Keys trip II

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

RGF
Engineer

Re: Keys trip II

Post by RGF » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:35 pm

Especially with the poor missus ..... :evil:

Have thoroughly enjoyed your trip reports Gaz, thnx!

Doug W
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Prairie Home MO - Galactica - 2010 26M with Etec 60

Post by Doug W » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:09 pm

THE CUSCUS wrote:Doug, my primary anchor is a 14lb delta, with 25' of 1/4" chain and 150' 3/8" 3 strand. We looked for a sandy spot to drop the anchor. Did not drag at all. I called South Dade marina back in January to make reservations, and he said call the week before you want to come down, which I did, and he said call the day before, which I did. He didn't remember me each time, but said there would be no problem with space. It's a real laid back place. Not any amenities , but the location is golden. And at $10 a day, it's a deal.
I haven't figured out how to get pictures on here from my phone or ipad. I'm posting a lot on Facebook, so send me a friend request with "Macgregor owner" in the note, and I will friend you. This offer goes to any other Mac owners also. My real name is Jim Van Lenten.

Thanks for the update, Jim! I'll send the FB request to you!
Doug

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:35 pm

So I wake up this morning to sound of or should I say the lack of the sound of wind howling. There is a slight breeze though. Being in a slip right on the end near the channel, I start to see sailboats, one by one, start moving south out of Boot Key harbor. I check all my weather apps, trying to decide if I should go too. I have already cancelled my plans to go to Bahia Honda, so I need to get back on the bay side of the keys to start making my way back towards South Dade marina. I already checked with Faro Blanco marina on the bayside, ad they have a slip available. We quickly prep the boat and we motor out. Wind was about 10knots deep on our port quarter, with moderate waves as we motored towards Moser channel and the seven mile bridge. We get under the bridge ok, with wind and waves on the beam. We clear the shallows near the bridge then turn into the waves and wind.. The wind is picking up and waves getting bigger and more frequent. Boat speed is down to less than 4 knots, but I trudge on, getting wet from crashing waves and wishing Miss Adventure had a dodger like my Pearson 35 does. We make into the marina, which is part of the Hyatt in Marathon. It is a super nice marina, but super expensive too. Minimum slip charge is for a 35' boat, so im paying for 10' I don't have. Included with slip is a pump out, electric, water, ice, pool, laundry, newspaper, showers. The admiral arrives by plane tomorrow to finish the trip with me and my brother is leaving. I'm staying here until Monday morning. The strong southerly winds are going to die down to about nothing by then and I will begin my northward journey.

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:25 am

Glad you made it out of Boot Key Bros. Pleasure again with the face to face...
Fair winds... :)

Okay, so:
I checked out my tow Monster for fair winds on the ride home. Check this out: my left blinker failed & bailed by Cocoa FL, in the fog, remember? I go to "Marathon Auto & Air - & Trailer" on 25th St. & US 1, Oceanside. I brought the boat & trailer, just to get it right :wink:
Sadly, I came at 12:10ish, while peeps need to eat from 12-1 :P

So I had lunch at a cantina 2 stores down. & found out - 5 mins after 13:00, that I had a blown fuse in da box uh de truck. Gave him a 10 spot - for making me wait - & now I'm agile & mobile 8)

So, my ride is good & de oil's been changed... Trucks been washed & waxed -t Although the machiine clipped off my rear rack support :evil:

Now I'm just waitin' for a story to fandagle to extend my Paradisio - Good weather's comin' :|
& I'd LoVe to stay just a LIttle Longer...
So I got to get my: "Please, Baby Baby PLEasE..." line down to the Admiral...

Y'all better root for me now :| Please...

Eitherway, I'd like to dive the Christ Statue up in Key Largo & see if Ixneigh might be available for some suds & stories by Wed.

That would be: T Over 48 hrs from lift off... :|

Ix- u available anytime btw 3/15 or 16 :? .

Give me a PM...

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Hi Gaz

Some guy,s got all the luck , but we r getting what,s beginning to look like am early spring , be the first in 3 yrs :) so lookin forward to it , Keep enjoying ur time down there sounds like u r having great time

J 8)

DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:50 pm

Going South from South Dade Marina is good inside, outside Hawks..you need good weather.
looks like you missed a lot of anchorage I have posted.
Bahia Honda had only 3 boats in it in a 40 slip marina in October
Book 5 days oct14 2016 for camp rv . Bahia Honda, carry 2 kay's on truck and two cruiser bikers in trailer.
Maybe some others will hook up.
Those cruiseing Biscane Bay during Winter Months is best to Cruise the Inland Waterways. A 2-3 week Cruise in Biscane Bay/Card Sound/ Blackwater..ETC.
And do a Day Sail in Hawk Channel Reefs is Great' .
Launch at South Dade Marina for $10 a day, or Pennycamp for $30 a day with slip and AC.

dave
THE CUSCUS wrote:So I wake up this morning to sound of or should I say the lack of the sound of wind howling. There is a slight breeze though. Being in a slip right on the end near the channel, I start to see sailboats, one by one, start moving south out of Boot Key harbor. I check all my weather apps, trying to decide if I should go too. I have already cancelled my plans to go to Bahia Honda, so I need to get back on the bay side of the keys to start making my way back towards South Dade marina. I already checked with Faro Blanco marina on the bayside, ad they have a slip available. We quickly prep the boat and we motor out. Wind was about 10knots deep on our port quarter, with moderate waves as we motored towards Moser channel and the seven mile bridge. We get under the bridge ok, with wind and waves on the beam. We clear the shallows near the bridge then turn into the waves and wind.. The wind is picking up and waves getting bigger and more frequent. Boat speed is down to less than 4 knots, but I trudge on, getting wet from crashing waves and wishing Miss Adventure had a dodger like my Pearson 35 does. We make into the marina, which is part of the Hyatt in Marathon. It is a super nice marina, but super expensive too. Minimum slip charge is for a 35' boat, so im paying for 10' I don't have. Included with slip is a pump out, electric, water, ice, pool, laundry, newspaper, showers. The admiral arrives by plane tomorrow to finish the trip with me and my brother is leaving. I'm staying here until Monday morning. The strong southerly winds are going to die down to about nothing by then and I will begin my northward journey.

THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Monday morning we left FaroBlanco with winds around 10knots, with higher gusts. Had the best sailing of the trip so far. A broad to beam reach all the way to steam boat channel (about 25 miles ). Then motored into the Lorelei anchorage to reward ourselves with dinner at the Lorelei. Tuesday was light winds on our nose, so we motored about 20 miles to Gilberts Tiki bar and marina. Fueled up here and will spend the night. Tomorrow's forcast is for no wind, so we will motor up to Boca Chita key and stay there tomorrow night.

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:11 pm

Hey Cus,

How ya doin. I checked out yesterday late & am making my way back on the road.

Would love to hear more details about Faro Blanco. It seems that with the weather we got this trip. That would've been a better spot for me on Gulf side, for more sailing.

Anyway, hope you guys are well. & keep up the details :)

Fair Winds...

THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:59 am

I'm finally getting around to loading video from the trip. Here is a shot of us on a deep reach in 10 knots, bayside near Grassy Key, heading towards Steamboat Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouGiZaopRJ0

mrron_tx
First Officer

Post by mrron_tx » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Looks like a good trip :) Ron.

whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by whgoffrn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:19 pm

just curious if you are still down there and what the winds are like.....I keep trying to make it down there and everytime I get some time off work I check my windapps 15-20kt winds for days.....are the seas pretty rough right now? thinking of going down for a few days next week

THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:24 am

Wish I was still there, but alas, work called me back afew weeks ago :(