FLORIDA KEYS ADVENTURE

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Jimmyt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: FLORIDA KEYS ADVENTURE

Post by Jimmyt » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:05 am

Excellent!

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:07 pm

The Ohio key area is very nice. It's close to Bahia Honda. I park on the bay side in one of the two channels there. I like the easterly one best.
There is good paddle boarding all around and good shelter from any winds although it looks exposed to nw winds, get up in the shallows with a good anchor. There is a wayside park nearby that has water bathroom and trash cans. The RV park on Ohio key proper is friendly to transient boaters but has very little amenities. Gas and ice and fishing tackle. Big Spanish channel is not far away and offers protection from all directions. Snorkeling on the ocean side of Ohio key is pleasent. You might see baby conch, small sharks, Rays etc. the tiny fragment of island detached from Ohio key is in fact a nice place to picnic. Or walk dogs. I took my v22 into the ocean side channel and spent several days there. With the M I'd park her right on the sand flats. It dries at low tide.
Ix

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:35 pm

Thx Jimmy x2

Thx Ix. Believe it or not I have yet to move from my spot :|
Let me know if you' ll be doing any paddling or sailing.

Its been blowing a lot of snot & I was still housekeeping, fixing & being a relaxed civillian. I have about 10 days left :(
My wife thinks I'm having an affair. I'm just connecting to myself & boat thats been in our family for 10 years. Without hassle or work.

The other day there was half a day with no wind. I think it was Friday. While I had considered driving to Key West & poisoning my liver. I instead: changed out my roller furling headsail from genoa to jib, finally got the cabin to my liking, when clean. & started installing my new chartplotter & pedestal & sorting the rats nest :P I just have the VHF to install - or simply disconnect the old one & use a handheld. We'll see what Monday holds in store.

I like Hawks Cay. It's safe, clean, bathrooms are kept well, although they need to put a table in so you can put down your stuff :x
There's plenty of amenities I havent used yet. Like the pool -been too cold, gym & massage. My back still hurts some from that spill I took going from the bow to the dock. I'm gonna call it a bruise rather than a sprain. I'm still so thankful I didn't impale myself on a dock cleat or hit my head & fall into the water :|
20 years of NYC firefighting; burns, broken bones, strains & sprains, no problem. I always had my brothers looking after me & me for them... This one scared me, cause it was late, noone was around & I'm on my own :|
As you can see it was quite sobering for me. I'm not used to being the victim.

Anyway, I thoroughly reccomend this place as it's very nice & they allow you to live on your boat. It is overpriced. Thanks for the warning Bahama Bound. But I'm a good cook & provider. I just had two dive buddies over for rib eyes on the grill :)
BtB, they don't want you grilling on ur boat... Fire hazard :| No problem, they made a nice area. Easy enough to bring extra beers & steaks & make new friends. The weather just needs to cooperate more.

I paddleboarded the channel to the beach & bar earlier, wind on the nose :x I had to use a kayak paddle & get as low as possible. Good workout - made the rum drink & conch fritters taste better, I earned them. Like docking, all eyes are on you paddleboarding. There is no going back & you need to look & be competant. I always win for most interesting manner of travel to the bar :D
Instant conversation starter :wink:
The wind blew me all the way back home...

bahama bound
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by bahama bound » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Man if I would have known I would have come down for a month ,we left in Nov. But my wife gave me the option of staying through Christmas ,now I wish I had taken her up on it ,they do Lon term live aboards for 1200 I think and I keep looking for a big boat to leave there .......we would have had a blast ? Mike get back from Chicago ?

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:38 pm

X
bahama bound wrote:Man if I would have known I would have come down for a month ,we left in Nov. But my wife gave me the option of staying through Christmas ,now I wish I had taken her up on it ,they do Lon term live aboards for 1200 I think and I keep looking for a big boat to leave there .......we would have had a blast ? Mike get back from Chicago ?
Yea we just went out to the ocean today. It took me 29 days to get my act together enough to get my boat out into the ocean :!:
While part of me is pi$$ I took that long :x

I'm really more in my, YAY. I'm Doin It :macx: mode :)

I asked Mike if he wanted to come on the maiden voyage. He was like, Sure. It was 4:30 & we only had about an hour out. Seas were 2-4 feet.

Last edited by Gazmn on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:45 pm

Nice pictures. Hold on while I pack my bag and come on down. :P

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Totally stoked.
Btb, this is a Brand new RF jib. I switched out a few days ago. What a difference from 150 Genoa :?

Big thanks to Mike for putting up with me.

This is going home:

Last edited by Gazmn on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:49 pm

dlandersson wrote:Nice pictures. Hold on while I pack my bag and come on down. :P
While I totally understand, there's only 1 berth, I snore horribly & I don't think you want to spoon with me, I'm Definately an "outerspoon" & a "Top" - just sayin' :wink:

One more...
Last edited by Gazmn on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

cptron
Captain
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:31 pm

I still remember my first couple of times out into the big water. It sure is exhilarating. Glad you finally got to experience it. Florida is some fine cruising, we will be cruising the Clearwater, Tampa area in a few months while on vacation visiting the grandkids .

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:09 am

cptron wrote:I still remember my first couple of times out into the big water. It sure is exhilarating. Glad you finally got to experience it. Florida is some fine cruising, we will be cruising the Clearwater, Tampa area in a few months while on vacation visiting the grandkids .

I'm gonna trust you on exhilarating :wink:
What's that prayer:
... Lord, your ocean is so big, & my ship is so small... :?

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/ ... OTYXw.aspx
I'm the smallest craft out here. These other craft are Mucho Ma$$$...
While I appreciate having the same view, I am humbled...
This is a 52' Jefferson :|
52'...
But I'm having a Great Time 8)

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:02 pm

Am on my way home :cry: ...

Man, where did the time go...
I even stayed an extra 2 weeks. While the weather wasn't cooperatin' most of the time. It showed up full force the past 5 days. But no wind for sailing. Took last dive on Wed, 3/16.

The packup in the heat & sun was brutal & took longer than expected. Did all leaving prep: changed oil in car, checked all tires, greased the bearings, packed the truck & streamlined boat... Sheez, I'm exhausted listing it :P
The first 500 miles are the hardest; then I just settle in...

I'm in pit stop in Palm Coast, FL Cracker Barrel. Parking, eats & bathroom.

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:49 pm

Gazmn wrote: [...

As I was walking in I spied a mast among the boats tied to the dock. Wouldn't ya know it's a Mac 8)
A 97 :macx: with orig aluminium rudder supports. My PO changed mine to stainless :)
This Capt isn't much for the internet, so is not on this site. But he drove his down from Indiana & is Really living the dream...

With some really nice mods I got pics of :) :

Really nice wood work & made his own roller furling main.
I also thought his boot stripe was interesting. I might just do that to save the brown ring I'm famous for here :wink:

Am going diving tomorrow, if the weather & wind hold. Was a beautiful day, today...
Yikes! That is one immaculate and tricked out old '97 26X. I need my shades, 'cause there's some visible love streaming from that tub right there, folks!

ris
First Officer

Post by ris » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Have a safe trip home. Feb., March, Aug., 1st 2 weeks of Sept. are the worst months to visit Florida. At least you got to meet some Mac folk and get in some diving.

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:48 am

ris wrote:Have a safe trip home. Feb., March, Aug., 1st 2 weeks of Sept. are the worst months to visit Florida. At least you got to meet some Mac folk and get in some diving.
Thanks ris.

Geez... Mac peeps are Great :)

& I agree wih u BilgeM...

Next 2 on my to do list are: 1- Hydraulic steering upgrade & 2A- Tuff Coat Epoxy up to the ridge, 2B- Hard black ablative cover... Should = No more Brown Ring 8)

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:48 am

I,m right behind you Greg. We left South Dade Marina about 330pm on friday. We are in Cocoa at a hotel now . Should be on the road by 0730. Safe travels to you. Again, glad we had the chance to meet.