never sailed, and they are sitting inside a bit nervous I guess!) I literally start yelling at him, but now it's too late....Squall line hits!

We heal right over (and not just the little bit that normally upsets me, I mean RIGHT OVER), and Bryan is now trying to get the sail in....but loses control somehow and the sheet gets massively tangled around the lifeline (yay, one sheet to the wind?!). We swing almost completely over, going almost 8 knots SIDEWAYS! (Woo hoo?!) Water is coming up over the edge of the boat!!!! I look back and realize there were swells of about 6 feet, though my friend on his boat said easily 7 footers. 40+ knot winds (more with the gusts!) So we had 7 foot swells pushing us from UNDER the boat....because our underside was NOT in the water anymore! Sail is flapping and I am literally SCREAMING! I try to stop panicking and take a look at what I can do to possibly help....took a couple swigs of gin and then realized, OMG, the CANVAS! We had almost the full canvas up for the rain, and I was pretty sure it was not helping the situation of sideways sailing! I ran and unzipped and it let out a bit....but we were still in trouble. There is nothing to do but wait it out, the lines are tangled on the low side of the boat, which is partially in the water! AAAAND we are heading towards the rocks at Wards:-/

I look back and start thinking about jumping in the dinghy, where I'd actually feel safer! We had a massive (heavy) water trampoline tied to the top of it, but it ripped off....it was attached only by rope to the boat! It is about 8 feet in the air, spinning circles! I thought OMG we are done for! I'm sitting up on the edge of the boat, trying to get most of the weight there (and also waiting to jump if the boat decides to flip over!) Two girls are huddled inside at the back trying to keep the weight low....B is trying to get hold of the sail and another friend grabbed the wheel. It felt like 20 min, but apparently only went on for 5-8 minutes....

B said his only concern were the rocky shores, which we were headed for! Wind finally died down, we righted up a bit, and we were able to get the engine going, the boat somewhat straight and the sail untangled and put in. At this point everything on the left side of the boat is now on the right....the front of the lower kitchen cabinet has fallen out. We get to anchor at Cherry and it is sunny and beautiful! Throw the anchor in and Bryan discovers were are taking on water FAST! When the kitchen ripped away, the hose for the sink did too, and water was pouring into the bilge and the bottom of the boat. He was bailing for a while....

I started literally chugging any and all alcohol I could find....then jumped into the water to cool off:P
Bryan has been demoted to galley slave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhoo, we have to assess the damage, hopefully our sail is ok. May have lost one of the windows on it, not sure....
The boat inside looks like a tornado hit....
Today we're going to have a nice chill day at the houseboat @ Ontario Place Marina. If anyone is around or sailing our way, please feel free to stop by, you can raft up to us, as we are on the break wall....

Well I learned one thing....the MacGregor can take quite a beating, and it got us home safe....and didn't capsize! Others yesterday weren't as lucky, or so I heard:-( A friend of mine even said some smashed into the rocky shore:-(
I have more faith in the MAC, more so than ever. But I'm not sure if I can sail for quite some time....
....at least until I find a new captain! Taking applications! :D :D
dreamer
First Officer

Post by dreamer »

Wow, quite the ordeal...glad you're all safe. Those storms do come quickly. Thanks for the detailed description of events. It reminds us how important it is to be carefull. I won't be on the water until tomorrow afternoon. Beene should be At port credit today. I hope the Mac didn't sustain too much damage.
StarSpun
Engineer

Post by StarSpun »

dreamer wrote:Wow, quite the ordeal...glad you're all safe. Those storms do come quickly. Thanks for the detailed description of events. It reminds us how important it is to be carefull. I won't be on the water until tomorrow afternoon. Beene should be At port credit today. I hope the Mac didn't sustain too much damage.
Thanks! Yeah I think the MAC is ok! Will check the sail this week. I saw something plastic and clear blowing away from the boat, hopefully it's not one of the little windows:-( It takes one spanking like that to make you respect mother nature. I always did, maybe now Bryan will! He also needs to listen to me too!!!! :P

Cool, maybe we will swing by there tonight via vehicle! If not tonight, then tomorrow. Does anyone know when peeps are open to sailing over to Toronto Island? We have a camping trip we leave for on Friday, and have to go to Niagara Falls to drop all the pets off with my parents. I'm thinking we'll be free tonight, tomorrow all day, and Thursday late afternoon! :-)
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Just hanging out wondering where all my mac meet folks are...

G
StarSpun
Engineer

Post by StarSpun »

Sure looks nice out there! We never made it out of the condo today, but will come by tomorrow:-)
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Wow Cat...

That was quite a story

Come down to credit village for a beer

Love ro hear more

Gte code 251

G
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

StarSpun

I Hope u realize demoting B to galley slave duty,s will also make him to be included in Cabin boy duties & privileges for the new Skipper Just saying :o U might want to change that to head duties Oh wait a minute not sure u wanna do that either , better make it active crew member :)

Glad alls well & nobody got hurt , but u really have to be asking urself,s with all that threating thunder storm activity why u went out in the first place & yep shoulda dropped the sails & high tide it outa there , I,ve been caught in that kinda stuff a few times under power trying to get to a safe harbour Then asked myself why the heck I did not stay in safe harbour for another day , I took it all in stride but it becomes a lot of hard work u gonna get wet & its just not comfortable getting tossed around a like a ragged doll , lot easier & dryer to to stay in safe port & make B serve the cocktails for the day & have a BBQ or make love or something like that !! :D :D :D :P
So when I get down there on Wed u,ll have some good stories too tell us all then :P

J 8)