Weather sites

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Weather sites

Post by yukonbob » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Watching for a weather window next week I realized I forgot to share this site and app (no affiliation).

https://www.windytv.com/

You can view wind, waves, pressure and can from surface to air and the app has 500mb option. You can advance the graphics at the bottom and can click anyway see for site specific details. You'll find web cams, wave details and tons more info the more you play around with it. As you zoom in weather bouys and stations become available as green blue and grey circles and further in satellite imagery becomes available automatically but you can always make that the default background but slows it down considerably. The forecasting is as accurate / inaccurate as most anywhere but I find observations and common sense and adavancing the graphics and watching the pressure systems move I can better predict than most available forecasts (in my area anyways, as our forecasts are done down south :| ) I'll be watching the low pressure systems as they move towards the BC coast to plan my trip.

K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Weather sites

Post by K9Kampers » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:24 pm

That's neat... kinda like staring at a lava lamp!

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:30 am

What no pop-up ads? No data mining that slows even my desktop down to a crawl, and renders my notebook unusable? :P

Neat site. I've bookmarked it so I can mess about in there to see what's what. :wink: 8)

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 am

Tomfoolery wrote:What no pop-up ads? No data mining that slows even my desktop down to a crawl, and renders my notebook unusable? :P

Neat site. I've bookmarked it so I can mess about in there to see what's what. :wink: 8)
Ya i just hope it doesn't become too popular and they try and make it 'better' and screw it all up.

Crikey
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Can I interface this with my new App ....... "What was I s'posed to check next?"
I like the presentation of the program.