Cheap slips in upper keys with electric

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: beene, Hamin' X, tangentair, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod

whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Cheap slips in upper keys with electric

Post by whgoffrn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:22 pm

I'm still undecided on what my summer vacation is going to be but tossing around the possibility of upper keys....I originally was gonna buy a honda 2000iu generator but now considering being lazy and cheaper and just staying at a marina to charge batteries and run ac at night....anyone know any cheap marinas with ac and free truck /trailer storeage in upper keys?

whgoffrn
Captain

Re: Cheap slips in upper keys with electric

Post by whgoffrn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Well I found one that seems like a good fit ....smugglers cove $8 per foot for the whole week not bad 200 bux for a week plus it's right beside the draw bridge at snake creek so won't have to take the mast up and down to cross over

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 am

Doesn't look like they have a launch ramp. Active Captain's map shoes a ramp (and a different dock layout), but Google maps doesn't show a ramp, and neither does the dock map on their web site. Looks like they took it out to build a pool (coming soon!). Hardly the end of the world, as you could launch elsewhere and have someone bring the trailer and tow vehicle around, but something to look into.

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:44 am

Tomfoolery wrote:Doesn't look like they have a launch ramp. ...... Hardly the end of the world, as you could launch elsewhere and have someone bring the trailer and tow vehicle around, but something to look into.
I noticed that also. One nice thing is there are practically 'free' buses that run up and down the keys. Launch and take the boat to the marina and then the bus back to the vehicle/trailer. Does that marina let you leave a vehicle and trailer there?

Also maybe time to start practicing for the Bahamas and anchor out for the week and go without the air conditioning 8) :x :wink: . Good way to work out using the anchoring gear and other items to see what you will be doing without marinas or saving money in case you want to use them over there :wink:

That is a nice area of the Keys on the Gulf side. I like it there. I was on the water in the first part of June once down here and the heat wasn't as bad as on land. The humidity skyrockets the end of June and on into fall. We plan on being out of here in May this year,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm

I said it before I loved hawks cay resort ,they give a big discount ,we paid 900 for the month but that was slip ,full use of the resort ,pools and hot tubs ,free Starbucks in the a.m ,great slip and nice parking for truck and trailer ,great sailing ,in the middle between pennecamp and Bahia Honda , google it for pics , not what we were looking for but seemed almost like a value by the time we paid for parking separately!

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:25 pm

That place actually does have a SMALL little rocky ramp off to the side if u look at Google Earth the guy said he's seen 20 foot boats go off it so I'm sure a mac would probably be the biggest boat to go off it but I'm hoping with truck in 4wd and with the shallow 1 foot of draft it will be possible .... guy claims 1 mile to the north is a public ramp ....if it was just me I'd anchor out but I'll be going with 2 buddies so a full week with 3 adults crammed into it is what pushed me to ditch the generator and ac idea ..the end of July it will be crazy hot but I wanted to make it for lobster season and with 3 grown adults eating and drinking I'd rather save some room in the boat and leave supplies in the truck .....I think once again I'm going to bail on the plan for bahamas ...at least until I build up more vacation and can dedicate a month off work to wait for weather windows
Last edited by whgoffrn on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:34 pm

South Dade Marina. It's small and very basic......but is very inexpensive. Has a boat ramp and parking for your tow @ $10 a day. Easy access to Manatee Bay then the ICW to points north or south. Its a great central location to do day or overnight trips from. Call and talk to Bob, he is friendly and very accommodating. Oh, and the marina is for sailboats only 8)

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:05 pm

South dade is where we originally were gonna park the truck and trailer but I think we got a bit lazier .... and due to cramped conditions will probably end up at that smugglers place....it's looking better and better 204 bux for the week with electric and water right beside of snake creek draw bridge and if I can't use their ramp founders park with a ramp is only one mile up the road .... I'll probably still want to anchor out at least 2 nights but with 2 of my buddies who I'm sure will be eating up all the food and drinking beer all week it will be tons of trips in the dingy if I attempted anchoring out the whole time. I have a 35lb Mantus and the next size smaller 22lb mantus I think....plus 2 fortress anchors.... and going to be fabricating a bridle of some fashion for the cleats and eye at bow for trailer to ensure nothing rips out...same with the stern ....so I'm fairly confident in the boat not dragging. just trying to devise in my head how to keep the rope from catching on bottom of the boat when it turns or switches directions in Bahamian mooring. ....maybe an anchor mushroom 20 feet from where it's hooked to the boat and some slack so the anchor with no pressure put on it sinks sharply Into water and won't catch underneath of boat ....I also have 12 Davis rocker stoppers ...3 for each stanchion and they seemed to work pretty well last time with 3 not putting too much pressure on each stanchion .....so yeah a big part of me wants to see if my plan would work for an extended trip from shore but I can already tell my buddies would wear me out on trips back and forth getting ice beer food etc etc ....I'm a minimalist and can easily survive off nothing but cans of ravioli uncooked all week and I rarely drink but I doubt my buddies will go for that so marina it is

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:25 pm

With two other guys....I can understand the marina.

That boat won't go anywhere on a 35# Mantus. Mine goes nowhere with the 25# Manson Supreme.

When you anchor using a Bahamian Moor you leave enough slack in the lines so that when it swings to the second anchor the slack lets the boat swing by. Also I always anchor with my CB and rudder up so there is no way the line will catch on the bottom of the boat. I also don't want to swing into something on anchor and have the CB possible catch and take the chance of breaking it. Bring them up at night.

I never used a Bahamian Moor in the Bahamas in a channel like they always show. I will use it to get the boat closer to shore and not have to worry about swinging into the shore on a wind shift. One negative to the Bahmian Moor is if you stay in one place a few days the lines can wrap as the boat swings 360 a couple times.

I'll never again use a stern anchor if there is going to be any major wind. Too much stress on things. In high winds keep all the lines to the bow only (which a Bahamian Moor does).

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:20 am

Don't know if you were talking about hawks cay but they have a great ramp ,we put our 26x in but saw much bigger boats , I tell you you get alot of the same experiences there that you get in the Bahamas ! My kids dove for lobsters and caught plenty of fish ! 1 month there or bimini and you will wanna quit your job anyway !

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Haha that's when we are going down is mini lobster season .. last week in July....I don't know the first thing about where to find lobster ...we don't have scuba tanks so will try to see if I can find my top spot map and find shallow places for lobster diving

vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Just a word of caution about mini lobster season...it is mayhem down there. Other guys can testify and confirm or not, but every Tom, Dick, and Harry that ever thought about having a boat, or anything that could be called a boat, will be out there floating around the best spots. Some, many, go early to scout the spots out and then anchor and get real ugly if you encroach. I know several prople who swore they'd never go back because it was so cutthroat during that weekend. Might be worth planning to be there early because of the extra traffic, and be extra careful when on the water because people become very...umm..focused.
The only thing I can think of to compare it to is Black Friday at the store...

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Lol that's what I've heard it's a big disaster .....I guess that's one benefit of a mac in that we can find a spot the the day before anchor on it and wait for sunrise ....should make for an interesting two days lol....I'm considering paying for one of those gps coordinates sites .... $100 so pricey but maybe it would save some time and effort

vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:36 am

So another little trick to keep in mind... If you happen upon a ledge with antenna sticking out, if there are more than one pair, usually, the larger lobster is further back in the hole. The little ones get the front seat, so to speak. So if you see a little squeaker squirt out of a hole to run away from you, take the time to look in the hole again...maybe even with a light.

And never stick your hand into a hole without knowing what is in it, especially if you are snorkeling...moray eels hide in the same types of holes, and can clamp down on your hand and lock you in so you can't get back to the surface. Just a little safety advice.

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Eh I hate mini season. People get crazy. I think someone got shot last year. I usually try to be somewhere miles away from any lobster habitats :D ill just pop one of those cans of cold ravioli and forget about it. 8)
This year maybe ill buy some Maine lobster and keep them in the cooler in case the rangers stop me.
Ix